At3k Turret Help

Screw hole stripped?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

So, I'm almost finished overhauling my 3K, and I find that the screw hole on the back of the turret rod seems to be stripped. The screw for it just slides right through, which is a big problem since it holds the rotation mechanism together. Now, I could just glue it in, but I like to be able to take it back apart just in case it fucks up, which, seeing as this is my last unmodified 3K, would be very, very bad. Does anybody know how I could fix this?
Thanks,
Salmon

EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks cheesypiza!

Edited by Salmon, 24 January 2010 - 12:32 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

So, I'm almost finished overhauling my 3K, and I find that the screw hole on the back of the turret rod seems to be stripped. The screw for it just slides right through, which is a big problem since it holds the rotation mechanism together. Now, I could just glue it in, but I like to be able to take it back apart just in case it fucks up, which, seeing as this is my last unmodified 3K, would be very, very bad. Does anybody know how I could fix this?
Thanks,
Salmon

Not sure if this will work for metal, but when I have a screwport stripped on something plastic I have used the larger, old school nerf screws with success.

#3 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

The screw which you are speaking of is wider than all of the other 3k screws. You may think it's stripped because it doesn't hold when it's screwed in, but you probably either mixed it up with another screw, or you lost it. I had the same thing happen to me.

#4 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

The screw which you are speaking of is wider than all of the other 3k screws. You may think it's stripped because it doesn't hold when it's screwed in, but you probably either mixed it up with another screw, or you lost it. I had the same thing happen to me.

That could be the problem. I have a really messy worktable, and none of the 3K screws I tried to replace it with worked, so it makes sense I misplaced the right screw. The thing was working fine the night before, so it seems improbable the threads would strip with no cause. I'll look around; but if I can't find that particular screw, do you know of any that might work as a replacement?

EDIT: Never mind, cheesy was right after all. I had mixed up the important screw with one of the useless little screws, and nearly threw it away. Boy am I glad I didn't!

Edited by Salmon, 24 January 2010 - 12:32 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#5 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

That could be the problem. I have a really messy worktable, and none of the 3K screws I tried to replace it with worked, so it makes sense I misplaced the right screw. The thing was working fine the night before, so it seems improbable the threads would strip with no cause. I'll look around; but if I can't find that particular screw, do you know of any that might work as a replacement?

If you are willing to buy a tap, then you could drill it out, then tap it.
Drill 7/64.
tap with mcmaster part# 2662A43.
Install 6-32 screw.
That is, if you can't find the stock screw.
The stock screw has machine threads, and they are very fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users