24 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

BAFF #3

Date: December 12 [/s]

Time:11 a.m. is when the first round will start, try to get to the field by 10:45... Not sure about where in the park as of right now.

ATTENDANCE: ...... Please confirm if you are in or not
DEFINITE:
Blue
Just Some Bob
Aquinas
Dubcwill
HOTH
N9
Jman210
NOT COMING:
Falcon
MAYBE:
Samzilla
William Cann Memorial Park, Union City, California 94587

Alright, so the general plan is to get something going once a month for everyone that attended FMNO 2 and all other bay area nerfers. This will turn into a war thread once a location is chosen, but there were many ideas about this at the war, so post them and we can all choose the best location.

Also,

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATES ARE GIVEN BELOW!

Announcing a mailing list for SF Bay Area folks who don't want to check the forums all the time for war info:
Bay Area Foam Flingers Announcement messages right to your regular email inbox. Please state your general location in your first message to the group after joining. City is enough, be more specific if you wish. Right now we're only accepting members who can attend events in the San Francisco bay area. If you don't have a yahoo ID then send an email (it can be empty) to BayAreaFoamFlingers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and you should receive a reply with instructions for signing up via email. If you have a yahoo ID then just click the "join this group!" button.

Edited by Blue, 11 December 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for putting this up. The 12th of this month will work for me. As for the time, should we bump it up one hour and begin at noon? Just a thought.

As for location: the good news is that there are a bunch of parks in Fremont, as revealed by a simple Google Maps search. The more... complicated news is that we have no idea what any of them look like. The biggest among them is the Coyote Hills Regional Park, which is right on the bay and actually not far from Fisher Park. Across town there's the Fremont Central Park, and a whole bunch of little ones (more akin to Fisher) scattered in-between.

We've got time until the 12th; we (or a select few of us with cars) may need to do a little scouting, particularly those who live near Fremont. If we can share this effort, that'd be great; I would be happy to volunteer a Saturday and make a drive to do some field research at selected parks and snap some photos.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#3 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

Don't know if I can make this one. At some point in December, I'll probably be down in LA for christmas with my family, and I'll be nerfing with the So Cal guys and a few of the Chicago guys. If I'm around on the 12th, I'll make it. If I'm not, I'll see you all in January.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#4 dubcwill

dubcwill

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

Coming.

As for areas, would it be reasonable to put an area in San Ramon rather than elsewhere? I've been to nearly every park around me (not only San Ramon) and I have a couple ideas.

Edited by dubcwill, 18 November 2009 - 09:53 PM.

He's my slave. Or he will be. I promise when I take over youtube, I will enslave Uni13. That is all. DBNF

#5 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

Count me in! There are a ton of places around there, but that coyote place looked pretty awesome to me. also, maybe we could try playing in the school at fischer park this time... just an idea.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#6 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Alright, I was expecting a few more people to post here, but it looks like the 12th is set, and that the war will start at 11 a.m.?

#7 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Alright, I was expecting a few more people to post here, but it looks like the 12th is set, and that the war will start at 11 a.m.?

Sounds great to me. i posted a thread on NerfRevolution as well, I will transfer any people from there to here.
My YouTube

#8 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:47 AM

Alright, I have a location suggestion, I checked the emails from the mailing list and I do not think that anyone has suggested this location quite yet, so I will:

Central Park, Fremont, CA

Official city link:

Fremont Official Webpage

also, No one really ever answered me with my dart question. I will admit, I am being ignorant, but, can someone just do a quick sum-up of what kind of darts to bring and what kinds not to bring? It would help a lot seeing as I have over 500 of one type, and I would be crushed if I showed and could not use them.

Thanks guys, see you on the 12th!

P.S:

Blue, I'm bringing the sneakshot, and it is hella good now, haha.
My YouTube

#9 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

Dart/ball/missile projectile rules ... as you know, we're still discussing that. Here's a rough summary:

Any metal must be roughly spherical or cylindrical. Nothing pointed. No metal can remain exposed. There has to be at least an inch of foam in at least one dimension.

Weight examples:

okay:
+bb
+washer
+hex nut

not okay:
-screw
-nail
-tack

But, since you ignored the invitation to tell us exactly how your darts ARE made, it's really not looking that favorable for them. "Mystery" darts are out. If yours should happen to be those ones we have found with wood screws in them (even though backwards), then I strongly advise you to dump all those into your municipal recycling bin, because the points make them unacceptable for leaving even one in the park, ever. Little kids run barefoot through these parks.

Thank you very much. This helped, and my darts are not the wood screw darts. They are made with 3/0 fishing weights, and all of the weight is covered with hot glue. Now, my darts are not mystery darts, so I hope very much that I can actually put them to use. I did use these exact darts and BAFF #2, and no complaints arouse, I just needed to clarify, due to all the talk around the mailing group.
My YouTube

#10 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:57 AM

HOTH, I think you're good to go on the darts issue. Thank you for taking an active part in the discussion. I think we're coming to a good consensus.

Also, just confirming to everyone that December 12th at 11:00 am will work for me.

I actually listed the Fremont Central Park as a possible location (post #2 on this thread); my only issue with that is what the crowds would be like on Saturday, it being a "central park" and all. My bet is still with the Coyote Hills Regional Park. In the meantime, we still have TWO weeks. I will definitely make a trip to the East Bay to do some scouting, hopefully this week. I will check out Fremont Central, Coyote Hills, and a host of other locations. Let's hope we find another suitable location.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#11 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

Scouting will be useless for crowds unless you go this Saturday at 10:30. If you can get to an empty space then, we are good to go because people will stay away from us once we have a foothold in the area.

#12 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

What you stated is obviously true, and I admittedly doubt my scouting will be done on a Saturday. Nevertheless, there are plenty of other things to scout for (i.e. the general landscape, availability of trees / cover, parking, restrooms, etc.) and worth noting. Also, the general location and surroundings of certain parks can give you clues as to how busy it may get.

Just done some online research:

Coyote Hills is gigantic with a very diverse landscape, but there's also a $5 parking fee. I don't think the parents would like that too much. Here's a link: http://www.ebparks.o...ks/coyote_hills

The Fremont Central Park is bigger than I thought, yet as a municipal park, much of the north end of the property is occupied by sports fields, a golf course, and even a water park. Our hope is finding a suitable location in the picnic area down south. Here's a map detailing the layout of the park: http://www.fremont.g...w.aspx?DID=2138

IF we choose here, I do think there will inevitably be plenty of people around on a Saturday morning/afternoon. Let's hope we can find a more secluded spot and not get in anybody's way.

Just looked up a few more parks in the Union City area (actually a bit north of Fremont), found a nice one: William Cann Neighborhood Park (at http://www.union-cit...ighborhood.htm) compared with a few other Union City parks I found, this one has no sport fields, seems relatively isolated, has a front page with a nice picture of TREES present (a simple google image search reveals more trees in the park), and it's got a restroom. I have to check this place out.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#13 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

What you stated is obviously true, and I admittedly doubt my scouting will be done on a Saturday. Nevertheless, there are plenty of other things to scout for (i.e. the general landscape, availability of trees / cover, parking, restrooms, etc.) and worth noting. Also, the general location and surroundings of certain parks can give you clues as to how busy it may get.

Just done some online research:

Coyote Hills is gigantic with a very diverse landscape, but there's also a $5 parking fee. I don't think the parents would like that too much. Here's a link: http://www.ebparks.o...ks/coyote_hills

The Fremont Central Park is bigger than I thought, yet as a municipal park, much of the north end of the property is occupied by sports fields, a golf course, and even a water park. Our hope is finding a suitable location in the picnic area down south. Here's a map detailing the layout of the park: http://www.fremont.g...w.aspx?DID=2138

IF we choose here, I do think there will inevitably be plenty of people around on a Saturday morning/afternoon. Let's hope we can find a more secluded spot and not get in anybody's way.

Just looked up a few more parks in the Union City area (actually a bit north of Fremont), found a nice one: William Cann Neighborhood Park (at http://www.union-cit...ighborhood.htm) compared with a few other Union City parks I found, this one has no sport fields, seems relatively isolated, has a front page with a nice picture of TREES present (a simple google image search reveals more trees in the park), and it's got a restroom. I have to check this place out.

I do not know about everyone else, but I think coyote park looks too good to resist, nerf-wise. I will pay for my mom's parking, I mean $5.00 isn't much. But I totally understand if it is vetoed due to people not willing to pay for parking
My YouTube

#14 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Considering how much time and effort is already spent to get to the war, 5 bucks is not all that much. I am worried about the location being more trail-like than a park, the pictures made it look kind of like a nature reserve.

#15 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Considering how much time and effort is already spent to get to the war, 5 bucks is not all that much. I am worried about the location being more trail-like than a park, the pictures made it look kind of like a nature reserve.

Yes, I agree with the fact that it looks more like a spot for hiking/ walking, meaning little cover and bunkers. But who knows? If we really research it, there may be something.
My YouTube

#16 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

I'm with Bob here in the sense that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and we have to be aware of that. Yet it's evident that there has been growing discontentment from a number of us with Fisher Park; lack of cover and restrooms seem to be big strikes. I deem scouting to be good and necessary at this point. I do think we can do better venue-wise.

There is little doubt that Coyote Hills resemble more as a nature reserve than a park, but I'll scout it out nevertheless. I do think there will be some fields / picnic areas available and suitable to our needs. However, for me, at this point, Coyote Hills either needs to be really, really good, or virtually ALL the other places need to really, really suck to justify that 5 dollar parking fee. With parents, the argument can go either way; either it's Blue's logic, or the "What? Another FIVE DOLLARS?????" logic.

I have high hopes for William Cann (there are trees and bathrooms there!). Let's hope it works out.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#17 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

From what I understand, we are locked on Fischer Park, and if things have been checked out earlier that day or whatever we can move to a different location from there?

#18 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

Alright, thread is updated. Please post here if you are in or not.

#19 Aquinas

Aquinas

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

Many, many thanks for updating, and I'm in.
"Who's Steve?"
"Stiff. With an 'F'."

#20 Samzilla

Samzilla

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Put me down as a maybe! Ill probably just show up for a round or two.
BAFF WTB Airtanks, pumps, airgun stuff

#21 Jman210

Jman210

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

I'm in.

#22 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

Bump...

#23 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:21 AM

It looks like rain is likely to be a concern

http://abclocal.go.c...er?cityId=94536

So...

#24 Samzilla

Samzilla

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

Probably not gonna make it now. (school stuff)
BAFF WTB Airtanks, pumps, airgun stuff

#25 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

It looks like rain is likely to be a concern

http://abclocal.go.c...er?cityId=94536

Unfortunately, every time it updates Saturday seems to be for the worse. Now it's "Cloudy and breezy; rain, heavy at times in the afternoon."

Blue needs to make the final call, but a couple of us have proposed to use the time instead to carpool around to several candidate parks and scout (including taking photos) for a January BAFF. Anyone interested in the local discussion may join the mailing list as announced earlier.

Due to bad weather, we are going to call off the war.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users