Photo

New Dart Concept

9 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hey all. Just thought I'd share a quick concept I've been trying out in dart making lately that's had good results for me. And who knows? Maybe it'll work for others too. What I've been doing is simple; I take a blank dart, burn a hole and drop in a wieght as usual. I then make a small dome, right in the center of the end of the dart (This is important). Now this is where I veer off course a little. Instead of calling it done, I use the glue gun to melt off the edges of the dart at a slant, up to the tip, so that it slants toward the dome. The top of the dart should now look more like a flattened cone.

..__
./...\
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|

Heres what I'm trying to show. If pictures are needed, lemme know and I'll get some up. Anyhow, if you have a spare dart next time your making a batch, give this a shot and see how it goes. Mostly helps accuracy for me.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, tidge did a batch of those ages ago. They feed well in the stefan-modded cs-6 clips.
You have to get them just right or they spin or curve in their flight.
I think we jokingly called them "bullet" darts
- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

#3 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

They kinda do look like bullets, no? But yeah, I have noticed that when I've made 'em. If you don't get the angles pretty consistent, it does through off the accuracy. Thats why I stress getting the dome in the exact center, it really helps with that.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#4 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Pictures would be nice, thank you.

I tried something very similar to this, but it never worked for me, unless I have bad dartsmithing skills. The darts never hit the target with whatever gun I used.

#5 bobman

bobman

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Yes I also do this with my darts with great results. :)
No Comment...

#6 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

So they're basically like Slug's felt and washer stefans? I'd use these, 'cept it seems like you'd have to make the slants just perfect for them to function properly... Are they just about as accurate as slug darts, then? And pictures/dart comparison videos would be nice. :)
John Hancock

#7 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

So they're basically like Slug's felt and washer stefans? I'd use these, 'cept it seems like you'd have to make the slants just perfect for them to function properly... Are they just about as accurate as slug darts, then? And pictures/dart comparison videos would be nice. :)

I'm pretty sure they're pretty much nothing like Slug's darts unless I'm understanding him wrong.

Anyway, not a bad idea. My only problem with this would be almost encouraging people to make the ends of their darts pointy. If that began to happen, we would obviously have some serious problems.
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#8 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

I'm pretty sure they're pretty much nothing like Slug's darts unless I'm understanding him wrong.

Oh, I wasn't talking construction-wise, I was talking shape wise. The way the air flows over it looks similar to how the air would flow over those felt things Slug uses. (I forgot the name)

Anyway, not a bad idea. My only problem with this would be almost encouraging people to make the ends of their darts pointy. If that began to happen, we would obviously have some serious problems.

Dunno, if you just kept the shape like CROW has them, it seems like it would be fine...
John Hancock

#9 pinz321

pinz321

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Seems simple. I'm guessing here, but I think that a good way to get consistency is either to make a mold or in the mid-point of the drying of the hot glue, you shape it with your fingers or something. I'm leaning towards the mold.
Effeminate quotes
uin13 a.k.a ice.-have you ever wondered why root-beer
has the word "beer" in it?

BritNerfMogul- Since when have McDonalds and Nerf been associated?

FURYfire, not Fluryfire.

#10 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

Interesting, but not practical. It would be difficult to get the slants consistant on the dart, and in a group of darts. Plus, slug darts are already EXTREMELY acurate and easy to make!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users