A Question On Two-handed Guns

and I promise it's not as long as my OTHER topic

18 replies to this topic

#1 Jpec07

Jpec07

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

So I recently finished a basic mod of my new BBB, and in firing it, I couldn't help but notice a fairly large disparity between where I thought the darts were going to go and where they were actually going. It was consistent, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the gun, but what I figured out was something rather interesting.

With two-handed guns (and the BBB in particular, due to its peculiar setup with the trigger at the back), I have found that I am generally more accurate if the hand I place at the front of the gun is my dominant hand. While I could learn how to be more accurate leading lefty, it seems to make the fire a lot straighter if the hand in charge of orientation is stronger.

So my question for you is this: which hand do you put at the front of your two-handed gun? Have you ever tried switching? Discuss!

#2 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

My dominant hand (left) works the trigger, while my non-dominant hand (right) works the front end, usually the priming, because I prefer shotgun style guns. I can use my left eye to aim, which I prefer over my non dominant right.

Switching is too uncomfortable.

Try working the trigger with your dominant so you can use your dominant eye to aim, see if that helps.

#3 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

I understand what you are saying but with almost all people, the dominant eye has a better shot. Here is a link to directions that help you to find your eye dominance. Normally, you should have your dominant hand on the rear most handle so that you can line up the sights with your dominant eye. If you are right handed, chances are you are right eye dominant, though this is not always true. If you have opposite dominances with you hands and eyes, then I guess you have to figure it out.

#4 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm blind in one eye, so my choice of holding my blasters has been chosen for me.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#5 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

The BBB is a difficult gun to aim, I had trouble with mine. Where are the shots going? I added a NF to the front handle of mine and it made aiming much easier.
I can aim sooo well with my PAS, I know it sound mean but...I hit a squirrel from a tree about 30 feet away. Ask Cheesy, he was there.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#6 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

I can aim sooo well with my PAS, I know it sound mean but...I hit a squirrel from a tree about 30 feet away. Ask Cheesy, he was there.

Yes. It was quite an experience.

#7 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

I find I am a bit more accurate while aiming from the hip, actually. It seems that I track and judge moving targets better that way, also. Funny things, humans.

Edited by Eh_Watt?, 08 October 2009 - 03:56 PM.

John Hancock

#8 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yes. It was quite an experience.

Although I do feel bad for the squirrel. I felt like he was going to come back and kill me!
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#9 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

In our wars we play where you get hit in (example) the left arm you lose your left arm, and can no longer use it until you are either screwed over as a torso boy, and are mercy killed or shot in the torso. (Torso boy is the condition we call [for jokes] some one who lost every limb excluding their head, so they just have a head and a torso in play. We found the term in the weird Al Yankovic song Albuquerque) So I prefer to use my raider, and can easily pump it 1 armed.

Edited by death by cheez, 08 October 2009 - 04:40 PM.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

I prefer to use large volumes of foam, thus negating the need for "aim".
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#11 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

In our wars we play where you get hit in (example) the left arm you lose your left arm, and can no longer use it until you are either screwed over as a torso boy, and are mercy killed or shot in the torso. (Torso boy is the condition we call [for jokes] some one who lost every limb excluding their head, so they just have a head and a torso in play. We found the term in the weird Al Yankovic song Albuquerque) So I prefer to use my raider, and can easily pump it 1 armed.

I like that idea, I usaly end up playing with one or 2 friends so this would spice the game up a bit.

#12 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Depending on how you hold your blaster, eye dominance has little to do with hand dominance (imo). When qualifying on the M9 pistol, I had to switch hands and fire a few rounds with my non-dominant hand pulling the trigger (all in under a given amount of time, of course). Though I was firing with my non-dominant hand, I still aimed with my dominant eye because the pistol is pretty much right in front of my face. When I NERF, I hold the blaster in front of my face also. I kinda line up the center of my blaster right between my eyes. Then I just look at what I want to hit and pull the trigger. I don't actually "aim" with one eye looking down sights or anything. I think lining up the blaster with the center of your face/eyes is one of the best ways to intuitively fire accurately and consistently. It may feel a little awkward at first, but give it a try. So yeah...in NERF, I aim with eyes (more like pointing and shooting).

#13 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Since my left eye is dominant, I shoot with my left hand on the trigger and my right hand on the fore grip.
I hate shooting right handed, even though my right hand is my dominant hand. It doesn't feel "natural" unless I shoot lefty.

So I prefer to use my raider, and can easily pump it 1 armed.

How the fuck do you use a raider with one arm? I found it to be impossible because you can't push the slide forward.

#14 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have significantly worse vision in my right eye than my left, however, I'm a righty. This means that I either can't use a stock, or I need to be able to fit my head over the stop to get my left eye lined up. But yeah, I just kinda go for the "pistol aiming" seoulman was talking about, where you can aim with either eye because the blaster is right in front of your face, rather than to the side (like with a stock).

#15 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

I hold my Bow with the left holding it up and my right aiming. I don't have time to aim, so I just run and shoot and hope I hit them.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#16 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

Depending on how you hold your blaster, eye dominance has little to do with hand dominance (imo). When qualifying on the M9 pistol, I had to switch hands and fire a few rounds with my non-dominant hand pulling the trigger (all in under a given amount of time, of course). Though I was firing with my non-dominant hand, I still aimed with my dominant eye because the pistol is pretty much right in front of my face. When I NERF, I hold the blaster in front of my face also. I kinda line up the center of my blaster right between my eyes. Then I just look at what I want to hit and pull the trigger. I don't actually "aim" with one eye looking down sights or anything. I think lining up the blaster with the center of your face/eyes is one of the best ways to intuitively fire accurately and consistently. It may feel a little awkward at first, but give it a try. So yeah...in NERF, I aim with eyes (more like pointing and shooting).

When firing something similar to a small shotgun, wouldn't the recoil smash the rear end of the gun into you face and maybe brake your nose? I remember that once I was firing my +Bow that way and I put the stock right up to my face and when I fired, the stock smashed into my face and it kinda hurt.

#17 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

I shoot darts at people. They hold up their guns...
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#18 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

I'm near-blind in my shooting eye, I so use two eyes to aim. Or get close enough to point and shoot (mostly the former)
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#19 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

So we're all telling each other something that no one else cares about ourselves? How uplifting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users