Photo

Gluing Plastic To Neodymium Metal Magnets

9 replies to this topic

#1 Winterstrike

Winterstrike

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

I'm currently working on a project involving some of my guns using very strong magnets. The best way to attach the magnets to the guns is probably some kind of glue, but I'm not sure which one to use. I tried hot glue but the magnets are too strong and they just peel off the glue, leaving the glue on the guns. These magents are really strong for their size.

Do you guys have any tips on what I should use? I have some two part epoxy called araldite and I wonder if that would do the trick. I could go down to the hardware store and ask for suggestions but I'm thinking you guys would probably know more than some random guy who knows nothing about modding.

The only other option I can think of is drilling holes into the gun and looping wire around the magnets, but this seems extreme. I'm hoping some really strong glue is the best solution.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

JB Weld 2-Part Steel Epoxy
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

I'm currently working on a project involving some of my guns using very strong magnets. The best way to attach the magnets to the guns is probably some kind of glue, but I'm not sure which one to use. I tried hot glue but the magnets are too strong and they just peel off the glue, leaving the glue on the guns. These magents are really strong for their size.

Do you guys have any tips on what I should use? I have some two part epoxy called araldite and I wonder if that would do the trick. I could go down to the hardware store and ask for suggestions but I'm thinking you guys would probably know more than some random guy who knows nothing about modding.

The only other option I can think of is drilling holes into the gun and looping wire around the magnets, but this seems extreme. I'm hoping some really strong glue is the best solution.

One thing me and my friend did was glue the magnets with hot glue and then putting duct tape over the whole thing.

#4 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

I'd suggest doing the wire and JB Weld. I believe the Jb Weld can adhere to magnets since it's steel, and it will keep it from wiggling around at all while the wire keeps the magnets secured on the gun.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#5 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

For better adherance of the jb weld try to "scuff", or scratch the magnets and the plastic
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#6 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Don't scuff your magnets because they are more than likely covered in a protective nickel coating. I have neodymium magnets with incredible pull force (think 2x2x.5 in.) so I have worked with them a bit. The two part epoxy should work, I've used some dev'con 60 second epoxy with one of those self mixing tubes and it worked fine when I covered the magnet in e-tape. It all depends on the size of your magnets, though. JB weld should be fine too. Good luck.

#7 Winterstrike

Winterstrike

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:05 AM

I ended up using Araldite, as I couldn't find any of this JB weld. It should hold anyways. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

#8 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

I ended up using Araldite, as I couldn't find any of this JB weld. It should hold anyways. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

JB Weld usually found in Automotive stores and some Hardware chains.

#9 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

And, as a note, you should never hot glue neodymium magnets to anything, as they're sensitive to heat ihgher than 150 degrees. As they're exposed to temperatures that high, they lose their magnetism quite quickly.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#10 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

And, as a note, you should never hot glue neodymium magnets to anything, as they're sensitive to heat ihgher than 150 degrees. As they're exposed to temperatures that high, they lose their magnetism quite quickly.

I almost forgot about that, good tip there SchizophrenicMC.

I believe other magnets are also sensitive to heat, the actual temperatures the magnet will lose its magnetic field varies with he type of magnet and the material the magnet is made from.

As for the topic of gluing a neodymium magnet, I was thinking applying some 2-part epoxy directly to the magnet and and the other surface then letting it dry before adding the epoxy to glue the magnet to the plastic of the blaster gun. Similar technique to gluing with contact cement. giving the chance for the epoxy to bond to the magnet before adding any weight/stress to the adhesive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users