A New Name For Nerf "wars"

No violent connotations

30 replies to this topic

#1 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Okay, first of all, I want to make it clear that I like calling our events "Wars."

Unfortunately, my school does not. To get an idea of what I'm dealing with here, take a look at this. It was passed over the summer while no members of Puget Sound Nerf Squad were here to defend it. Even if they had been, it didn't go through any student body organizations anyways.

Currently, we still exist. I went to Senate and said if they shut us down they'd have to shut down fencing club and martial arts club, and probably hockey, too. :D But some changes still need to be made.

Why this pertains to you:
If Nerf is to stay on my campus we need to have events that aren't called "Wars." I still want a name that suggests fun, foamy death, and releasing of one's inner child, but it has to be something that the same campus officials who wrote our weapons policy (see above) will see in a positive light.

One more thing, I think we'll have to rename ourselves to get rid of the word "Squad." It's not as bad as the "War" issue, but it has come up. Same deal as last time -- must be badass and nitpicky authority figure appropriate at the same time.

I figured the best place to ask for ideas was here. The only one I can really think of is "Foam Toss." It's hilarious, but... doesn't really allude to Nerf guns at all.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 19 September 2009 - 07:34 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#2 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Sociologically based physics experiments.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Argue that nerf is everything a sport like football or basketball.
If they shut you down, they'd have to shut everyone down.
Well, nerf BLASTERS are not weapons.

This definition does not include objects that are authorized, designated and used in accordance with departmental policies for operational, academic and/or recreational purposes

Tell them to take a look at this site. Then explain they've been calling these Nerf Wars Nerf Wars since Nerf came out.
Or call it battles.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Might I suggest Nerf "match."

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

You can always go with the term that has been used in just about every single acronym for a loaation-based event, that being outing.

The letter "O" in nearly every acronym (NCNO, DCNO, SFNO, NJNO, etc, etc, etc) stands for outing. Outing makes it sound like it is a peaceful gathering of those with common interests.

War should be a taboo word like blasters being called guns or the darts being called bullets. References to armor and shields should also be eliminated as these items are also related to war and combat.

Edited by badger, 19 September 2009 - 08:33 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#6 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

I was going to say "Foam Frolicking" Until I saw badgers idea.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Woah, wait, your going to school in the puget sound area? Why have you been at no WA state wars?

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Nerf Killzone.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

He lives in Minnesota. Someone from WA brought this up a while ago, and I can't remember why he calls it Puget Sound Nerf Squad, but yeah, It has nothing to do with WA.

Personally, I couldn't really care about all of this. I'm either going to nerf privately or at a college where its ok. Period.

Edit: Texas is definitely not Minnesota

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 19 September 2009 - 10:16 PM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#10 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

Renegade, I am from Minnesota but I go to school in Puget Sound. That's why it's called "Puget Sound Nerf Squad."

And yes, as much as I wanted to go to a school where Nerf is permitted, I wasn't about to let that dominate my decision. Also, the weapons policy was just implemented last summer -- we didn't have much problem getting things up and running, a year ago.

Tantum, I'm a little busy with school and don't have a car. I know pawning rides is allowed, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass until I'm sure I can stay on top of my schoolwork at the same time. But do keep me posted.

I think for now I will go with Flint's idea, though it would be nice if it had a little more badassery involved. Alas, sacrifices must be made.

Any ideas for a substitute of the word "squad?"

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 20 September 2009 - 02:33 AM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#11 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

Any ideas for a substitute of the word "squad?"

Team?
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:13 AM

I like the idea of Dart Tag, which we use around the neighborhood. Perhaps a more generic Foam Tag Match/Outing/Meet. Team is probably the natural choice, but what about Foam Club?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

Puget Sound Nerf:

- Community
- Enthusiasts
- Agents of SHIELD
- Nerfers
- Lads
- Team
- Activators

(Some are jokes, obviously)

Give a look at sgnerf.blogspot.com for any other wording, they like to use thinking in the vein of flashflint with "event" or "game". You could even take a page out of the NDTL handbook by using scrimmage. Personally I like skirmish, but that might still carry a connotation with it. Good luck!

#14 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:17 AM

I second the idea for "dart tag" that's essentially what nerf is, you get hit and you are out. Battle isn't good, because it has the same connotation as "war".

Other suggestions to put Nerf in front of: Skirmish, bombardments, volleys, clash, meet, contest, competitions, contentions, fray, encounters, campaign, engagement, sortie. Pick one you like, and run with it.

Out of those I like Nerf Skirmish best, but it's your dealo.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#15 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

I read a good chunk of that link. As long as your guns have orange tips, they are not weapons.
Coloring them bright colors would help too.
You wouldn't even need permission then, I bet.
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#16 KeiichiRX7

KeiichiRX7

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

Cheerleaders are fucked if they don't like the word "Squad"

Spirit Squad
Cheerleading Squad
Academic Squad
Lacrosse teams are called Squads
Basketball teams are sometimes called Squads.
It even gets tossed around in Marchign band.
And Heaven forbid we notice how much it's used in Civil and public service.

Some highschools even refer to sports teams in general as Squads.

It's synonymous with "team"

this related information section screws you a bit:
"Weapons" also include, but are not limited to: a pellet or BB gun, paintball or airsoft gun, blackjack, slingshot, billyclub, sandclub, sandbag, or metal knuckles, toy weapons (including squirt guns and nerf guns or any device capable of launching a projectile or substance) or any other devices, including replica or facsimile weapons, which could reasonably be mistaken for a weapon.

But you're right to suggest equal treatment to the fencing or matial arts clubs.

Edited by KeiichiRX7, 20 September 2009 - 06:49 AM.

Capt Slug thinks this thread is idiotic. Why did any of you seriously reply to this?

Why so serious?

#17 TAiLsChaser

TAiLsChaser

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

Royale.
"Every mod I do is original. I'm a true modder; not a mod re-performer."

"It’s only after you’ve made the mistake and taken the wrong path, do you see all the other options that were before you."

#18 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

We could kill our pride and call it a LARP.
Assuming that we like our pride the way it is, I'd go with dart tag.
Otherwise competition, possibly battle, or just regular old game sound descent.

Also:
Battles
About
Suction-cupped
Killing devices
(used for)
Entertainment
(and)
Torture
But
Allowing
Long ranged
Longshots

Needs some work, but we might just be able to call ourselves B.A.S.K.E.T.B.A.L.L.

#19 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

Nerf outs. Thats what they have been called in Minnesota for years. MNNO, or the Minnesota Nerf Out. See? it works.

Calling yourselves the Puget Sound Nerf Community is a good idea. Promotes the idea of Friendship. Or the Puget Sound Nerfers. The Pudget Sound Applied Physics Department.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#20 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

Anal slaughter happy diddle attack match.

j/k hows about dart tag? keep it simple and something that can be backed by labels already on some blasters.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#21 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

Nerf Enthusiasts Club.

Do you have a professor sponsoring your group? At my school in order to become an "official" club you needed a professor to be "in charge", although the students were usually still the ones running the show. A professor should be able to argue for you more effectively as well.

I would also make up a list of schools that hold giant "zombie" or "assassins" events and ask why your group is not ok when all these cooler schools get to hold big nerf related events.

My other suggestion would be that since arguing with school bureaucrats is a pain in the ass and ultimately pointless, you should just take it off campus. Get some big bags to carry your blasters in, and if you want to be extra sneaky, put some gear from other sports on top in case they ask you to open it.

Anyways, best of luck on working something out.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#22 Daethshot

Daethshot

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

Fest/ Foam Fest?
The CFNF was a huge hit down south..
Join the Revolution!

-----

Why are you looking at my sig... Stop looking at my sig! Don't you have better things to do with your time? No, no I guess hou don't...

#23 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

Team name: Pudget Sound Nerf Collective

War name: League?
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#24 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

Skirmish, Nerf Off, Hoedown. Anything really goes. Maybe even Cocktail/Dinner Party or Showdown.

Teams: call 'em teams. Christ.

Blasters: Ehh. Make the toy argument, ban stupid real gun look alikes (LS, Vulcan, PAS) and use crossbows and BBBs with their innocent plastic bows.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#25 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

it just dawned on me. if you are in the puget sound area why aren't you and you "squad" here at crossroads with us nerfing right now?
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users