Photo

Modded Recon Stops Shooting Need Help

One day it hits a good 50 feet, the next day it barely hits 20.

10 replies to this topic

#1 NerfPancakes

NerfPancakes

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

Ok guys so I really need your help. My beloved recon, probably my favorite nerf gun, has suddenly stopped working. So I hadn't shot it in about a week cause I have been usin the raider a crap ton. Yesterday I picked up my recon and decided to shoot it some just for the fun of it. Normally it hit a max of 60 feet, but usually 40 to 50, which is very common for Recons. However, when I shot a simple brand new out of raider box streamline dart, it could barely make it across half my hallway. The dart was shot fast, and the gun was loud, but the dart took some crazy spins and hit the ground. I opened it up and checked for all the needed pieces and springs and they were all there, so I just simply reassembled it. It did the same thing. Actually it added about 5 feet so I must have done somethin right, but it wasn't enough to completely fix it. What should I do, just trash it because maybe it's worn out I have had it for a good amount of time now, or should I keep trying to fix it? If you know what the problem is please tell me.
the only problem is, the scope is filled with roach bodies and roach crap.

#2 NerfPancakes

NerfPancakes

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

when I shot a simple brand new out of raider box streamline dart, it could barely make it across half my hallway. The dart was shot fast, and the gun was loud, but the dart took some crazy spins and hit the ground.

"brand new" doesn't prove the dart wasn't messed up.

Spinning pretty much proves it was. No point opening up the blaster for that.

Yeah and then I tried like 5 other darts and they didn't work so I tested the darts in the raider and they worked fine.

#3 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

did you check the o-ring??? maybe it dried out, or rotted away.
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#4 NerfPancakes

NerfPancakes

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

did you check the o-ring??? maybe it dried out, or rotted away.

Thanks I'll try that, but also if anyone else has any other suggestions tell me because there is a chance this might not work.

EDIT: I just opened it up and the o-ring is fine.

Edited by NerfPancakes, 21 September 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#5 NerfPancakes

NerfPancakes

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

Ok and also I've tried it with and without the detachable barrel

Edit: I've also now tried checking the muzzle and breach for dents, I even compared the internals to another modded recon and they are almost identical. It gives off plenty of air and I re-oiled everything and replaced all the electrical tape providing a better seal with new electrical tape. It's probably the weirdest nerf mod flunk I have had.

Edited by NerfPancakes, 21 September 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#6 X RUSHED X

X RUSHED X

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

It could be possible that it's the electrical tape. After a while, at least in my experience, it starts to leave a shitty residue in your plunger tube, and it can really screw with your gun's performance.

Edited by X RUSHED X, 21 September 2009 - 04:06 PM.

QUOTE(Hipponater @ Oct 7 2009, 05:34 PM) View Post

If it feels hard to pump, stop.

#7 flamingeyes245

flamingeyes245

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

The raider darts could be different than the other darts you were using.
Go back to your old darts.
Keep your friends close,
And your Nerf guns closer.

External Modification contest, check it out!

Using anything I write as a sig makes your penis shoot rainbows. Bitches LOVE rainbows
^^VACC

#8 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Raider darts are just streamlines.

Don't bother testing with the extended barrel - it'll just make the ranges suck more.

Aside from that, I don't know - I don't have much luck with Recons, sorry.
Fugly is a feature.

#9 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:02 AM

New unmodded streamlines tend to fishtail anyway. It's that little hole in the side of the head. Try filling the head with hot glue. There's probably nothing wrong with your recon at all, since the breech fires almost directly into open air, I doubt there's much that could divert your dart in the gun its self.

#10 Horus

Horus

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:47 AM

This may seem like an odd suggestion, but I believe you may have too many springs in your gun. If it made a "really loud noise", then it's quite possible that you made it too powerful for the wonky darts. Much like Tantumbull's problem with his Raider. Sometimes, especially when using stock darts [like I do exclusively], too many springs can be a bad thing. Just my two cents.
That is all.

#11 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Recons are wierd.

I'm not here to grow my e-penis, but my old Recon used to shoot 70 feet. No joke.

Range test after range test, 65, 70, 77, 62, 71, etc.

2 days later. Picked it up.

40, 45, 52, 58, 36, etc.

They're just odd blasters. My range dropped around 10 more feet and then proceeded to punch out the back of the PT.

So, not to fret. It's a dumb gun and it's typical, don't worry.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users