Pullback Shotty Cont.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

This is my cosmetic addition to A Side of Nerf's write-up on the Pullback Shotty. I was trying to make it look and feel like a crossbow (that's why it's purple)l. I'll go over a few things I did internally, but most of it is the same as other write-ups, so I won't go into detail on it. Anyways, here is the write-up...

Stock PAS
Posted Image

Cut this orange piece
Posted Image

Add a piece of CPVC in the brown funnel piece for better air flow. I also tied a wire around the end of this to prevent darts from being sucked into the plunger tube.
Posted Image

Add a 1/2" CPVC coupler
Posted Image

There is empty area here that is bad for air flow, so fill it with hot glue (no after picture, sorry)
Posted Image

Add gasket for sound reduction and padding
Posted Image

Now attach a piece of CPVC to the end of the plunger rod (details in ASOF's write-up). Also, add a CPVC tee coupler (not pictured). I replaced the spring with a cut down [k26] spring.
Posted Image

Sand away a hole in the back of the body for the CPVC (new priming handle) to fit into - You want this to be a tight fit, you don't want the CPVC to be able to wiggle too much.
Posted Image

Cut down the stock for the CPVC to fit
Posted Image

Cut some 1.5" PVC in the shape of a grip. I cut an angle on mine to make it look better
Posted Image

Cut down this plastic part of the shell - This is so the stock is a bit more stable.
Posted Image

Cut some 3/4" PVC for a stock - Extra stems are to go into the gap of the piece we just cut down for more stability.
Posted Image

Attach these parts to your PAS with hot glue

Now to get into your PAS, you will need to cut the PVC down the middle. You can also just attach the PVC to one side of the shell, but I think this is more stable and the cuts aren't that visible with the final paint job.
Posted Image

Now to add the grip: Cut down a Longshot front gun's handle so it can fit more securely on the PAS
Posted Image

You will also need to cut down the PAS shell. (you can just glue it on w/o cutting, but I feel it's more stable with the cuts)
Posted Image

Please do not post yet. This write-up is not finished (picture limit)

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#2 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

I also used JB weld on the inside to hold the grip into place. I felt like it would add a weird feel to the outside, so I didn't apply it externally.
Posted Image

Now your PAS should look like this
Posted Image

I also added FBR for vibration reduction and to help fill the gap that is now in the stock. A Side of Nerf used a metal bar, but I felt this was easier (but not as clean).
Posted Image

I thought it wasn't quite smooth enough, so I used some all purpose Bondo to try and fix that. (I didn't do a very good job, but it was my first time using Bondo - and it's better looking than before)
Posted Image

Final internal picture. I am using a new trigger spring to help with the [k26] (+bow) spring I replaced the stock spring with. I haven't reinforced the trigger yet, so I don't want to try it with the [k26] + stock spring yet.
Posted Image

Finished. I used grape purple and dark gray spray paints by Rust-oleum. It is gloss paint, so it's a bit shiny, but I like how it turned out. - Oh, and I'm aware I missed with the color of the Crossbow. I think it should be a bit darker, but I like this too.
Posted Image

With an RSCB (unpainted)
Posted Image

Ranges are irrelevant, this is an external/cosmetic mod write-up, the ranges will vary on things I didn't cover here. But, I see no difference in range due to the added weight to the plunger rod.

Questions or comments?

Edited by Coop, 16 September 2009 - 03:51 PM.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#3 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Great work Coop, I love how you used the LSFG handle--outstanding. I have faced ASoN's PAS at 2 wars, and it's a beast. Now an improved version? Damn!----Rogue.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#4 Stouty

Stouty

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

That is amazing. I love the stock with the pvc, I am not a big fan of the paint job though. I think this may be the closest crossbow replication yet.
Current projects
BBBR
Magstike
Beserker

Yes I like Buzzbee guns

#5 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

That is amazing. I love the stock with the pvc, I am not a big fan of the paint job though. I think this may be the closest crossbow replication yet.

Thanks. I do think the purple should be a bit darker and maybe a flat rather than gloss.

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

This reminds me of the cross snap. Nice job coop.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#7 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Cool work. I like the epoxy usage, but do you enjoy that texture? I would have sanded it a bit more and epoxied in some vellum or something to make a smooth graft.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#8 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

This reminds me of the cross snap. Nice job coop.

That's where I got the idea of PVC for the stock and grip.

Cool work. I like the epoxy usage, but do you enjoy that texture? I would have sanded it a bit more and epoxied in some vellum or something to make a smooth graft.

It's bondo, not epoxy putty. That would be like $25 worth of epoxy putty, lol. I did try to make it smooth, but it was my first time working with bondo. I think I should have added another coat of bondo to smooth out the gaps. It's not as visible in person, the direct lighting really brings the worst out.

#9 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

Not bad, not great. I like it though. Smoother bondo-ing and a couple other cosmetic changes, and this thing would be very intimidating and sexy.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#10 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Pretty awesome, I hope to see it on the 3rd.

I was pretty sad when I saw you started with a new PAS, but it turned out well. I may have to do this if mine breaks.

What exactly is bondo? Just like a putty that's not for holding things together?

#11 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

Not bad, not great. I like it though. Smoother bondo-ing and a couple other cosmetic changes, and this thing would be very intimidating and sexy.

Um... thanks?

Pretty awesome, I hope to see it on the 3rd.

I was pretty sad when I saw you started with a new PAS, but it turned out well. I may have to do this if mine breaks.

What exactly is bondo? Just like a putty that's not for holding things together?

I should be using this at the Columbus war, I'm not sure yet though.

Yeah, I have 3 other PASs I just got on Cabellas when their price dropped (it seems they are sold out now), so I will be making a back up just like my old one - just in case this breaks or something, lol

Bondo is a gap filler. You mix two parts and it gradually gets harder and is now just like plastic (when cured). It's sort of like creamy peanut butter right after you mix it to apply, so it's fairly easy to spread (it's just difficult for me to get it REALLY smooth). It does adhere a little bit, but yeah, I wouldn't use it as a glue.

#12 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

Oh my god. I freaking love you Coop.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#13 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

Bondo is a gap filler. You mix two parts and it gradually gets harder and is now just like plastic (when cured). It's sort of like creamy peanut butter right after you mix it to apply, so it's fairly easy to spread (it's just difficult for me to get it REALLY smooth). It does adhere a little bit, but yeah, I wouldn't use it as a glue.

I would. And I would expect decent results.

As a kid in the 70's, we used to drive cars that were practically held together by the stuff. Over rough roads. Bondo works like an epoxy, although I think it's polyester rather than polyamide. But you mix a resin with a hardener and it cures over time - just like epoxy. The ratio of the parts is uneven, but that's really all about the non-reactive filler material. Epoxy putties have filler added to both components until the ratio is even, while Bondo has all the filler are added to the resin and none to the hardener. Not really all that different, in the uses we'd put them to.

Hm, well I also see bondo being similar to epoxy putty. I don't use epoxy putty as a "glue" though. I see glue as something that like sticks one thing to another, it seems epoxy putty and bondo will harden around and hold things together, but not actually "stick" to the object.

Wow. I don't even know what to say...

#14 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

I really like this. I like the grip more specificly.
Would it be more comfortable without the trigger guard, or is it fine as is?
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#15 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

I really like this. I like the grip more specificly.
Would it be more comfortable without the trigger guard, or is it fine as is?

Thanks.

The back of my hand actually gets stopped by the stock so my fingers can't even touch the trigger guard. So there wouldn't be a difference in comfort if I removed the trigger guard.

#16 pinz321

pinz321

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

[quote name='Salmon' post='250653' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:43 PM']
[/quote]Wow. I don't even know what to say...
[/quote]

Sounds familiar... Maybe it has to do something with my first time saying that to a girl; only difference is that coop ain't some chick...Right?
Effeminate quotes
uin13 a.k.a ice.-have you ever wondered why root-beer
has the word "beer" in it?

BritNerfMogul- Since when have McDonalds and Nerf been associated?

FURYfire, not Fluryfire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users