Updated with write-up/ secure mod.

40 replies to this topic

#1 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:15 AM

Okay!
Update, there is always a room for improvements. I had to start from a simple mod so i can have a visual on how to improve it. I used the ipod nano because its thin, compact, quality is decent and nice video filters. So here is a more secured and proper mod. I have also made some test and shot this mod 1 foot away and it kept its stance.

Item
Ipod nano 5G with video.

Materials
Polycarbonate
1 or 2 screws
Electrical tape

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I painted it after(optional)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now once you have inserted you ipod and its not a perfect fit, this is where the electrical tape comes in.
You can put electrical tape on the inside to make it more fit and firm it in place. i had put 7 layers on mine.
Posted Image

feel free to comment

Thanks

Edited by dim3, 15 September 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

Wow your video had great quality. That mod is sick for recording a battle, but when I'm nerfing I wouldn't want to risk breaking my I-pod.
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#3 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

Haha you got a new nano fast. That's really cool. I never thought of that. The nano is like one of the smallest video cameras there are, this is perfect!

#4 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:28 AM

Wow your video had great quality. That mod is sick for recording a battle, but when I'm nerfing I wouldn't want to risk breaking my I-pod.

Well, you can always improve the design and mount it more secured. But there will always be a risk.

#5 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:32 AM

Well mine doesn't have a video camera on it anyway so I guess I can't do this. I thought that I had the newest nano but apparently I was wrong. What kind do you have?
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#6 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:38 AM

Well mine doesn't have a video camera on it anyway so I guess I can't do this. I thought that I had the newest nano but apparently I was wrong. What kind do you have?

When did you buy yours? This is the latest ipod nano 5th gen. Announced and released 9/9/09

#7 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

You could always just make a removable or hinged polycarb case, and just leave a little hole for the camera to look through, of course the hole would be too small to have a dart fit through. But all in all really cool idea. Sadly I don't have an iPod Nano I just have the good ol' iPhone 3G. (I didn't feel it was necessary to upgrade to the 3GS, i am just gonna wait until 4G)

#8 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

You could always just make a removable or hinged polycarb case, and just leave a little hole for the camera to look through, of course the hole would be too small to have a dart fit through. But all in all really cool idea. Sadly I don't have an iPod Nano I just have the good ol' iPhone 3G. (I didn't feel it was necessary to upgrade to the 3GS, i am just gonna wait until 4G)

That's true, but i make simple mods so everyone can have a try. Adding those is too much work. But i am planing to improve this design. Wait about day or two.

Thanks

#9 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

I need to get a Nano just for this

#10 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

I want one.
meh.

#11 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

That's pretty sweet. Nothing I'd go and buy just for this, but if i ever fell onto one, this'll come to mind.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#12 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

I didn't know they made an improved 4th Gen Nano (Chromatic) that took video. Sweet!

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#13 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Well, you can always improve the design and mount it more secured. But there will always be a risk.

I would be more afraid of a dart hitting it rather than dropping it.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#14 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Dim3, I personally love all of your mods. Sure, it takes thought to make something more complicated, but it takes a lot more thought to make it simpler. Not requiring $5000 tools is always a plus as well.

My question is how did you get that targeting reticle screen? Is it included in the nano, or did you edit it in after?
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#15 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

Dim3, I personally love all of your mods. Sure, it takes thought to make something more complicated, but it takes a lot more thought to make it simpler. Not requiring $5000 tools is always a plus as well.

My question is how did you get that targeting reticle screen? Is it included in the nano, or did you edit it in after?

It is included in the nano as some of the video recording features. Along with some other well know features that come from photo booth.

#16 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Words cannot describe just how stupid this is. Not only is it a dumb idea, but you actually did a write up that consists of "put a nano on your gun with some wire". Also, you didn't even fucking write it up. All your instructions are on youtube. So even if someone wanted to follow it they would keep having to press play and pause rather then just printing it out and taking it to their workshop. What a waste of fucking bandwidth.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#17 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Words cannot describe just how stupid this is. Not only is it a dumb idea, but you actually did a write up that consists of "put a nano on your gun with some wire". Also, you didn't even fucking write it up. All your instructions are on youtube. So even if someone wanted to follow it they would keep having to press play and pause rather then just printing it out and taking it to their workshop. What a waste of fucking bandwidth.

Pretty harsh, given the amazing jump in nut-shot compellation video technology we have just witnessed.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#18 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

I would have to disagree with Talio overall. Yes, I do agree that, as it is, this is a pretty stupid idea. Running around with an expensive mp3 player attached insecurely to a nerf gun is not a good idea. Attaching it in a secure, protected way is a good idea though.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#19 OrangeBilledTurtle

OrangeBilledTurtle

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

I would have to disagree with Talio overall. Yes, I do agree that, as it is, this is a pretty stupid idea. Running around with an expensive mp3 player attached insecurely to a nerf gun is not a good idea. Attaching it in a secure, protected way is a good idea though.

I conquer.

#20 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

I conquer.

And what exactly do you conquer?

If you want to do this "mod", atleast put some protection on it. I've been know to wipe out while running, and putting an iPod on a gun is the LAST thing you want to do.

#21 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

EDIT: I misinterpreted Merzlin's post.

Edited by slowguitarman, 13 September 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#22 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

These iPods are pretty tough, guys. The screen is the most delicate piece, and it's glass. I'd be more worried about the blaster, rather than the iPod if I wiped out.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#23 dim3

dim3

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have updated the mod. The first simple wire mod was the base of ideas. There's always room for improvements and i know that the first one looks unstable but it wasn't. Anyways, hope this helps.

Thanks

#24 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

Really now, guys. What's the point? why does everyone cream their pants over some electronics attached to a piece of plastic?

It may be nifty, but it really has no practical purposes than, let's say, a dude with a camcorder next to you. Or your mp3 player/walkman in your pocket.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#25 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

Really, Talio? Really?

The updated writeup is VERY cool, dim.
Not to mention quite useful for recording wars, 3.2 megapixels really isn't that bad for such a small device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users