kthx

7 replies to this topic

#1 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

This write-up is for all of you who cried, puked, and attempted suicide over the discovery of a leak in your SS2 tank.

In the write-up, I will be swapping the problematic system that comes with a stock SS2 for a hybrid back-pressure system made from a Big Salvo tank, a hornet blast button, and a AT3k Pump. This mod works using a basic backpressure system which consists of 3 basic components, making it easy to integrate anywhere in the gun.

Materials:
+ SS2 shell
+ SS2 trigger
+ SS2 pump handle
+ Hornet blast valve
+ 1/8 inch ID vinyl tubing
+ 1/8 inch ID Barbed T fitting
+ JB Weld
+ Hot Glue

The goal of this mod was to keep the gun looking as stock as possible so certain parts like the stock trigger must be kept.

The Shell

Posted Image
The Shell requires a lot of body work to fit a Big Salvo tank. The best advice, get your Dremel and go to work. Sand out enough room to fit the tank and the 3K Pump. Then drill holes for the tubing to protrude. As seen in the bottom right corner, the tubing for the system will all stick out here.

The System
The Tank
Posted Image
Wedge a 5 inch piece of 1/8" ID tubing over the back stem on a Big Salvo tank. Glue the tank to the back panel the stock tank used to rest on, and feed the tubing through the adjacent hole.

Posted Image
Make sure the trigger apparatus is in place before you glue the tank though.

The Trigger
Posted Image
JB Weld a 5 inch piece of 1/8" ID tubing into the hole of the blast valve.

Posted Image
The Blast Valve's tubing is then fed through the middle hole and glued in place at an angle so the Stock trigger's end is directly under the button, enabling it to be pushed with the pull of the trigger.

Posted Image
When the trigger is pulled, the button is pressed, engaging the tank to fire.

The Pump
Posted Image
If you like the SS2's pump handle, cut off the 3k's pump head and the SS2's pump head and glue the 3k's pump head to the SS2 pump handle.

Posted Image
Dremel the handle to fit the new pump and feed the 5 inch long segment of 1/8" ID tubing through the hole.

The Barrel
(Some people would like larger barrels but mine is going to be cut to 2")

Posted Image
Cut the end segment off of the stock barrel.

Posted Image
Cut the desired length of PETG (or whatever barrel material you use) and wrap it in E-tape to fit in the black part of the tank and to fit in the Red piece.

Posted Image
Glue the barrel in place.

Bringing it all Together
Posted Image
Cut the external tubing to the smallest possible length that will still allow them to connect and join them with the 1/8" Tee Barbed fitting.

Posted Image
The internals should look like this.

Posted Image
Screw the gun together and try her out. I get 90 feet at 2 pumps and I can barely squeeze a 3rd pump in.

Thanks,
-A side of nerf

Edited by A side of nerf, 11 September 2009 - 07:28 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#2 MysteryMan

MysteryMan

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Such awesome power from that thing. I'm gonna try to get my hands on one of those and definately try this out.

Very clean i love it, awesome job!

Edited by MysteryMan, 11 September 2009 - 09:24 PM.

If your not bleeding your not modding right

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

Can the secret barrel still be used?

#4 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:45 PM

Wow man, you just got this thing at CFNF a week ago! Great work, its really cool to see classic blasters upgraded with some more powerfull internals--at least it is to me. I hope this baby makes it to RFC in December.--Rogue
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#5 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

Right now I am working on the system to restore the utilization of the "secret" barrel that flips down. The current tank takes the place where the original barrel flip mechanism was so my new system will work differently then the old but will still give the same effect.

#6 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

Why such a short barrel?
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#7 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

So the secret barrel on the top can flip down when I get that working.

#8 flamincows

flamincows

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

It could just be because of the salvo tank, but my SS2 doesn't shoot accurately at all with such a short barrel. Do the darts actually fly in a straight, ninety-foot line?

Either way that's a great way to revive a classic blaster. I may have to try the 3k pump on mine; ~10 pumps is a little too slow for my liking.

Edited by flamincows, 12 September 2009 - 12:30 PM.

Sex Dwarves: Drug test? What kinds of drugs are we testing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users