Photo

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Review!

Reflex Sight with Functional Red Dot Reticle!

30 replies to this topic

#1 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

Credit goes to Jeff2009 over at the Malaysia Nerf Forum for first discovering this new Nerf product over in Malaysia (He doesn't have a validated NerfHaven account yet so i'm helping him announce it to the NIC, i managed to take a drive across the border today and returned back to Singapore with a few sets to do a full review). ;)

--

Check out the new Nerf N-Strike Mission Kit - Pinpoint Sight!

Yes, this is a reflex sight... and the best part is, unlike the non-functional longshot scope or tactical scope, the Pinpoint Sight actually has a functional red dot reticle!

The Pinpoint Sight is powered by 2 x AAA batteries and comes packaged with 10 x Micro foam darts.

Reflex sights are typically non-magnified optical sights that reflect a reticle image onto a combining glass for superimposition on the target. They are commonly used to aid in quick close quarter target acquisition and due to the long eye relief distance design, can be aimed at arm's length with both eyes open.

The Nerf Pinpoint Sight now offers similiar quick aiming capability in a N-Strike Mission Kit!

Of course, compared to real reflex sights, the Nerf Pinpoint Sight doesn't have any of the fancy lenses, fibre optics, tritium capsules or fine tuned calibrations and adjustments etc, but it does provide an interesting way to mount an alternative aiming point for Nerf blasters... and anyways, it just looks cool!

Review:

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Box (Front)

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Box (Back)

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Clockwise: Front, Right, Back and Left

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Powered by 2 x AAA Batteries

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Red Dot Reticle Aiming Point

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Mounted on a Nerf Raider CS-35

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Mounted on a Nerf Recon CS-6

Posted Image

Nerf Pinpoint Sight - Mounted on a Nerf Maverick REV-6

Posted Image

Keep a lookout for the Nerf N-Strike Mission Kit - Pinpoint Sight, hopefully reaching your nearby stores soon!

Cheers! ;)

Edited by SgNerf, 06 September 2009 - 04:27 PM.

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

Wow. Cool. How effective do you think it is? ;)

Also, can you see the red dot in daylight if you are using the sight outside?

Edited by cheesypiza001, 05 September 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

This is something that could actually be useful. Is there any space to place a better laser into it?
meh.

#4 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

I may just end up buying this for aesthetics, even if it doesn't work due to the laws of Nerf.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#5 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yeah... Nerf blasters are not accurate instruments to start with anyways, so this Pinpoint Sight just provides a step-up from the "iron sights". I guess its just more of a close quarter aiming point.

In low light conditions and indoors, the red dot is very clear. I've done a quick test outside under afternoon sunlight and the red dot is still visible, just abit dimmer.

Anyways, i just never expected something at this price offering this feature! Its actually quite a cool gadget to impress colleagues and friends!

;)

Edited by SgNerf, 05 September 2009 - 01:18 PM.

#6 nerfnrg

nerfnrg

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

I think it would be a little more effective if the sight was where the batteries were and vice versa. Either way, it looks pretty cool and would be fun to impress my friends with it and scare them with a red dot. ;)

~Nrg
Snake51886~ "Beware everyone...t2 has openly admitted to fucking 14 year olds...."
VindictivePancake~ "i've seen hot 10 year olds" - T2heavy
t2hevey~ "yupp"

(\ /)
(='.'=) <--Me
(")_(")

#7 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

I like the laser sight gimmick. So the laser goes through the scope?
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#8 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

No, no, the laser doesn't go through the scope. It isn't really even a laser, just a more concentrated than normal LED. The lens is special in that it reflects light but is still see-through. So you can see through it and the red dot is reflected on it. In my experience these kinds of sights are pretty useless because they reflect too much, in that on my airsoft one, I can actually see the black box that emits the light. Very distracting.

#9 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

Even if this does end up useless, it still is very cool. I want one.

#10 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

That's actually really neat.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#11 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

I wish everybody would quit complaining how useless this is. This is really frickin' cool in my opinion, pointless or not, and it looks good to boot.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#12 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

It looks kick @ss. I want one.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#13 Gimmick

Gimmick

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Is the laser on this any better than the one on the NF or Recon? I really hope it is. As cool as it may look, I'd be very much inclined to put the money towards another blaster instead if this thing is COMPLETELY useless.

If it's slightly useful, then we'll see. :)

#14 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Is the laser on this any better than the one on the NF or Recon? I really hope it is. As cool as it may look, I'd be very much inclined to put the money towards another blaster instead if this thing is COMPLETELY useless.

If it's slightly useful, then we'll see. :)

This is not the same kind of "laser" as the NiteFinder or the Recon have.

Reflex sights are optical or computing sights that reflect a reticle image (or images) onto a combining glass for superimposition on the target. Reflex sights should not be confused with laser sights, which actually project a point of light directly onto a target. - Wikipedia

#15 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Is the laser on this any better than the one on the NF or Recon?

Well, i can't say better... just different.

A Nite Finder or Recon Red Dot Targeter projects a visible red dot onto the target, so both you and the target can see the red dot.

In the Pinpoint Sight, the red dot is projected onto the clear reticle instead, so only you can see that red dot, your target cannot see it (unless that person is looking straight back directly into the reticle).

As Just Some Bob mentioned, the device is just a simple LED projecting a red dot on an angled plastic reticle, a very simple but surprisingly smart simulation of a reflex sight system (still way more functional than the longshot scope or tactical scope which are just empty plastic tubes!).

Whether it actually helps in accuracy at all is largely up to debate. :)

Anyways, i guess most nerfers would just get it for looks and the cool factor!

Edited by SgNerf, 06 September 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#16 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Nifty! It can't be calibrated at all (like the integrated "laser" on the NiteFinder, can it? That might enhance what usefulness it has if so, but I can't see any kind of lever or anything on the outside. Failing this, what if you were to figure out, one way or t'other, where you should have the red dot for certain ranges and label the tick marks (e.g. the target is at 14 meters so sight the red-dot should be at the second tick-mark above center). Like a ladder sight. One could even try to calibrate the x-axis tick-marks to adjust for wind. It'll be interesting to see what people can do with this, and I may have to pick one up myself. Nice find.

-----------------------
Pseudo-psig:

[I make a perfect foot shot]
Opponent #1: "Did he miss you?"
Teammate #1 "No, that was a good, clean hit. Too bad he's on my team."

#17 Kamille01

Kamille01

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

I'm guessing Hasbro based the design on the Lazer Tag dot sight. Those things were so bright that it could get hard to see through them.

#18 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

How much space is in that? I'm looking that the "rogue scope" aspect of it.

#19 Rabbit

Rabbit

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

That looks like something I'd be able to use. My Nerfing group is usually inside either houses or our church, using stock or lightly modified blasters, so this kind of thing could come in handy. If nothing else, it definitely is a step up from the 'iron sight' of the Firefly. Thanks for posting it up!

#20 Zachfrog

Zachfrog

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

It's nerf, so it's going to be useless. I'm still going to get it because of it's badassness.
QUOTE(Lion @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 11 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

They didn't have monitors in 1920.

They did, They just called them Windows back then though.

#21 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

How much space is in that? I'm looking that the "rogue scope" aspect of it.

not much
*img snip*
one inch grid

So is that just an LED or is it really a laser pointer?
Gimme back my bullets....

#22 Stouty

Stouty

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

Very cool find. I was thinking about this on a magstrike. Similar to the P-90 for the people who like to replicate real firearms. This looks like it would take extensive calibration to make it accurate.
Current projects
BBBR
Magstike
Beserker

Yes I like Buzzbee guns

#23 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

I'm not sure how well the sight would work on a Magstrike, seeing as the clip will block the sight after something like three or four shots.

#24 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

This just makes me tired of the shit nerfs been doing for a while.
Remember when there were future space blaster shit, and guns based on fucking animals?

Come back to where you belong nerf. This isn't mil-sim.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#25 Nerferguy

Nerferguy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

I just got a raider and now this would be pretty cool too. although i question its efectiveness without the batteries :P still looks really cool.
....anyone up for a Nerf Stock Underbarrell GL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users