Photo

Dart Diameter Vs. Barrel Inner Diameter

12 replies to this topic

#1 ArsenicAnarchy

ArsenicAnarchy

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Ok. So I went to Lowes today ( prep for FANO ) and got 9 feet of 1/2 inch I.D. PVC pipe, hot gule, Amazing goop and 1/2 inch FBR. I was going off of instict and logic while buying. I went home, cut up 100 sections of the foam, fucked it up and started anew. I made about twenty or so stephans before I went down stairs to test the fit. For some strange reason it's several milimeters off. I figured that 1/2" FBR would fit snuggly inside 1/2" I.D. pvc pipe. I need to know the correct size pipe (PVC/CPVC, possibly brass) for the 1/2" FBR. Can you please help me out? I've never done a barrel replacement or made my own darts.
I did your MOM

#2 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

For your foam, 1/2 CPVC (the yellowish thin stuff, next the the pvc) is the best option.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#3 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

1/2 inch PVC has an ID of 5/8ths. Home depot foam usually has a good fit in half inch CPVC or 17/32 brass. If you want to use PVC, get the 5/8 foam and make mega stefans.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#4 ArsenicAnarchy

ArsenicAnarchy

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks. Im not too upset since the whole 3 yards was only $1.29. I'll have to go out again though. I just talked to my mom. We're going back this weekend.

Edited by ArsenicAnarchy, 04 September 2009 - 09:26 PM.

I did your MOM

#5 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

For your foam, 1/2 CPVC (the yellowish thin stuff, next the the pvc) is the best option.

I wouldn't necessarily say that right off the bat. 1/2'' FBR can vary in diameter by a lot from brand to brand. Unless Lowe's carries a specific brand, I wouldn't recommend what barrel material he needs until he tells you at least what brand it is. Another thing that you need to consider is if it's an air gun he is using or a spring gun. Spring guns need a tighter fit, while air guns need to be looser.

ArsenicAnarchy, we need you to tell us more about your setup before we can even begin to recommend barrel materials.

#6 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that right off the bat. 1/2'' FBR can vary in diameter by a lot from brand to brand. Unless Lowe's carries a specific brand, I wouldn't recommend what barrel material he needs until he tells you at least what brand it is. Another thing that you need to consider is if it's an air gun he is using or a spring gun. Spring guns need a tighter fit, while air guns need to be looser.

ArsenicAnarchy, we need you to tell us more about your setup before we can even begin to recommend barrel materials.

He said he got the foam at HD. HD sells frost king. Frost King fits CPVC tight and 17/32 loose in my experience.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#7 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, if you're using regular PVC, it's best to use some 5/8s and make megas. They work well, even with the stupid Lowes crap. Get some 1/2" CPVC from HD or something and some 1/2" FBR will work fine, usually.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#8 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

If you're like me and have just access to HD foam, CPVC is your best option.

I lose maybe 10 feet in airguns because of how tight it is. In springers, it's absolutly godly.

Maybe a hair looser than CPVC type PVC would be nice, but I haven't found anything besides CPVC and PVC in my area.

Anyways, go with CPVC, it's dirt cheap. I bought around 12 feet of the stuff for like 6 bucks. That's 50 cents per foot.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#9 ArsenicAnarchy

ArsenicAnarchy

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Ok. I got the foam at Lowes. It's prepackaged stuff. It says MD specialty backer rod. The blaster is a longshot. Also my parents will only go to Lowes. We get a 10% military discount. ;)

Edited by ArsenicAnarchy, 04 September 2009 - 11:44 PM.

I did your MOM

#10 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

If I remember correctly, MD foam is very similar in diameter to Frost King. I've got both, and I honestly can't tell them apart, either by color or by barrel fit. For me, it's really loose (falls out if pointed downward) in 9/16ths brass, tight in cpvc, and really tight in 17/32s brass, so I would also suggest cpvc.

#11 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

CPVC is better for micro darts unless you're using stock darts with heads (suckers, taggers, and sonics). PVC does work well for other things though. It's loose fit makes it great for RSCBs and inline clips where you need the dart to be able to slide around. It's also pretty sturdy and makes for good stocks.

Another use is that if you sand down your CPVC or bore out your PVC a bit you can get the CPVC to slide through the PVC opening up the possibility of making breeches.

#12 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

I've purchased Frost King from Lowes that has been a good fit in CPVC, a good fit in PETG and ridiculously tight in CPVC, and stuff that is loose in CPVC. All of it was labeled 1/2" diameter, but from different batches. I wouldn't assume anything based on previous experience with the foam.

#13 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

I use the purple bag of foam at Lowe's. This foam has a very tight fit in CPVC. I would not suggest using it.

industrial designer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users