How Do Semi-auto Air Blasters Work?

Hornet, Big Salvo, SMDTG's

5 replies to this topic

#1 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

I've pulled apart a Hornet and the thing makes no sense. The blast chambers don't have a mechanism to release the air, the blast buttons seem to actually release pressure, and I don't have any idea what the hell the piston thing does. I believe the Big Salvo and Spider-Man Dart Tag Guns use similar principles.

If any mechanically-minded Nerfer has determined how the blast chambers, piston thingy, and blast button function, please enlighten us!
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#2 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hornet tanks and some others actually fire when the pressure in the tubes behind them is released, which is what the piston and blast button do. The piston like device functions like a blast button. As you pull the trigger, the head of the piston moves back, which causes one tank to release pressure to the atmosphere like a blast button would, which fires the tank. The blast buttons are connected to all the tanks, so when they are pressed all the tanks fire
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#3 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

http://www.spudfiles...ally-t8157.html

...Just a lot smaller.

There's an animated version of it somewhere which I can't find right now. Someone else will probably find it.

All the tanks that I've seen work like coax.swf where the piston seals against the outlet to the barrel, and air enters the chamber from around the piston, and the chamber goes "around" the outlet to the barrel.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#4 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

I found this image on a spud gun site, its not the best, but its something.
Posted Image
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#5 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thats a perfect example.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#6 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

http://www.spudfiles...ally-t8157.html

...Just a lot smaller.

There's an animated version of it somewhere which I can't find right now. Someone else will probably find it.

The animated version is at the bottom of the page; just scroll down and you'll see it. Also I was gonna ask about this in my own thread, but I feel its appropriate here. I have a bunch of hornet tanks. If I were to do a tank extension to them would it screw up the way it fires?

Edited by Bedhed117, 02 September 2009 - 08:21 PM.

QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users