Photo

Ls Help!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sureshot 11

Sureshot 11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm new to modding so can someone please help me. I got a longshot, opened it up and was afraid if z tried to pull out the boltsled the entire gun would fall apart. Is this normal or is my gun just tough. Please reply! :(

CCS-Sureshot-11

#2 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

Err...Isn't that the main objective? To pull apart the gun so you can modify it? ...You need to pull parts out of the gun in order to alter, or modify them. Just take a picture of the gun's internals so if you get confused, you can reference back to the photo.

EDIT: Credit to Captain Slug for the photo -

Posted Image

Edited by Mehku, 07 September 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#3 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

If you pull the bolt out of the chamber you should be able to get it out easily. You could just put the ls parts back if you have trouble with them coming out. Use the internals directory.

Edited by ChaosRaisin, 08 September 2009 - 09:12 PM.

Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#4 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Or you could simply use the resources that are already posted on modding the LS. You know the thread that is pinned atop this here modding forum.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#5 Zachfrog

Zachfrog

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

I'm new to modding

There's your problem. Longshots aren't good to start modding with. I found that out the hard way. My magazine doesn't work anymore, but I have decent range. Definitely wouldn't take it to a war.

Edited by Zachfrog, 07 September 2009 - 10:56 PM.

QUOTE(Lion @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 11 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

They didn't have monitors in 1920.

They did, They just called them Windows back then though.

#6 Sureshot 11

Sureshot 11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

I'm new to modding

There's your problem. Longshots aren't good to start modding with. I found that out the hard way...

nice..
So how am I gonna stop a big mean mother huber from tearin' me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer, use a gun...and if that don't work, use more guns
-Team Fortress 2

#7 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Longshots are great to mod if you're going for looks.

They're decent to mod if you're going for range.

They're fun to mod if you're going for ammo capacity (easiest mod? Put a Raider drum in it.)

But they're a bitch and a half if you want to get range and still keep the clip (or drum.)

For example, the bolt sled's inherent design weakness is a natural limit on how powerful a spring you can put in the thing. And the magazine length coupled with bolt throw distance means you have maybe half an inch of mating distance between your chamber and barrel. The stock barrel does more to harm range than it helps accuracy. And if you want to Angel the bolt, you'll have to mod the magazines to use stefans.

It's fun to mod, don't get me wrong. There's lots of space all around it for integrations. It can be made to look very nice, especially if you're into CosPlay or LARPing. But for a n00b, it's going to be either an exploration into frustration, or a broken $30 toy, or both.

===

Here are my suggestions, all of which are detailed in the many other threads on this topic. I'm just sharing my own experience as a n00b modder who started with an Longshot.

- Start with the usual AR removal.

- Follow up with the usual spring addition: I've had very good luck with Home Depot # 684838, a 2-pack of 24.8 lb 7/8" dia. x 4" length x .08" wire thickness springs (with a pair of 44.7 lb(!) 11/16" x 1-1/4" x 0.91" monster-strength mini springs - has anyone found any good use for them?)

- Next, bolt head improvements - adding or replacing the O-ring, adding some Teflon tape, or (if you're truly desperate) wrapping the head with e-tape.

- While you have the bolt separated from the bolt sled, lose the magazine eject lock. With it in place, you can only eject the magazine with the bolt back.

- While you have the bolt sled out, file down the edge of the bolt lock so it provides resistance to the bolt, but doesn't absolutely stop it from being pulled back if you put enough elbow force into it. If you leave the bolt lock off, you will have to keep the bolt forward with your thumb on the cocking knob, otherwise it will be pushed back by the dart tooth.

- Leave the dart tooth in unless you're going to Angel the bolt. If you omit it, you'll get 3 feet of range.

- If you're going for looks, separate the barrel from the LSFG (LS Front Gun) and ream out the barrel collar (labeled 'muzzle' in the picture above) until you can shove the LSFG's barrel through it. Be warned this will decrease your range, so only do this if you're going for looks.

- If you're going for performance, you may want to consider chopping the whole fore-end of the LS off, a.k.a., the Longshot Carbine. You'll be surprised how much range you'll get out of it.
Fugly is a feature.

#8 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I currently own 5 LS's, and contrary to the popular opinion--they CAN be great instruments of nerfy destruction. My advise is: If you don't feel comfortable with taking it apart and putting it back together, practice on a less complex blaster for a while. The LS has a lot of parts--that if not properly re-assembled will cause extreme frustration. When modded right, they can cause a good deal of trouble for your opponent, when modded half-assed, or in a hurry they will brake almost immedietly. Take a good, long gander at the thread stickied here that is solely devoted to building a successfull LS. If you take your time, and study the gun thoroughly first, the success of your venture is more likely. Lastly I will say this: A modded LS is like a Ferarri--when it works its a beautifull thing, hard to go up against---but when it brakes, you just want to scream, and your out some money! Remember I said that-----Rogue.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users