Sm3k Mod

an underestimated primary

8 replies to this topic

#1 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

I have long used a sm3k this summer nerf season. For me it has been a good reliable primary. But for some reason almost no one uses them. And ask anyone that has seen one in action-its surprisingly good. Capable of good range-the sm3k with 8 quick shots-is a major contender in the battle field. But enough of my bragging-on with the write-up.

Tools needed:
• Screwdriver (Phillips and flathead)
• Dremel and a fair amount of bits
• Something to cut pvc
• Neddle node pliars
• Diagonal cutters
• A fully functioning brain (recommended)
Materials needed:
• Petg (4 ft.)
• ½” pvc (16 in.)
• E-tape-lots of e-tape

First is first-here is your blaster:
Posted Image

After doing this to two turrets-this step will help a lot-drill a small hole in the center of the turret. Widen it to allow access to the screw.
Posted Image
This is what it will look like after you take this part off.
Posted Image

Take off the pump handle and then unscrew the rest of the gun. The internals.
Posted Image

Take note of the tank setup-it will help you later on. You may want to pump it to see how the whole thing works.
Posted Image

Now take off the one screw holding the tank setup in place. And focus your attention to the back.
Posted Image

Gently hold the white piece as you unscrew it. Once you have it undone-lift it up slowly-you don’t want to lose the spring. Place it in a safe place with the rest of the parts that come along with it. Until you get to this.
Posted Image

Now gently turn it over so that the turret if facing up and slowly take the turret off slowly for the same reasons as above.
Posted Image

Now take the parts and put them in the same safe place.
Time to start working on the turret. First-use your diagonal cutters and cut the prongs in the front of the turret. Now unscrew the back of the turret.
Posted Image

If you are lucky you will be able to take the blue turret casing off. If you are like me- it’s time to take the original barrels off. To do this you just need to pull them away from the rest of the turret. Sometimes the ar will stay glued in.
Posted Image

The best way I have found to fix this is to take a drill bit and extend the hole to the ar peg. Then you need to take a flathead screw driver and pry it out.
Time to re-barrel this thing. Grab your 4 ft. of PETG and cut it into 8-6 in. sections. Now add a lot of e-tape to the bottom of the sections to the point where it fits right into the stubs of the turret.
Posted Image

I had trouble with getting them to be perfectly straight. So I added some more e-tape about an inch from the bottom.
Posted Image

Now put the barrels into the turret (glue them if you want). And put your PVC onto the barrels.
Posted Image

Wrap some e-tape on the turret and be glad the hardest part is done.

Now-you need to improve the seal to the tank. To do this take a small oring-or as I did here cut up neoprene washer-and glue it to original seal.
Posted Image

NOTE: by doing this you will need to manually advance the turret. But the seal is worth it.

Make sure you reinforce the pump handle. To do this you need to drill through the original peg and replace it with a bolt. I used a 8-32 bolt.
Posted Image

Edited by balisticjoe, 28 August 2009 - 10:45 PM.

There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#2 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

One final step. You might not need to do this but get rid of this black piece.
Posted Image

You might not need to-I didn’t need to on my first one-but the second one I did.

There you go-a good primary worthy blaster with 8 shots.

FAQ’s:
1. Why didn’t you plug the pump?
You don’t need to-its plenty powerful and you don’t want to run the risk of the tank exploding.

2. Can you make it rear loading?
Yes and no-You could do it but it would require a lot of very delicate modding-it just dosnt seem worth it.

3. It seems to unwieldy-is it hard to use?
Not really-it is a little big-but you get used to it.

4. Is it worth it?
Hell yea

5. Where else can I go with this?
Anywhere, right now I am planning on putting speakers in mine and planning a nice pj.

Questions, Comments, Flames, edits, praise?

#3 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:16 AM

I've always hated the bulbous blue version. What ranges are you getting?

Also: Props for successfully using my orange turret removal technique, rear loading would only require widening the turret locking mechanism to accommodate the wider barrelsand cutting two holes in the shell on the older versions. What more obstacles are there on the new version?
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#4 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:51 AM

I've always hated the bulbous blue version. What ranges are you getting?

Also: Props for successfully using my orange turret removal technique, rear loading would only require widening the turret locking mechanism to accommodate the wider barrelsand cutting two holes in the shell on the older versions. What more obstacles are there on the new version?

80-90+ depending on the dart. The main problem with that would be cutting the shell-there is no real place to do so. But the problem I see in it is having a good seal to the turret-seems like it would be too complicated to work well, but with 8 shots-you should be able to find a minute to load. If people ramrod 1500's-with twice as many shots to get cover, you should be good to go. I personally find it fine.

Another thing I want to add. DO NOT plug the pump. You dont need to-its plenty powerful and will break if you do. its never a good idea to plug the pumps in supermaxx guns. Its disaster waiting to happen.

#5 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

Thats sweet.

Very nice writeup, and 8 shots at 80ft. is gonna be hard to beat.

How many pumps does it take for the OPRV to kick in?

Can you get a pick of the finished gun?

-200th post!
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#6 cannotaim

cannotaim

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

Whats with the pic of the soccer guys?

Nice mod anyways.
Blasphemy, what did I warn you about shoving things up your ass? First it was erasers, dice, and gerbils...now my wristbands? What's next, apples and grapefruit?-Groove

Nerflovers

#7 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

Thats sweet.

Very nice writeup, and 8 shots at 80ft. is gonna be hard to beat.

How many pumps does it take for the OPRV to kick in?

Can you get a pick of the finished gun?

-200th post!

Thanks. It actually takes less than two to make the OVPR to go. It is almost a fast as a springer.

Whats with the pic of the soccer guys?

Nice mod anyways.

I have no clue why that is in my image shack. I have nothing to do with soccer. Thanks though.

#8 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Sorry for the second post/necro. I made a guide to help with anyone who wants to paint one.
Posted Image

For example-here is how I plan to paint mine.
Posted Image

#9 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

B-joe, that template is great. I have often hoped there was an archive of templates like this for painting.

How did you do it? Tried PM'in but box is full...
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users