Photo

Blaster Measurement Topic

For everyone in need of knowing scaled measurements...

10 replies to this topic

#1 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ok. I just saw BritNerfMogul's topic about how he needed Crossbow/PAS measurements, and in the past, I have yearned to know exact dimensions of a gun before I bought them, but never could. Hours upon hours and trying to accurately scale pictures from my screen was all in vain. I never did find any of those gun comparisons that I needed.

If you see any pictures of any guns in very crappy quality, respectably (is that a word?) post and put a new one in the same format.

So, a topic for those of us looking for these. If you have any guns, in stock, or near stock/non-interfering modifications (like, don't post a minimized Nitefinder, as that's fucking pointless.) PLEASE, take a picture on a tile floor or any other area of direct comparison WHILE ALL PUMPS OR COCKING MECHS ARE EXTENDED and post in the following format:

*POSTABLE picture link in code box*

*Scale amount (e.g, 1 tile = 3 inches, etc.)*
*FULL gun name*
*Name you want credit given to*

Thanks.

I'll start off with a few of my guns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

1 tile = 4.5 inches
Nerf Hornet
By: ilzot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

1 tile = 4.5 inches
Nerf Rapid Fire 20

Posted Image

1 tile = 4.5 inches
Nerf Tech Target (Mega Style)

Posted Image

1 tile = 4.5 inches

Nerf Wildfire

QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#2 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

It's an interesting thought, but I think angle distortion will be a slight problem. Also, if this becomes a big thing, try organizing them so people can easily access the gun they're looking for. That's just my two-cent's worth. Good idea though!
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#3 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

1. My pictures are low quality and angles can be wierd. Most of my guns shown are fairly common, so I expect them them to be retaken by someone with an actual camera.

2. Once/if it gets big, I'll be making something like the Modification Directory.

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#4 rbtying

rbtying

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

I think we should have a piece of paper or silhouette of a stock Nitefinder in the pictures, since just about everyone knows how big an NF is and can easily scale the picture without breaking their brains doing the math.

#5 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

It's a good idea, but i think that it may need a bit of refining. The nitefinder idea is a start but that is just not good enough. Maybe something along the lines of laying out a ruler to show the length and height of the blasters. So that there is less complications. For instance: Your tiles were 4.5 inches long. Say if the gun covered 3.75 squares, than there would be some more estimating and less exact measurements and a little to much "fudging" of the actual length/height of the gun. Perhaps exact measurements or just stated measurements would work better. Instead of using the visual look-and-figure-it-out method. There can be a "uniform" way to measure the blasters and report them in a clear and concise way.

-Loni
"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#6 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, starting to agree.

Around my house, I don't have any real accurate rulers. Most are so scratched you can't read the numbers even. So if someone has some way of measuring the guns all around in all spots, pleas post how.

#7 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Just Some Bob takes all his pictures on an xacto cutting board that has a 1in grid on it. they are inexpensive and available everywhere. There is no need to invent the wheel here, its just common sense.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#8 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Why not just measure and post the measurements, instead of posting an inaccurate, undependable scale?

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#9 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

I think most of us have had the experience of seeing something in person for the first time, perhaps after seeing many photographs, yet still being surprised by its actual size.

That's what she said.

I'm sorry, I just had to.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#10 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

I think most of us have had the experience of seeing something in person for the first time, perhaps after seeing many photographs, yet still being surprised by its actual size.

That's what she said.
I'm sorry, I just had to.

A tip of the hat to you sir.

I think a basic comparison like having a NF in the same picture will do.

But there'll be those pedantic people who'll want exact lengths.Those pains in the asses.

BTW i'm always amazed at the sight of the wild fire, those things are HUGE.

~Chaos~

Edited by Chaos-blades, 27 August 2009 - 11:56 PM.

- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

#11 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Most especially the Nerf Crossbow, which oddly enough turns out to be only ... what? ... thirteen inches long? (kidding)

That's kind of funny, because when I first found my Crossbow at a flea market I was expecting it to be larger.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users