Foam Backing Rod

questioning your measurement system

14 replies to this topic

#1 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Looking over the forums here its plain to see that most of the users are from America. In Australia we use a great system of measument called the metric system. I'm wondering if your 1/2 inch FBR is actually slightly thiner than th 13millimetre stuff I get here and if the 0.3 millimetre difference would be the reason that my stefans jam quite often. Any thoughts? Any one over in the US have some metric calipers they could mesure the FBR with?

#2 hardshot

hardshot

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

I live in Canada so we follow the metric system too, but for us, inches and feet and almost used more often. Anyways, one inch is 2.5cm so..

half inch fbr would be 1.25 cm or 12.5millimeters. Your dart/barrel fit may be your problem.

EDIT: whit, did I anwser your question? Sorry if that was no help.

Edited by hardshot, 18 August 2009 - 08:48 PM.

NEON GREEN DARTS! FINALLY!

I've Been Dreaming of this day.

-Baghead

If you are CANADIAN, Join the Canadian nerf site right now! Click me if your canadian

#3 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, not much help, but thanks anyway, I had worked that out already. I'm sort of wondering if any one has had a similar problem. If any one in Australia Knows where to get FBR that fits in the barrels that would be awesome.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, not much help, but thanks anyway, I had worked that out already. I'm sort of wondering if any one has had a similar problem. If any one in Australia Knows where to get FBR that fits in the barrels that would be awesome.

It's not helpful when you don't mention what barrels. And every batch of FBR is different, so even if you do find a supplier that has fitting foam, next time you buy it might not be the same.

#5 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

It is actually 2.54 cm in 1 inch. So a 1/2 inch is 1.27 cm
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#6 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

Yeah. This I know, I said that in the first post. But would that small difference be the reason that my guns won't take them?

Edited by aardman, 18 August 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#7 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

It's not helpful when you don't mention what barrels. And every batch of FBR is different, so even if you do find a supplier that has fitting foam, next time you buy it might not be the same.
[/quote]

Its just for the stock recon and longshot barrels with the air restrictors removed. What size would you guys use for that?

#8 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

Are your darts too short for the breaching mechanism? I measured my foam to have a diameter of 12.5 millimeters, however it's relatively thin. Did you measure your foam as 13 millimeters or is that just what the package says? If not, the actual diameter may be much greater.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#9 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

Like it's already been mentioned: Not only is every batch of FBR different, but it also behaves differently in different climates (temperature, altitude, etc.)

So no, measuring our FBR would not help you due to the variance in foam.

From personal experience, recons really don't seem to be stefan friendly, especially towards thicker foam.

#10 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

I measured the foam, and it's pretty much spot on 13mm ( I measured it with Digital calipers so i'm pretty sure)
I think the extra half a mm or so, just makes to to thick to be loaded in to the recon without jamming.

#11 Frankie27

Frankie27

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

For 13mm FBR (in Australia) ask Alt over at Oz Nerf. If your not already a member, just search Oz Nerf on google and you'll find it. I have bought 13mm foam from him before (10m worth) and the foam in loose in PETG, but perfect fit for CPVC (called Hep20 over here) For it to work effectively with my Recon, I had to mod the boltsled to push the dart further into the barrel otherwise the fit was too loose.
Incase your wondering, I’m an admin/co-founder of OzNerf
Admin of No. 1 Australian Nerf Site - Oz Nerf

#12 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

Its just for the stock recon and longshot barrels with the air restrictors removed. What size would you guys use for that?

Since no one wants to answer your question...Stock Longshot/Recon barrels are generally too tight for any type of FBR you're going to use. Most people use moddified stock darts when using the stock barrels in these nerf guns.

#13 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

For 13mm FBR (in Australia) ask Alt over at Oz Nerf. If your not already a member, just search Oz Nerf on google and you'll find it. I have bought 13mm foam from him before (10m worth) and the foam in loose in PETG, but perfect fit for CPVC (called Hep20 over here) For it to work effectively with my Recon, I had to mod the boltsled to push the dart further into the barrel otherwise the fit was too loose.
Incase your wondering, I’m an admin/co-founder of OzNerf

It was to loose on the modded barrel or the stock one?

#14 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Are you using a stock clip? If you are the length and not diameter of your dart may be what's causingit to jam.
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#15 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Are you using a stock clip? If you are the length and not diameter of your dart may be what's causingit to jam.

Yeah I am, I tried a number of different lenghts, some worked better than others, mainly the medium size ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users