Photo

Paintball Customizable

16 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:56 PM

Not to be disrespectful (Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just voicing my opinion), but I'm tired of hearing people say nerf blasters are much more customizable than paintball markers. It's not that I don't think nerf is very customizable, but paintball is just as so, if not more. Here's why: You can customize the internals of a paintball marker with new bolts (theres tons of them), trigger frames, triggers, volumizers, and all that good stuff. There's a lot more believe me, I'm just to lazy to drone on and on. (Oh wait thats what I'm about to do) Aside from customizing the gun on the inside, there is much that can be done on the outside as well. Anodizing, new barrels of varying lengths and bores, drop forwards and airports, different options with the tank (CO2 or Nitro, 3000 or 4500 ci tanks, regular or carbon fiber, etc etc), hoppers (of all shapes and kinds), stickers (yes, stickers), and grips are all necessary or optional on a paintball gun. Depending on the type of gun (cocker, angel, intimidator, etc) there can be many other upgrades besides the ones I've mentioned. Now if you don't paintball, a lot of this stuff probably just went in one ear and out the other. If you'd like me to explain something dealing with a paintball marker, just ask, and I'll be glad to.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:42 AM

No, please don't explain. I'd imagine that most people here already know all this.

The problem is that a lot of dickheads have misunderstood the whole `more customizable' argument and made posts just like yours.

Nobody is questioning the ability to purchase a whole bunch of shit to customize your marker. Actually rather the opposite. People who really dig Nerf modding love the fact that every new modification is a result of them finding a new material or method that can be adapted to work in a gun.

Customizing a marker is about 60/40 money/skill. Obviously you need to be smart enough to get parts that work together and make basic adjustments but the fact remains that most competitive PBerz have $1k plus invested. You look through a magazine or go to your local shop and decide which upgrade you want to buy next.

Modding Nerf is about 95/5 skill/money. You have to uncover a gun's weakness, devise a solution, find a suitable material or method, and fabricate parts yourself. Most of the time it will cost less than a burger and fries but require the mentality of a hacker/engineer/physicist.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

stickers (yes, stickers)

Nerf stickers

But yeah, everything else that cxwq said, 100 per cent.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#4 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

Modding Nerf is about 95/5 skill/money. You have to uncover a gun's weakness, devise a solution, find a suitable material or method, and fabricate parts yourself. Most of the time it will cost less than a burger and fries but require the mentality of a hacker/engineer/physicist.

And that is the fun of Nerf! :cry:
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#5 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

I think they are equally customizable. You can fabricate any part you could imagine for both PB or Nerf, you can put stickers on either, or modify either as much as you want. PB is just more expensive than Nerf. As much as you can modify your PB marker, I can modify my nerf blaster. Period.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#6 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:07 PM

Nice one C. Lnl, can you completely change the firing mechanism, the way the gun works, and the number of the barrels on a PB gun? You can on a nerf gun.

THIRST
ko

#7 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:22 PM

DoubleLnL, start modding now and in about a week you'll understand the difference. And thanks for actually posting your view maturely instead of mindlessly like most of the fags that ask that.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#8 vuko44

vuko44

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:52 PM

I think the fact that nerf parts and guns that actually be created and function well makes for a definite advantage in customizability. Shit, you can probably make nerf parts out of play-doh. This allows for the gun to be truly a creation of your own and not off the shelf. Plus, it is possible to modify a great gun for a fraction of the price of a paintball or airsoft gun.

#9 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:14 PM

Can you instantly make your PB marker smaller by cutting off the top, and still retaining functionality? I would hope not. With the help of a hacksaw, you can do it a Nerf gun. I don't care that you can buy pre-fabricated parts from a store for your PB marker, Nerf is about making your own parts. Cannibalizing is a different story that we will leave out of this. But really, customizing you PB marker has it's limits, where as Nerf blasters can always be modified differently. I can tape a laser pointer on my SM5k and call it an improvment, you do the same, and it doesn't help your situation on the PB field much...

Integrations is the ultimate modification... which cannot be done with PB markers. Unless of course, someone found away to join two PB markers together... and keep them working nicely.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#10 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

Well I'm sure that fact that I've haven't yet modded a nerf blaster made my post biased, and as soon as I get home I'm going to go out and buy a Nitefinder and try Yakman's PETG barrel mod on it. Yes, paintball does cost a helluva lot more than nerf, but considering the fact that a nerf pistol only costs around 10 bucks, it enables you to try things like cutting off the top of the gun and such because if you do screw up terribly, its only $10 down the drain. If you tried that with a paintball marker and screwed up, it'd be anywhere between $150 and $1000 wasted. Oh and funnily enough, some strange people have tried stuff like glueing two Tippmanns together and mounting them on top of a tank. THIRST- there is a guy who makes his own two-barreled paintball guns from scratch and sells them, although he's one of the only ones who does so, and then again the gun does cost $910. http://www.palmer-pu...g/semiautos.htm

Edited by DoubleLnL, 13 March 2004 - 02:09 PM.

#11 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:10 PM

Sniper5000 usd to make homemade paintball guns too...Pretty sick stuff.

THIRST
ko

#12 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Not quite that sick, Thirst. That was Ragornocks' NF mod, right DoubleLnL? Last time I checked, Yakman was off... Well, somewhere else.

I agree that both Nerf and Paintball can be modified to the same degrees, and I actually have a bit more respect for Paintball and Airsoft mods; They're often much more complex. Tape/Stickers aren't a mod... I could take a bite out of my gun, and call the teeth marks a mod, too: Doesn't mean it does anything to improve the gun's functionality.
If you count integrations as "joining" two firing systems together (casings or not): We don't see as much of that in Paintball because with semi-automatic firing systems, you don't need it. There are examples of grenade launchers and shotguns on some Paintball guns, which by the same token would count as "integrations." The whole integration trend was just born of annoyance with single-shot, flint-lock-style firing systems in Nerf. Or so I'd assume... I'm not sure if that was Vacc's reasoning, but it was certainly mine.

Biggest difference between modifications in Nerf and modifications in Paintball and Airsoft is that in Nerf you generally need to, in order to pose any kind of threat to your opponents. Nerf guns are made to be weak. Paintball markers and Airsoft... Whatever they're called rather than "guns"... are built to fire long distances, with a nice hefty safety factor.

Paintball has max FPS rules: Nerf's plastic tanks just explode.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#13 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:33 AM

Not quite that sick, Thirst.

It was made out of mostly pvc...Pretty impressive if you ask me.

THIRST
ko

#14 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:16 PM

Sniper5000 never created a semi-automatic paintball gun, and any idiot can throw a 3/4" CPVC barrel on a pump action airgun. I'm not trying to bash Sniper5000; He was a cool kid, but he never produced anything to compete with those Typhoon markers. He did, however, have better grammar than that guy. ^_^

[...Holster able...]
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#15 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

No, I meant off of Yakman's site. Ya, Nasty Typhoons are pretty insane if you ask me, but I heard that if you fall, which you inevitably (sp?) will sooner or later, the barrels will dent. Since the barrels aren't removeable like most paintball gun barrels are, you're pretty much screwed until you find time to send it back to Palmers' for a fix up. Stickers aren't really a paintball mod, but I was considering them more as an look-improver than an actual performance mod. Oh, and if there are spelling errors, it's the old '90s keyboards at the computer center, since I really don't have time to checkover my spelling right now.

#16 thiskid13

thiskid13

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:10 PM

i'm honestly more of a paintball fan than nerf fan but i find you can make just as many mods on piantball guns, if not more. you just need the right materials. i've found a way to make a high flow bolt for my paintball gun just out of some copper tubing. if you can find tubing that's the right diameter you can make a homemade barrel. i know how to make a homemade bottomline out of a high pressere oil hose, a reducer and a ball valve. theres more but i doubt you understand much of what i'm talking about anyways. if you've ever taken a blow back semi fully appart you'd realize that it's not much more complicated than a nerf gun, the only difference is that a paintball gun is steel and is made by someone who has the right tools. i have modded nerf guns though and made my own so i've experienced both worlds. i've made a water gun shoot paintalls at 400fps.i have a homemade gun now that shoots AA batteries and giant lead fishing weights at 1000fps (me and my friend chronographed it) and when shooting horizontally it has a range of about 800 feet, only god knows how far it would go if it were shot at a 45* angle. it obviously isn't for shooting at people though. my final conclusion is that paintball is better for mods because you can make just as many if not more mods just from parts at the hardware store and if you get bored of that you can buy specifically made parts that are guartanteed to work. paintball is a little more exciting becuase it moves faster, faster rates of fire, and its more like a combat situation also adding to the excitement. some of you are probably a little pissed at me right now but you should really try paintball if you haven't already. i'm not saying you should abandon nerf for paintball, you can like both.

Edited by thiskid13, 22 March 2004 - 07:13 PM.

#17 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

I skimmed through the topic and replies; short on time right now.

DoubleLnL, I was much like you back in "the day"... When I was a newbie, I'd ask [myself] these same questions, especially the dispute in Pb vs Nerf. Essentially, it all goes down to price. I don't have thousands of dollars free to spend on paintball guns. I do, however, have $100 to spend on my entire arsenal of Nerf guns.

What also makes Nerf better, in my opinion, is the ability to customize... This has been brought up several times. Take a cheap Wal-Mart gun, raise its velocity, barrel-mod it, make a new case for it, slap a scope on it, and take it to your nearest paintball field.

Oh, and if I may ask, what is your age?

~Mystic~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users