Toy Armor Made Into Manta Style Shield.

AKA Poor Man's Scimitar

10 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

So I was at the Dollar Tree. I noticed that it recently got a bunch of cheap toy armor and related things. For some odd reason, I thought of making the "Robot Chestplate" into a Scimitar style sheild. Here is what I did:

Most of the inspiration for this is from Falcon's Scimitar
In the package:

Posted Image

Compared to a NF.

Posted Image

Compared to my SadManta. And no, I did not damage the edges, that was how I got it.

Posted Image

I took of the cardboard label peice, and cut off the little straps.

Posted Image

I pick/peeled off all the stickers.

Posted Image

I decided to cut it down in some spots, to give it a less square shape, and to make the bending spot smaller. Here is where I marked to cut:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cut them out with a dremel, and filed it down some to even it out.

Posted Image

Almost there................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Get a hair dryer or heat gun, and go to a well ventilated area (like outside). Put the tool on maximum heat setting, and concentrate the heat on the center part.

Posted Image

When it's heated up, hold it like this, and make sure it's all ligned up. Hold it until it cools.

Posted Image

My first attempt turned out not completely bent, because I wasn't applying enough pressure.

Posted Image

But, the slightly bent version is more like the actual manta. It went over my arm nice.

Posted Image

Edited by venom213, 14 August 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#2 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

This was how it turned out in the end.

Posted Image

On the NF.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't mounted it yet, but many things would work. I am considering, velcro, screws and nuts, pipe clamps and more. It shouldn't be that hard.

Edited by venom213, 14 August 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#3 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

Why did you bend it so far?

And how thick is the plastic? say, as compared with a nerf gun's.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#4 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Nice, now your gun is larger, more awkward, and is a lot easier to hit.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#5 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Elf: Blocking darts is different with this setup than with a regular manta. See The Original Scimitar. The plastic is thin, and reallly flexible too. Kind of rubbery.

Hierarchy: It's really not anymore awkward. I hold it just like normal, and it doesn't really obstruct anything. Well, no shit it's going to be larger, but it becomes a shield in turn.

#6 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Ok I get it now... sorry I had a break from nerf for about a year and missed some stuff. Still working to catch up.

Now we just need to work on getting these to be legal at our wars.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#7 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

I like the thought. But the use of a NF really puts it all too waste. Something like a BS/SMDTB trigger combo would be pretty awesome tho. Make use of the integration possibilities that the wings of this contraption offer you. What really makes the Manta work as a shield is that the shielding aspect of it is already orientated the correct way.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

Mine will be better. 3 plates, articulated, and it is covered in leather.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#9 thedarksideofnerf

thedarksideofnerf

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

You should put an excesorie rail on the top. :lol:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#10 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Frankly I think this is more or less invalid considering at a lot of wars the Manta is the only /legal/ shield.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#11 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Frankly I think this is more or less invalid considering at a lot of wars the Manta is the only /legal/ shield.

That is a valid point. But, here in Minnesota, we allow Mantas, Crossfire Shields, and things similar to Mantas in size and shape, unless they provide too much of an advantage. Flaming Hilt is the only one here who really uses a shield well, so it really depends on the nerfer and their playstyle too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users