Photo

Lanard Hand Cannon Modification

Including Plunger Draw Extension (Picture Heavy)

18 replies to this topic

#1 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

(If you just want to see the mod, skip to Materials and Tools)

The Lanard Hand Cannon (LHC) is pretty cool right out of the box. It shoots huge (nearly 1” OD) darts that look like jumbo stefans. This gun really has potential. The internals are sturdy (and can be reinforced) and the plunger tube is fairly large.

This modification will go over a few things. We’ll be extending the plunger draw to move more air, improving the seal, adding a spring, as well as adding PVC coupler with minimal dead space. Finally, we’ll be reinforcing the internals so that this puppy can last war after war.

First, open it up. All screws are the same length except the one under the pump handle; it is a little bit shorter. Take note of the internals, the catch and trigger mech are a little different than the usual springer. Because of this clicking plunger draw, we can extend the pump pull and get more air moving faster.

Some of the other mods (using a recon spring) as well as wrapping the coupler in e-tape may have come from Darken.

Materials and Tools Required

Materials:
Recon Spring (or other spring)
Epoxy Putty
PVC Coupler
JB-Weld (or epoxy)
Electrical Tape
Hot Glue
Canned Liquid Foam (used for straw mods and such)
Tools:
Dremel (Cut off wheel and sander attachments)
Hot Glue Gun
1/4” Drill bit and Drill Press (Preferred, but a hand drill or dremel will work)
Ruler
Marker

First, let’s start with the plunger rod. The stock seal is terrible. There isn’t much seal at all. Wrap some electrical tape (tightly) around the outer larger ring (Just under 2 wraps). The top of the tape should be about even with the very end of the plunger rod.
It should look like this:
Posted Image

Next, take your canned foam stuff and fill all the dead space. Leave it slightly under the edge of the tape, as we will be adding hot glue. You can use hot glue instead of the foam, but then it is not removable if need-be.
Posted Image

Now add hot glue over the top to add some toughness to the top. Also, glue on your foam cushion. I used a ring from an old disk shooter, cut down to fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally, add a spring. I used a recon spring and a stock spring. I got the recon spring on by force, then twisting once it was started.

Posted Image
A note about spring replacement: The plunger rod is really wide, so a spring to be used must have a larger ID. A #49 is just slightly too small.

As always, add lube to the plunger tube and ensure a tight-ish fit.

Now, take the plunger slide mover rod thing. Lightly sand the pieces to be reinforced and add epoxy putty as seen below.

Posted Image

I outlined the epoxy putty because it’s tough to see with the color of the plastic. This piece is much sturdier than that of the PAS, also easier to reinforce. Keep the epoxy putty flush with the plastic so it can still slide in the shell.

Now, place back the internals, (take the springs off the plunger rod), and line them up. Click the plunger rod back. It should click 8 times. Move the plunger rod so that it clicks a 9th time. Mark where the shell needs to be cut, like so:

Posted Image

Then, cut out along the green so the plunger draw piece can slide. I think I used a 1/4” drill bit. Drill it out, and then cut it with a dremel. Sand down the other pieces. They just slide together; no screw will go in that post.

Posted Image
When you’re done, it should look like this:

Posted Image

Repeat the process with the other side of the shell.

Now, we need to make the plunger handle be able to move the slide back that far. The easiest way is to cut the handle, rather than cut the shell. (While doing this late at night, I started to cut the shell; I had to repair with epoxy putty, which is why my gun has the putty on the side).
Line up the handle with the holes so you can gage how much needs to be cut.

Posted Image
Cut off the end.

Here it is compared to a stock one:

Posted Image

And here’s a shot of the end. It’s about flush with the brace piece that comes across.
Posted Image

Now, let’s add a coupler.

Cut a PVC coupler in half. Sand down the bottom so that it will fit level and the barrel will not be crooked. It fits in the large orange piece perfectly, and fights perfectly on top of the smaller one with the AR. Drill out the AR.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Take the two orange pieces with the AR and the peg, and drill/dremel them out. I drilled out the smaller one and dremeled the other one with the sanding attachment. Wrap electrical tape around the PVC coupler leaving you room for adhesive at the bottom. It should fit well in the fake barrel. Not too snug, but a nice fit. If you plan on RSCBing this guy, cut the fake barrel to the same length as the coupler. (Or suffer from extra dead space).
Line it up like this:

Posted Image
Then line it up and JB-Weld it. Clamp it while it dries.

Picture Limit Reached, Continued in next post.

Edited by Hipponater, 13 August 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#2 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image

When all is said and done, it should look like this:

Posted Image

Now, for more reinforcement. I noticed my blaster was starting to look cracked and warping around these parts:

Posted Image

It holds the plunger tube from the back and would be good for reinforcement. Add epoxy putty carefully, looking at where is reinforced on the following pictures. I got carried away and added too much so the plunger tube could not sit right and had to sand it down. It can extend no further than what is shown below:

Posted Image
(Note, we will be changing this spring around)

Posted Image

Take your catch spring and flip it around so it looks like this:

Posted Image

It’s now much stronger. Also, add epoxy putty to the clicking piece as seen above. I added more to the piece that slides down, but it broke off. You should be safe without it.

Now, put it back together. When you prime it, it should click 9 times. If it does not, look at the shell and see if the bottom if blocking the pump handle. If so, dremel to fix the problem.
Right now, with the recon spring addition and a 10” barrel, I’m hitting 80-90’ or so. With more time spent perfecting barrel length and dart weight (BB vs. 3/0), as well as more spring it could potentially get more.
This is a sturdy gun which gives the PAS a run for its money. It may not get the same ranges, but should last longer. It’s also a hand cannon.
Let me know if I can clarify anything with more pictures or a better explanation, this is my first mod posted as a write up. Thanks!

#3 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

Wow, great write-up. You covered all the basics and more in detail.

I'm aslo glad to see you found another way to extend the plunger draw other than struck by stefans'. Looks much cleaner and feels as if it'll last for longer.

Awesome work.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#4 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Um...you kinda jacked some of my mods with this. But no problem, I love your idea for increasing the drawback length. It makes you wonder why they have that final notch when they don't make the gun use it.

#5 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

Um...you kinda jacked some of my mods with this. But no problem, I love your idea for increasing the drawback length. It makes you wonder why they have that final notch when they don't make the gun use it.

Sorry, I tried to be as different as possible but somethings are best done one way, the only thing I really took was using a recon spring. I read your mod when it was first posted, but didn't refer to it while I did mine or anything. I'll edit you in for credit, though.

Thanks, Glint.

#6 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

As usual, you guys steal my mods without asking and don't give me any fucking credit. giv me credit!

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#7 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

As usual, you guys steal my mods without asking and don't give me any fucking credit. giv me credit!

Oh fuck off Stuck...

We have been talking about this mod in the IRC since before you posted it you probably stole it from us.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#8 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Oh fuck off Stuck...

We have been talking about this mod in the IRC since before you posted it you probably stole it from us.

Don

Let's just stop this now.

Edited by stuck by stefan, 13 August 2009 - 05:59 PM.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#9 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

How is this stealing you mod? I just looked at yours for the first time, and mine is strictly better. You weaken the internals, which is one of the best parts of this blaster.

This is getting a little out of control, Darken has some what of a point, I guess I did put e-tape around the coupler for extra support. However, I'm not trying to steal anything here, just help people out who want to mod this gun.

If you guys have tips or comments, I'd love to hear them, but if you want to complain that something in my mod is similar in effect to your mod, but done in a better fashion, take it up with me via PM.

#10 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hipponater, basically there are very few mods that can be done to make any nerfy style blaster shoot further, technically If anyone OWNS a a mod for increasing the stroke it would be Just Some Bob who discussed it in the IRC long before suck by stefen made his post. The blaster ICE got at apoc also had a mod to increase piston stroke simply by cutting the shell in a few unimportant places..

Now If you had claimed that you "invented" a new mod and then just posted his mod word for word I could understand him being annoyed.... but instead he is just annoying...

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#11 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Very, very nice writeup, and I realize that you are not the first one to do this mod, but who cares.

It's a great gun, and also a new gun there is probably going to be a lot of write-ups for it, and each one is
going to be very similar, but also each mod is going to have some differences.

Once again very nice mod, this seem like a great gun.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#12 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

This is a nice mod, better one of them next to Wrench's. Some people should go to bed early instead of whining about internet cred in an ONLINE NERF COMMUNITY. All in all, nice writeup.

Edited by CA13, 13 August 2009 - 08:46 PM.

Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#13 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Sorry, I tried to be as different as possible but somethings are best done one way, the only thing I really took was using a recon spring. I read your mod when it was first posted, but didn't refer to it while I did mine or anything. I'll edit you in for credit, though.

Thanks, Glint.

Actually meant the plunger head dead space removal, but then there really aren't many other ways to do it =/ No need for credit, was just saying. Thanks though =)

But with that out of the way you should try shoving in a bigger spring with those reinforced internals. Sadly LS springs don't fit. Though, you can find some pretty strong ones from Home Depot for a couple bucks, comes with two large and two tiny ones.

Edited by Darken, 13 August 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hipponater, basically there are very few mods that can be done to make any nerfy style blaster shoot further, technically If anyone OWNS a a mod for increasing the stroke it would be Just Some Bob who discussed it in the IRC long before suck by stefen made his post. The blaster ICE got at apoc also had a mod to increase piston stroke simply by cutting the shell in a few unimportant places..

Now If you had claimed that you "invented" a new mod and then just posted his mod word for word I could understand him being annoyed.... but instead he is just annoying...

Don

Yeah, I'm not trying to claim anything, just trying to show a new way of doing it. It's clean and safe for the gun in terms of not sacrificing strength. I will most likely be changing to your style of plunger head, it should enable even further extension of the plunger draw.

Very, very nice writeup, and I realize that you are not the first one to do this mod, but who cares.

It's a great gun, and also a new gun there is probably going to be a lot of write-ups for it, and each one is
going to be very similar, but also each mod is going to have some differences.

Once again very nice mod, this seem like a great gun.

Thanks a lot. This really is a great gun, it has a great feel. I plan on really using this a lot, especially because it's sturdy enough, unlike my PAS.

Actually meant the plunger head dead space removal, but then there really aren't many other ways to do it =/ No need for credit, was just saying. Thanks though =)

But with that out of the way you should try shoving in a bigger spring with those reinforced internals. Sadly LS springs don't fit. Though, you can find some pretty strong ones from Home Depot for a couple bucks, comes with two large and two tiny ones.

Oh, yeah, I kinda got the idea from your plunger head, but then changed to the foam stuff so I could pull it off I need be. I might actually change it to Badwrench's idea of taking off the second smaller ring so I can maybe extend the pump even further.

Rats, I just bought a LS spring, hopefully the BBB spring will fit too. I checked at my ace, none of the springs could fit the wide plunger rod. I'll look into some springs at home depot if the BBB doesn't work out. Or I might try a PAS spring, it's a little big, but the blaster can handle it.

Thanks for the feedback!

#15 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Nice. If I ever come across one of these I'll know what to do with it (besides painting it).

As for "owning" a mod, in my view, if someone posts a mod on a public forum, they are essentially sharing that mod with the rest of the community. Petty ego boosts do nothing to advance the modding skills of community members, so I don't see why people hang onto them like teddy bears.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#16 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

BBB springs will fit in the hand cannon, I think they're smaller than a Recon spring. But either way I know it will due to both a Recon and BBB spring fitting in my BBB. =P

#17 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

I have put a BBB spring in my hand cannon and I am hitting over 100 feet consistantly I love this gun and am very happy with every write-up I have seen I think this gun has even more potential then what we have come up with and for me it already has dethroned the PAS.

Also I really like your write-up the re-enforcement step was very helpful to me.

Finally due to my epoxy putty re-enforcement the shotgun pump doesn't return. Do you have this problem? I am probably just going to add a bigger pull spring so it can return but other suggestions are encouraged.
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

#18 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have put a BBB spring in my hand cannon and I am hitting over 100 feet consistantly I love this gun and am very happy with every write-up I have seen I think this gun has even more potential then what we have come up with and for me it already has dethroned the PAS.

Also I really like your write-up the re-enforcement step was very helpful to me.

Finally due to my epoxy putty re-enforcement the shotgun pump doesn't return. Do you have this problem? I am probably just going to add a bigger pull spring so it can return but other suggestions are encouraged.

My pump returns fine, is your epoxy putty level with the sides of the pump? Is it catching on something? A stronger spring is definitely an option, but it should return fine without one. Maybe sand down the putty if it's catching on something.

#19 L3G10N

L3G10N

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

My pump returns fine, is your epoxy putty level with the sides of the pump? Is it catching on something? A stronger spring is definitely an option, but it should return fine without one. Maybe sand down the putty if it's catching on something.

Maybe its the extra friction from the FBR I put in the pump but I will try sanding it down
Or my personal favorite, the mini butane blow torch! That will thing will remove the gay from of Clay Aiken.
-Banshee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users