Photo

Recon O-rings

11 replies to this topic

#1 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:28 AM

Ok, I've been having this problem with my recon for a while now, I find that with my Modded Recon (AR removal, pre-compressed spring and an aditional spring in the stock) that the stock o-ring didn't last very long. I think its the combination of the increased speed of the plunger and a lack of lube that killed it.

I can't find a good replacement, does any one know where I can get one? And has anyone else had this problem?

I live in Australia so unfortunaly I can't get to any American stores...

Edited by aardman, 13 August 2009 - 03:32 AM.

#2 BoneRiot

BoneRiot

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

Sadly i can't contribute anything meaningful beyond a bump. I love my recond to death, have done the same mods and my o ring got worked to shit.
They call me Afro Thunder
QUOTE(CaptainSlug)

Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended for 9,999 days.

#3 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

Ive done similar mods, and my O-ring has not failed me yet. The biggest advice I can offer is make sure you use a plastic and rubber safe lubricant, of which captain slug has been kind enough to lay out Here . After every other war or so, I add a little grease to the plunger tube as a whole, and its been working fine.

Regarding getting a new o-ring, my best advice is to bring the deceased ring to a hardware store and ask them if they have any o-rings matching what you have. If they need to ask for what applications, just say its used in a plunger rod with ABS plastics and silicone lubricant. Hope this helps.

-Muttonchops
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#4 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

If you still have the original O-ring, you can check which number would be the equivalent here.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#5 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

My very first modded blaster was a recon (I know, I started late). I did a lot of dumb things, one of them was neglecting to lube the original O-ring. Eventually it dried out so much that it would catch inside of the reverse plunger, slowing its movement down so that performance was piddly.

A hardware store would be your best bet.

If you have calipers, use them. If not, bring your reverse plunger and boltsled to the store with you. You might even find something better than the original O-ring. You'd probably be best off looking in the plumbing isle first, and then the loose parts bins.

Pick up some good silicon lube while you're there too.

#6 FatNerfer

FatNerfer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

If you have a maverick you can use the O-ring from that.
QUOTE(SchizophrenicMC @ Feb 8 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

QUOTE(PunkPictures @ Oct 9 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
nerfhaven is so fucking gay.

#7 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

Yeah most Of the hardware stores I've been to don't seem to have that size. I've seen some people putting more than one O ring on their Longshots, is it possible to do the same on a recon

#8 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

If you have thrift stores nearby, they usually sell recons cheap, so yo ucould buy one, take the o ring and have a bunch of replacement parts for the future.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#9 aardman

aardman

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

Ah, I don't want to sound slow or anything, but I have no idea what a thrift store is. In fact I don think I have ever heard that term used before.

Edited by aardman, 17 August 2009 - 10:33 PM.

#10 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

Ah, I don't want to sound slow or anything, but I have no idea what a thrift store is. In fact I don think I have ever heard that term used before.

An example of a "thrift store" is Salvation Army.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#11 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

A thrift store is a store where people donate old and unwanted items, and then the store sells them for low prices.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#12 tack66

tack66

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

You could e-tape the plunger head with no o-ring as a last resort.
My Brute

Join now we need new content all things nerf
Come on you know you wanna join.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users