Photo

Good Modding Gun?

16 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:03 PM

Ok I'm just starting to get back into nerf, and I think I'm ready to start modding guns. But what I'm really wondering is what's a good gun to try to mod for the first time or a gun that can be modded multiple times (all mods are relatively simple and easy)? I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to start modding barrels yet. A) I'm pretty sure I can't get my hands on any PVC or brass and B) I don't have a clue how to use crayola barrels. Right now I'm just thinking of a gun that can be easily air modded, and that I may be able to barrel mod when I feel ready to.

#2 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:08 PM

Barrel mods aren't that hard to do. I use copper because it has the closest fit for my FBR. Brass would probably work as well, but it is more expensive, so I just go with copper.
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#3 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:20 PM

From the guns that I've modded I'd say that the SM1500 would be the way to go. It's easier to get into that the AT2000 and is less fragile in my experiances. You can start by opening it up, plugging the air pump valve and removing the air restrictors from the barrel. You can optionally do a bic pen trigger pull mod by taking out the trigger spring and replacing it with a piece of bic pen. When you are ready you can barrel mod this either multi barrel or single barrel. If you get your hands on a large gun body of some sort this is also a popular gun to integrate.

#4 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:14 PM

How do you open up the Airtech series, or any gun for that matter? Also, I guess what I've been trying to say is, I'm not exactly sure HOW to mod a barrel. Do you just stick a brass pipe down the regular guns barrel or what?

#5 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:44 PM

The first gun i modded was splitfire, iused Cxwq's mod in the mods section and found it very simple to do. I'd say follow someone elses directions before experimenting with your own.
What would the robit do? Frame someone! -Futurama

I have 7 kids.
7!? Lady I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once and a while!-Groucho Marks(The End of Live TV)

#6 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:54 PM

HHMM well thats a good question LnL. Any ways most guns you cut the stock barrels off, then glue you petg, copper, brass, pvc, or cpvc in where the old barrel used to be. But to start a gun mod just go to a website where they show you how to mod a gun, like Yakman's page, or like I said Grinch's page, a good reveiw page is Nerf Center.

Usually you open a gun up by taking the screws out. But sometimes there are these annoying little caps on some guns. (usually there aren't caps on guns, but, sometimes)

Also try just opening a gun up first.(not moddin it) When I did this to my gun I was scared stupid, I opened it up and then showed my family how it looked then I just kinda stared at it then I hurried up and put the case back on. :lol: But just start with looking on a website about how a gun looks on the inside before you open it up, and uhhmmm don't be turning it upside down and stuff,(when its open) till you know how the gun works.

Then when you get good you can start thinking of your own mods, and things like that. But really there's not really anything you have to be worried about, but start modding your own guns first, so you get good, then you could start modding freind's guns. That way there's less of a chance of breaking his gun.(which would be bad)

But make surethey don't rob you of your materials, so like guve 'em the first mod free then charge them like a buck or two, you don't hafta charge them but make sure they don't take advantage of your abilities. ;)

Any way I've been typing alot in this little response.
So thats it......for now

><Moose><
------

#7 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hehe... well I think I'm going to be begin by taking apart my friends old sharpshooter I, but not tinkering or anything. I don't think he'll mind because we don't have any of it's specialized ammo and its practically worthless. Also, when you use brass, petg, pvc, etc can you still use mega and micro darts or do you have to make your own stefans for it? Oh and by the way, what is a Zero? I hear people talking about them, and I assume they're a type of stefan, but I'm not sure what sets them apart from regular and micro stefans.

#8 david00790

david00790

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:02 AM

just be careful, the sharpshooter1 is a great weapon.

#9 moosenukem

moosenukem

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:47 PM

Pvc is for megas, cpvc, copper, brass, and petg is for mini's, but it gives it a better fit on the dart so it shoots farther.

I gotta go to this youth group fun thing so I won't be here till sat night or something. Good luck with your freind's gun.

Moose

#10 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:43 PM

A zero uses a foam collar at the tip of it much like a micro uses a rubber collar at the tip of it. I found zeros shoot further than micros but its a pain in the ass to go out and find foam sheets and then cut and glue them on. I rather use micro stefans and settle with the decreased range, which is only several feet.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#11 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:04 PM

A Zero dart is a type of stefan invented by Zero. It is made the same way as a regular stefan, but but a small foam collar is then glued onto the front. Instead of fitting into cpvc or some other material, it fits into pvc becuase of the foam coller.

THIRST
ko

#12 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

You should first decide what size dart you will use. If you want to use stefan megas, just use 1/2" pvc. If you want to use micros like most people, use the materials others are describing. My prefrences for micro darts are crayola barrels for spring guns and Sch. 80 PVC (the black kind) for ones with longer ranges.

Also if you already have red micro darts, they fit well in 1/2" pvc but if you're going with barrel materials for micro stefans, pull off the rubber tip and fix the end with a bb and hotglue.

Read this
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#13 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

So you're looking for a good first mod, eh? Well, the firs guns I modded were *surprise* my two locknloads. They're really really simple guns, and super easy to mod. I'm not sure if you've done htis or not, but you can take off the big yellow sliding top. It makes the gun a lot smaller and look a lot cooler. You can tape a key ring on the cocking handle to make it easier to cock too. Even if you don't want to do any mods, I'd do this. Now you don't have to open the gun up, unless you want to replace the spring inside. (use one from a ratchetblast or chainblazer) This isn't necessary but will make the gun shoot a lot further. Now if you want your gun to shoot megas, all you have to do is pull out that peg i the barrel because it restricts a lot of the air, decreasing range. If you want to shoot micro darts, get some 1/2 inch cpvc, wrap it in one layer of duct tape, and shove it into the barrel, it should fit perfectly. If you're just using stock micros then it only has to be as long as the barrel, amybe a bit longer so you can pull it out easier. Then you can shoot either megas with the regualr barrel, or attach the cpvc adapter to shoot micros.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#14 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

Ya, I took off the yellow cover-thing a long time ago when I first got it. I never really counted that as a mod though, since it just involved ripping it off. Aside from taking the yellow thing off, I haven't modded my LnLs at all. As I said in another forum, I'm planning on buying a Nitefinder and modding the barrel with PETG. Further on I plan on modding my LnLs, but for now they're working just fine, and I don't want to tinker with them.

#15 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

If you don't want to risk harming your gun, then you could use a glue stick barrel attachment that sandman came up with: http://nerfevolved.f...lattachment.php

#16 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 05:01 PM

Well, first off, I'd take your worst gun and attempt to mod that one first... The first gun I tried to modify was my arrowstorm, and I took it apart and ended up losing pieces and busting the whole thing, so now it doesn't even work :D . So I would suggest using your worst (or least favorte) gun first. Once you decide which gun to mod, follow Formerly Sane's advice. Also, if you dont' like working with copper or pvc, or cpvc or brass or PETG, use crayola barrels. Just pop off the back, cut off the top of the marker and sand down the little ridges inside the marker. I know there's a topic on how to do them, but I'm just too lazy to look it up. Also, with the crayola barrel thing, you can do that to several guns without actually harming it too much. Like my crayola mods on my Eagle eye and T3 Defender didn't require any un-doable actions. (Keep in mind I did open them up to plug all the holes and such

~ompa

#17 DoubleLnL

DoubleLnL

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:35 PM

Well as I said in earlier posts in other discussions, I've decided to use a PETG barrel on my Nitefinder. Although, eventually, I plan on trying to use all the different kinds of barrels, probably starting with a Crayola one. Also the glue stick barrel thing sounds nifty, but unfortunately the computers here in the computer center are extremely slow and I'd rather read other discussions than wait for five minutes to read up on gluestick barrels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users