Posted Image
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Cool but why not just a regular big salvo? DO people really hate the triggers that much?
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Cool but why not just a regular big salvo? DO people really hate the triggers that much?

Salvo shells are ugly and the triggers are uncomfortable.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#5 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

And Fireflys are extremely comfortable with great triggers.

#6 The Kart Racing Nerf Man

The Kart Racing Nerf Man

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

I've always wanted to do this with my Firefly, well not exactly. I will probably just do what you did but with a AT2k.
On topic, Great job!! It looks really cool and probably functions well also.
Another thing, I love your write ups. They are just a blast to read and look at. Can't wait to see some more!
I'm a Mac

Paste this into your sig if you are a Mac.

#7 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

You forgot to put the ammo holders back on :)

I would personally have glued the salvo tanks to the plexiglass, and then mount that on the turret stabilizer (or barring any glue whatsoever, used hose clamps to clamp them to a mounting bracket). You method seems like you would still get some wobble especially when pulling off barrels. The same goes for the pump, as to get salvo tanks even past the 70' mark requires a plugged pump, which means you end up using quite a lot of force on it.

Otherwise, splendid.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#8 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

And now comes the sick ass paint job right???
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#9 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

This is one of the few times that you should actually use hot glue. It would still allow you to remove the internals with a bit of tugging.

#10 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

The beggining part with Tailo made me laugh...

Great mod, I love your writeups, they can be very good.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#11 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Not sure yet.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#12 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

Dizzy Duck, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your write ups and the style with which you do them.
I also really like this transplant job very clean. And I agree, the firefly is hella comfy. The one thing that hasn't been stated that I would suggest is switching plastics, plexi in my experience has a bad habit of shattering.
Once again, great job. Hope to see some more of your work.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#13 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

You forgot to put the ammo holders back on :)

The Firefly I got was missing the ammo holders. It's not a biggie. I'll probably end up filling the gap with something like plastic sheet later, unless someone wants to donate a set of Firefly ammo holders.

</shameless plug>

You method seems like you would still get some wobble especially when pulling off barrels.

It took about a week of work to get the tanks not to slide back into the mouth of the Firefly shell when pushing barrels in. I solved that with the plexiglass brackets and a little work sanding the back ends of the barrels so they slide in easier.

As for your plugged pump suggestion, I'm still trying to figure out how I'd go about doing that. Maybe there's already a writeup for that in the NIC but I missed it.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#14 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

As for your plugged pump suggestion, I'm still trying to figure out how I'd go about doing that. Maybe there's already a writeup for that in the NIC but I missed it.

I think your only option is to cut open the front, plug it, then glue it back together.

Is the white piece behind the salvo pump a check valve? If so, does the salvo pump really not have one (or is it located in the trigger mech)? That may explain why mine was not working too well...

#15 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Is the white piece behind the salvo pump a check valve? If so, does the salvo pump really not have one (or is it located in the trigger mech)? That may explain why mine was not working too well...

Theres one there, but I was dumb and cut it off.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#16 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oh, you don't know how to plug the pump? I did mine by cutting it off at the front by the ring, plugging it, and then sanding out the ring to fit over the original tube. Then either glue it on, or just use some tape (like I do) to keep it from jostling around but still removeable.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#17 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

That's awesome, another gun from the works of Dizzyduck.

Was the challenge of this mod the mod itself, or the fact that you wanted to make all of the internals
removable?

Not sure yet.

I think you should, this would look sweet with a nice paintjob.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#18 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

Was the challenge of this mod the mod itself, or the fact that you wanted to make all of the internals
removable?

Making everything removable, so in the (unlikely) event that a tank ruptures or develops a leak, I can replace it without a gigantic headache.

I say "not sure yet" because I don't know if I'll be able to get a base coat of vinyl dye on it here in Richmond. Otherwise I'd paint it in a heartbeat, along with adding lights to it (I'd have to relocate the battery holder and put in a new switch, since the Salvo trigger attachment goes right where the circuit board for the original Firefly switch used to be).
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#19 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

How far of a trigger pull is needed for each shot? like, can you use the 4 shots in a semi-automatic kind of way?

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#20 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

How far of a trigger pull is needed for each shot? like, can you use the 4 shots in a semi-automatic kind of way?

Yes. Personally I like using shots 1 and 2 as my primary shots and leave 3 and 4 for emergencies (or if I'm rushing and I need the extra shots).
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#21 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Not sure yet.

I think you should, this would look sweet with a nice paintjob.

I thought that you already had a paintjob done for this. In your paint shop thread it says Hellcat shell under samples of your work. Whatever happened to that?

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=15336
and
http://i285.photobuc...n/coatfinal.jpg
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#22 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

In your paint shop thread it says Hellcat shell under samples of your work. Whatever happened to that?

I sold Hellcat to balisticjoe.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#23 DartzDude

DartzDude

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

That will be one sexy beast with a awesome paintjob
When life gives you burrito's, you simply devour them!

#24 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#25 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Great painjob as always Dizzy. It looks way better and more comfy than a big salvo.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users