Stormfire Modification

STF

23 replies to this topic

#1 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

So ya, here's my first modification. I guess I had to get around contributing some time or later. This Modication is for the STF blaster, STORMFIRE. The plunger tube is wider, and shorter than an NF plunger tube to my analysis. Never the less, the blaster seems to be achieving fantastic ranges, which makes me love these blasters more and more.

--------------------------
ITEMS REQUIRED
--------------------------
  • Hotglue
  • Sharp Scissors
  • 4" of PETG
  • 3~ of dowel*
  • Etape
  • Screwdriver
  • Ace #49 / Everbilt 4" x 7/8" x .080"
  • Dremel
  • Danco #9 O-ring
  • NF/Switchshot O-ring
  • Goop
  • Superglue
  • 1 Stormfire
  • Flat File
  • (Needle) Pliers
  • Silicone Spray/Grease
  • Safety Glasses
  • Ruler
  • Hacksaw
Alright, here is your Stormfire Blaster. Ranges are low at stock, but it has some awesome stuff to it. The handle is huge. It has 4 ammo holders. No protruding parts or stuff sticking out. This is my kinda' blaster.
Posted Image

Start off by unscrewing the blaster. There's about 18 screws!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

When you take off the shell, most likely the catch spring will pop right at you or somewhere across the room. In my case, I was very lucky and it stood still. For further investigation, here's what it looks like. Its very small and skinny, be careful!
Posted Image

Now that challenge is done, here's what the internals look like.
Posted Image
----------------
Plunger Modification
----------------
Take out the plunger tube, we're going to start here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, unscrew the plunger head. This is a typical Nitefinder head, simple and strong.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now take off that wimpy spring. That thing is ridiculously weak!
Posted Image

Here is our Everbilt spring. You're going to have to cut it down so it fits in the shell.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, we're going to increase the seal. I took a Switchshot O-ring to improve the seal. It's incredible how much it improved, I'm sure some etape under that would be overkill.
Posted Image

If you want to shoot stefans, we have to cut the original barrel off. Not too hard, but you're going to need a hacksaw or a dremel. This is where you want to cut-
Posted Image

Edited by Merzlin, 29 July 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#2 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Now that you cut it off, you can proceed to drill out the hole.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Test fit your PETG inside the hole. Hopefully it fits the first time, if not, keep on slightly shaving away at the walls until it achieves the fit we want; nice and tight.
Posted Image

Now, we need to cut our PETG to length. 4" should suffice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

We want our PETG to be at the end of the plunger tube so no deadspace is allowed. Use the plunger head to go up against!
Posted Image

Now, slip your Danco #9 Oring over the PETG barrel to the end of the plunger tube. This helps the seal and mobility of the barrel.
Posted Image

Now, we need to make sure the barrel doesn't move while you're falling/crushing/using a holster. Wrap Etape several times till it fits tightly into the STF Shell.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, goop your barrel into the plunger tube.
Posted Image

For the spring to fit, we need cut one of the spring rests off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

------------------
Dowel/Ram Rod addition
------------------

My dowel is small enough to fit into Thick Walled PETG, but I don't know the exact size. Anything works, really. We want to cut it at 3" (Don't pay attention to the black mark, the dowel was off center)
Posted Image

Take your hacksaw and start cutting! Here is your final result:
Posted Image

Edited by Merzlin, 29 July 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#3 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

You want to start wrapping etape around here:
Posted Image

You should have 2" dowel room.
Posted Image

Now, you need something that you can slip the dowel into so it won't fall out. I used a spring, for example. Super glue it into the shell. This is in the top center dart holder.
Posted Image

Now, we need the other dart holders to hold our darts, but so we can still get them out! I took hotglue and made a couple dabs so the stefan wouldn't get past. This is the holder(s) I'm talking about.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The last thing we need to do is dremel out the orange piece so our barrel can fit through.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Screw 'er back up and you have a beast!
Posted Image

#4 Vengeful Waffle

Vengeful Waffle

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Very nice mod, Merz. Do you think a coupler would fit nicely inside the STF shell?
I'm a runner, and I like to run.

[18:46] <+Famine> With the cock ring coming out the back of it?

#5 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

The dowel trick is great.
That's one hell of a spring you put in there. Maybe some metal panel reinforcements there would be a good way to keep it from breaking itself. How effective is it now? ranges vs stock.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#6 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

I believe this will be opened again for some reinforcement, it's quite strong.

Ranges
73' 9"
74' 10"
76' 7"
77' 2"
79 3"
I honestly don't know stock ranges, but they're near/less than a stock Nite Finder

All shots where at level ground, no wind, and recorded. This thing is beastly, I love these things.

As for couplers, CPVC would fit, PVC might not. I haven't looked too closely, but I'm sure its possible.

Edited by Merzlin, 29 July 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#7 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Mad props on the write-up: I’m half in the bag and didn’t read one word and I could now do this mod.

Bonus points for excessive e-tape. Just cuz.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#8 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

Thanks, I tried to make as easy as possible for the user.

Heh, Etape just seemed convenient to me. I used a segment of CPVC for my second STF, it works the same. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

#9 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Couldn't you use PVC as a barrel sheath to stabilize the barrel instead of the e-tape.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#10 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Unless you want to do a ton of unnecessary dremeling, sure. I found it would be quite a waste of time when you could just use E-tape.

EDIT: My mistake, ETAPE is is about the same/if not the same weight (In this application) as the PVC would be.

So if you feel PVC would be better, go ahead! I would love to see that implemented.

Edited by Merzlin, 30 July 2009 - 05:57 PM.

#11 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

How do you keep the darts from vacuum loading into the plunger tube?

#12 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

My darts don't vacuum load, thus the dowel. I imagine if you have an even better seal and dart fit, you could get a vacuum load, but I don't. You could drill a hole through the PETG and stick some piano wire through and glue it.

#13 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

This is really cool Mez, nice job. Have you reinforced the plunger rod yet? If not--do you think it needs to be with that spring addition?
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#14 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Heh, Thanks. I imagine it'd help a lot, and with this spring, it will probably need some reinforcement. I have to say, the catch is extremely beastly, probably the only part not needing reinforcement. Time will show, though.

#15 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

Heh, Thanks. I imagine it'd help a lot, and with this spring, it will probably need some reinforcement. I have to say, the catch is extremely beastly, probably the only part not needing reinforcement. Time will show, though.

Yeah, thats the problem modding blasters that are so new to be released: If you break something tring to experiment and push the limits, you really can't just post a WTB in the trading forum and expect someone to have a replacement for you. I guess it's good they are coming 2 to a pack now, huh? Again--nice work.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#16 hockeyfights118

hockeyfights118

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

Great mod, does the gun have two barrels, or is that just a dart holder?
I love nerf.

QUOTE(Poseidon @ Oct 2 2009, 05:28 PM)

Stalk... do you mean "stock" or are we talking about corn now?

#17 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

Great mod, does the gun have two barrels, or is that just a dart holder?

It is a single barrelled.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#18 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. Is there a way to order #49 springs from ACE online, because there is no store near me and neither the Lowes nor Home Depot carry springs? I tried searching, but nothing came up on ACE's website. Any help would be most appreciated.

Also, great mod I plan on doing this when I get my hands on some Stormfires.

#19 yahman1254

yahman1254

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

That doesn't have much to do with this mod, but anyway, no I don't know if you can order hardware of that sort from their website. I am sure someone here on the haven would be willing to sell you one.

#20 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Ya, I don't believe they sell individual springs online, but I'd be happy to send you a few.

#21 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

How hard would a 2x plunger tube be, while still keeping the slide?

#22 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

I sell springs.......check my e-bay store....Thanks, Later. Mod

#23 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Alright I just wanted to say that this is a sweet mod to this gun.

It is a very, very easy to follow writeup and it will be easy to replicate.

What darts are you using that causes it not to vaccuum(sp)?

Also for the dowell would you be able to make the dowell longer and still fit in the shell without having to much
excess coming out the front, and, or without having to cut into the inside of the shell?

Considering the fact that I am going to be using darts shorter than 2", (1 1/4").

Also are there any common materials, (besides a specific spring) that you could use for the dowell, or would
you have to use a different sized dowell?

Once again very nice mod, and those ranges are great.

The Nitefinder has been defeated!
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#24 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Heh, first, thanks. This thing is incredibly good, and in my eyes defeats a NF cosmetically. Power wise, I'm sure you can squeeze more plunger draw out of a NF, but who knows.

I use fairly thin darts that have a glove fit, so air gets around it. Not really ideal.

As for the dowel, there is plenty more room without any cutting or grinding. I use 1 3/4" darts, so I only need a dowel that long.

For common materials, use your imagination! I picked a dowel because I found something that would fit. A smaller size brass would be ideal (7/16th) and then you can have a larger size coupler that size. This step can be customized to the users preference.

Again, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users