for the past 8 months

36 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Compared to the original bike how does it handle?

I have no idea since I never really rode this with a gas engine.
Acceleration is much weaker (to be expected from a 2hp motor) but the ride is much smoother since you don't have the vibration of the 250cc engine.

You know, pimp it out?

No.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 July 2009 - 03:23 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

You know, pimp it out?

No.

Aw man, that would've made this the best off topic thread since that guy's tarantula. No, I never said this wasn't better.

#28 madmax

madmax

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

[/quote]
Acceleration is much weaker (to be expected from a 2hp motor) but the ride is much smoother since you don't have the vibration of the 250cc engine.
[/quote]

Smooth ride is always good. When the dirt bikes we have kick the bucket, ill see if my parents will let me build a kickass electric bike out of one of them.
Tech Target Breech
Zues Bottom of page

Trespassers will be used for scientific experiments

DAMN! I just lost the game...

#29 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I'm a huge fan of the electric bikes. You did a great conversion CS.

Have you seen some of the electric bike stuff that is coming out of Austraila? With a small Lithium pack and brushless hub motors they can get speeds up to 50mph with about a 40 mile range. The battery is small enough (about a 12 pack of soda) that you can take it inside with you and charge it.

#30 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

I'm a huge fan of the electric bikes. You did a great conversion CS.

Have you seen some of the electric bike stuff that is coming out of Austraila? With a small Lithium pack and brushless hub motors they can get speeds up to 50mph with about a 40 mile range. The battery is small enough (about a 12 pack of soda) that you can take it inside with you and charge it.

50mph top speed and 40 mile range would require a 2.5kw pack or larger. Such a pack is not going to be as easy to tote around or swap as you're thinking since it will weigh between 40 and 80 pounds. I'm also not really aware of any coming out of Australia. Most are manufactured in China (then drop-shipped or rebadged elsewhere), Germany, or stateside.

I have been following R/C Outrunner builds which can result in sub-70lb downhill bikes capable of 40mph top speeds. But they get really expensive really quickly and are still very experimental.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 31 July 2009 - 12:35 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#31 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Very nice and very unique as always. My hotrod side complains about 2 hp, but my logic side remembers the instant-on torque. Lithium batteries would offer a definite range and weight advantage, but, as stated, are still crazy expensive. Have you gotten around to testing performance yet? 0-25?
We have no sig.

#32 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Very nice and very unique as always. My hotrod side complains about 2 hp, but my logic side remembers the instant-on torque. Lithium batteries would offer a definite range and weight advantage, but, as stated, are still crazy expensive. Have you gotten around to testing performance yet? 0-25?

The younger of you two is the hotrod side right?

Slug, you are an inspiration. In these times of economic downfall, we can always count on you to come up with something cool, and really practical. I love it.

Although, like Nerf Bros, my power hungry ego is upset, my somewhat rational brain is happy. I like it. You gonna make a transforming version.

Edited by BustaNinja, 31 July 2009 - 09:15 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#33 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Installed a blower fan to keep the motor from overheating.
Posted Image
Posted Image
And a chain pad to reduce friction.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Is there anything you can't build Slug? I mean seriously, now I'm waiting to see if yuo can recreate a working (and transforming) RC truck Decepticon from Transformers 2. Actually, I'm wondering why the U.S. Government hasn't hunted you down to create a good electric engine capable of taking a car hundreds of miles.

Seriously though, this is a kick-ass machine. If my friend still had his Razor chopper, I'd try something like this.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#35 DartzDude

DartzDude

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

This is a beast you simply pimped that out, very nice Slug! :lol:
When life gives you burrito's, you simply devour them!

#36 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

The hard part is done. Now I just have to do some practical testing and foolproofing so I know what its practical limits are in terms of weight, range, and peak acceleration.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Before I can do acceleration tests I'll have to replace the wiring on the battery pack with a much larger size. If I'm too playful with the throttle the motor/controller can easily trip the 50amp circuit breaker, which is there to protect the current wiring from failure.

#37 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

I had significant overheating issues with the single 1200 watt motor so I spent the past month or so switch it out for a pair of geared 600 watt motors.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I will be recording a video of it running some time this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users