Rebarrelling Buzzbee Belt Blaster Shells

Should work on any BB shells.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

I've seen few attempts at modding the Belt Blaster, and even fewer that focus on the shells, so I thought since I actually pulled it off successfully, I'd make this my first real write up. Apologies in advance for the blurriness of some of the pictures.

First of all. Don't do this.

Posted Image

Cutting off the front removes a ridge that is needed for the chain to feed properly. Thankfully I only made this mistake once, and as long as good shells are on either side of it in the chain, this shell still feeds and fires properly.

Now on to actual modding. Here we have one of those tricky bastards.

Posted Image

If you look very closely at the base you'll see a small ridge where there is a cap glued into place on the inside of the shell. Start by making a small cut along that ridge.

Posted Image

It only needs to be deep enough to give you something to dig into. Now insert the point of a knife into that cut and using very light pressure work the knife in.

Posted Image

Remember LIGHT pressure. When the plastic gives it will give suddenly. I have a stab wound on my left hand to prove it. Just work at it gradually until your knife slides in. I'd really advise using a smaller knife than the one I'm using. This is pretty dangerous.

Posted Image

Once the knife is in start sliding it around the edge to cut the cap off. You don't need to make a straight cut, in fact you'll probably slip and go from cutting under the ridge to over it. that's not a bad thing, in fact it will probably make things faster, and help you line the cap up when you're putting it back.

Posted Image

Behold. Ye olde guts. Look how much dead space that AR created, almost an inch. With that cockblocking bastard out of the way, you can get your darts further in, use steffans, or streamlines. Yours will look slightly different from mine if you're going from stock shells. I drilled out the pegs earlier.

Posted Image

Now you can cut the entire peg off down to the base. I'd aslo advise carving that hole out wider. (also done previously), and you should have this nice clean cap with nothing sticking out.

Posted Image

Now measure out some CPVC or barrel material of choice, put some hot glue around the end that will face the front of the shell. and pus it as far in as it will go. The glue around the front should be thick so it can smear around the inside and fill in to make a better seal.

Posted Image

Lastly put a ring of glue around the back of the pipe and pop the cap back on, push down hard to get it all the way down, remove any extra glue, smooth out the edges and you're done.

Posted Image

Now just do it 29 more times and you have a full chain. I'd advise setting up an assembly line process to make it quicker. Cutting out all your barrels ahead of time will make things much easier.

Posted Image

And there you have it. Go shoot some zombies.

#2 mountain nerfer

mountain nerfer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

Nice mod, what kind of ranges are you getting.
---
Make something idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#3 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Ranges right now are inconsistent, but they've gone up to 52' so far. However the gun its self is also modded with a nitefinder spring and a PVC barrel. I think the barrel is causing the inconsistencies. This is more of a general mod for all buzzbee shells so ranges will vary according to the gun you use.

#4 dubcwill

dubcwill

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Your pictures are really killing me, but other than that I like it.
He's my slave. Or he will be. I promise when I take over youtube, I will enslave Uni13. That is all. DBNF

#5 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Christ, the pictures look they came out of some Bigfoot conspiracy theory. I like Belt blasters, and I wish they were more popular. I really hate Hasbro's new N-strike aesthetics, and I like the more space age design of Buzz Bee. Nice mod though. I was wondering if it was possible to make the belt move with a Magstrike/RF20 bladder.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#6 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Did you add the nitefinder spring into the stock plunger? Did you have to do any mods to get it to work?

#7 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

how do you get the belt from coming apart?
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#8 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:30 AM

Sorry about the blurry pics. I had to turn the flash off because they were coming out overexposed in my workspace. The pics that are clear are those I moved out of the workspace into a darker area with flash.

To answer the questions. I doubt an air gun could rotate the belt without serious work. If you check some of the other belt blaster writups you'll see that it rotates much like a firefly with a piece sliding through a gear with the same stroke you prime with.

To get a nitefinder spring in you'll have to cut it down a bit. It took a lot of experimentation and I only gained slightly more power for all the work. Since the NF has more coils than the Belt Blaster spring it's longer when compressed so I had to cut it shorter, then stretch it. Though the gauge of wire in the spring is also thicker than the belt blaster so even after doing this it is just slightly stronger. I wouldn't recommend it, it's more work than you'll get in return. To get to the spring you'll have to pry out a metal pin. A flathead screwdriver should do it, similar to the way you remove a Maverick Cylinder.

My belt doesn't come apart easily. There's probably some quality control issues with buzzbee products but I got a pretty solid belt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users