Photo

Homemade Pas Trigger

15 replies to this topic

#1 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

Since many people's PAS triggers have been breaking from stress, and it can be difficult to adequately reinforce the trigger, I thought I'd post a writeup showing how to make one using PVC. The first one that I made was created using a soldering iron, a hacksaw, and a drill.

Materials required:

1-1/2" PVC/ 1/4" Polycarbonate
Kitchen Stove/Heat gun/Soldering iron
Dremel/Hacksaw/Scroll saw
Drill
Rod/Nail
Pliers

Skip to step five if you have 1/4" polycarbonate.

Posted Image

Cut 2.5" off your PVC tube.

Posted Image

Cut your tube segment in half.

Posted Image

Take the segment you have and either throw it into boiling water or use a heat gun if your parents are unwilling to let you use their kitchen stove. If you have neither, you can rub a soldering iron across the segment of PVC and gradually flatten the PVC. Use pliers to hold the PVC while rubbing it. If you are using as soldering iron, be sure to do this in a ventilated room, such as a garage.

Posted Image

Once completely flattened, your part should look something like this.

Posted Image

Take your stock trigger and trace alongside the edges onto your flattened PVC. Cut along the lines you traced. Drill a hole where the trigger catch used to rest and drive a nail with a slightly larger diameter into the hole. Doing so ensures that the nail will not slide.

Posted Image

Place your newly created trigger back into your PAS.

Comments? Questions?

Edited by Homestarune, 28 July 2009 - 09:04 AM.

We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#2 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Take the segment you have and either throw it into boiling water or use a heat gun if your parents are unwilling to let you use their kitchen stove. If you have neither, you can rub a soldering iron across the segment of PVC and gradually flatten the PVC. Use pliers to hold the PVC while rubbing it.

Dose fumes make ya trippin'! But seriously, does that release as much toxic crap as you would think?

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

Sweet, nice PVC trigger. Thanks for giving me the idea over IRC, it really saved my life (or another 20 bucks). I made mine out of 1/8" polycarb (2 pieces are glued together so that most of the trigger is a 1/4" thick).
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by TantumBull, 28 July 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#4 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Take the segment you have and either throw it into boiling water or use a heat gun if your parents are unwilling to let you use their kitchen stove. If you have neither, you can rub a soldering iron across the segment of PVC and gradually flatten the PVC. Use pliers to hold the PVC while rubbing it.

Dose fumes make ya trippin'! But seriously, does that release as much toxic crap as you would think?

Yes, if you use a soldering iron, which is what I did for the first trigger. Only do it in a room with ventilation.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#5 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Why not just buy a large pvc end-cap, trace the trigger twice, cut sand and glue them together and voila, no need for toxic fumes.

Or use TantumBull's method..........

Edited by pjotrkuh, 28 July 2009 - 11:00 AM.

When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#6 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

Good job, Home.

And why the fuck are some of you complaining about fumes? Just hold your breath and suck it up...damn.

Edited by A side of nerf, 28 July 2009 - 03:49 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#7 CoasterDynamix757

CoasterDynamix757

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Well put ASON.

Good concept. Not the cleanest, but it doesn't matter as long as it works.
Is it fear or courage that compels you?

Coaster's Everything Thread.

#8 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

You guys could probably clean up the edges with a flat file and a half-round file.

Also, there is a place for posting trigger designs. Look it up in the stickied threads under the homemade section.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

You guys could probably clean up the edges with a flat file and a half-round file.

Also, there is a place for posting trigger designs. Look it up in the stickied threads under the homemade section.

So what, you wanted us to post a design of the trigger we made in your cool, stickied little thread? This trigger has already been designed by ERTL, look at a PAS if you want to know the design. Plus, last time I checked, the only triggers posted in that thread are for homemades, which the PAS is far from.

Edit: Homestar would like credit for the inspiration to make a homemade trigger. It is true that he told me that he made a working one from PVC which gave me the idea to do one out of polycarb, however, this was the extent of the help I received. This isn't an attack at you homestar, I'm just giving you the credit that was necessary (which it was, I'm still grateful that you gave me the idea) and at the same time making it clear the what you're getting credit for. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just being blunt. And definitely props on being the first.

2nd Edit, @ elf: My apologies if you didn't mean it the way it sounded. It just sounded like you felt the thread wasn't worthy and this should have been posted instead in the trigger thread.

Edited by TantumBull, 28 July 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#10 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

So please post all tigger ideas that YOU yourself have configured or thought up.

I don't claim credit for having invented the design, so I really don't see how this applies. Next time you have something to post in one of one of my threads please make it relevant.

#11 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

Wow guys, a little defensive?

I never said you were wrong for posting a thread, I thought your write up for this was quite well written. I just thought that you should also post it in a place where it will be easily viewable by people specifically looking to compare different trigger designs.

I did post something relevant Homestarune, I suggested that you could use a file to clean up the edges of your trigger.

And this could be posted under homemades seeing as it is a homemade trigger...

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 28 July 2009 - 10:12 PM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

The big question I have is, Is this replacement trigger stronger than the original?
Whether its done by pvc cpvc or polycarbonate.
Slug would know the answer. Where is Slug?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

The big question I have is, Is this replacement trigger stronger than the original?
Whether its done by pvc cpvc or polycarbonate.
Slug would know the answer. Where is Slug?

I know polycarb is stronger than ABS. And I'm pretty sure that PVC is as well. But yeah, Slug or Doom would know for sure. I may very well be wrong.

#14 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

I just took a hammer to this in my workshop. There is no structural damage. PVC is a far stronger plastic than ABS.

#15 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

I just took a hammer to this in my workshop. There is no structural damage. PVC is a far stronger plastic than ABS.

And there you have it folks! The science proves it!

#16 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

If I'm reading this right, I think you missed a step on tracing and cutting out the trigger.

But otherwise, this is a sweet idea. My friends PAS trigger snapped so I'll be sure to try this out for him.

EDIT - Wow, I'm retarded. I totally just read the whole write-up thinking that the words described the picture BELOW, not ABOVE. *facepalm*

No mistakes, just stupidity. Nice job.

Edited by ilzot, 29 July 2009 - 10:08 PM.

QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users