Photo

Stefan Help.

13 replies to this topic

#1 HiTech126

HiTech126

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

I have some 1/2" cpvc from Lowe's that I have used to rebarrel most of my guns with. My 1/2" stefans are to tight for the barrels. I can get them in but they are really tight and it takes a long time to do.(The FBR is from Ace Hardware). Would 3/8 foam work, or would it be to small? If that won't work, what will?

Also if one of my stefans hits a wall 20 ft or less away, the head falls off. What might be causing this?

#2 xbox180

xbox180

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

I have some 1/2" cpvc from Lowe's that I have used to rebarrel most of my guns with. My 1/2" stefans are to tight for the barrels. I can get them in but they are really tight and it takes a long time to do.(The FBR is from Ace Hardware). Would 3/8 foam work, or would it be to small? If that won't work, what will?

Also if one of my stefans hits a wall 20 ft or less away, the head falls off. What might be causing this?

You could try to pulling on the foam so gets thinner, also I"m guessing that your using #8 Washers, unless there slug style the tips will fall of, switch to 3/0 fishing weights.
"Congrats on Buy a Peice of Plastic thats most likely older than you, for half- a grand, your awesome man." Nerf Monkey

My Webpage
MY Youtube

#3 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

I believe that there is some stuff about this in the dart smithing tips forum.

I'm not sure why your dart heads could be falling off though.
Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

First rule of stefans: barrel your guns according to what kind of foam you intend to regularly buy, not the other way around. Since your guns are already barreled, check the trading thread and buy from suppliers who say their foam fits CPVC. However, be warned that different sources of CPVC can be slightly different in size...thus the reasons why it's always better to make sure your foam fits before modding all your guns.

As far as the heads of your stefans: hard surfaces at close range tend to break darts. Shoot at something softer.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

First rule of stefans: barrel your guns according to what kind of foam you intend to regularly buy, not the other way around.

Well how about when where you buy changes their foam?
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

First rule of stefans: barrel your guns according to what kind of foam you intend to regularly buy, not the other way around.

Well how about when where you buy changes their foam?

That just happened to me. I rebarreled my guns. Mostly because I know my source is quite consistent. I've been using the same barrel size for almost three years, up until now.
Size change is also why it makes sense to lay in a good supply of foam once you find something that fits. Changes in size don't happen very often, but they can come as a surprise.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

Couplers also help.

#8 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

If your heads are faling off then you need to use more hot glue (for slugs) or put on more surface area (for domed ones)
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#9 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, Lowes used to have a nice dark gray foam that fit beautifully. Then they changed.

#10 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

I buy 1/2" foam and 1/2" CPVC from Lowes and the two work together perfectly. Their foam is a gray color and very light feeling (much lighter than normal darts). Next time buy both at the same place. For now try stretching your foam to thin it out, or failing that check that you didn't use too much hot glue in the heads.

If your current foam is just useless you can always find other uses for it. Padding guns, or Hey, weatherstrip your house.

#11 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

1. Their foam is a gray color and very light feeling (much lighter than normal darts).

2. Next time buy both at the same place.

1. What color gray? (light or dark)

2. I do buy my stuff both at Lowes. I get the light gray foam and the cheapest CPVC. The fit is a little too tight.

#12 HiTech126

HiTech126

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

I buy 1/2" foam and 1/2" CPVC from Lowes and the two work together perfectly. Their foam is a gray color and very light feeling (much lighter than normal darts). Next time buy both at the same place. For now try stretching your foam to thin it out, or failing that check that you didn't use too much hot glue in the heads.

Thank you Vinnie for telling me about Lowes foam. The stuff you were talking about works perfectly in their CPVC. :D

Edit: The foam is light gray.

Edited by HiTech126, 25 July 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#13 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

I use 1/2'' cpvc from OSH, and my 1/2'' stefans fit amazingly. So, try going to OSH nest time, might help. Also, this may help your tip problem: Try making stefans with air soft bbs. They work beautifully for me.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#14 iMod1

iMod1

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Because most FBR doesn't work for my CPVC, I just use streamline darts hotglued with BB's and cut down to size. Nice consistent, snug fit.
-iMod
A computer once beat me at chess, but after that it was no match for me at kick boxing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users