Buna N Vs. Fluorelastomer Seat

Difference?

5 replies to this topic

#1 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Ok, purchasing check valves from mcmaster. The above is an option when choosing an 1/8" nylon check valve w/ barbed adaptors. I'm not sure of the difference. I found this, but that was in refference to o-rings. Can anyone offer some help?
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#2 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

Get either, it doesn't really matter. Assuming you're using the check valves to check air for Nerf purposes, of course. If you're shooting chemicals through for whatever reason, you might want to delve deeper into the properties of the two types. For air, they'll both be perfectly fine. Get the cheaper one.

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

I got the Viton one (or whichever one had chemical resistance) just in case silicone spray got into it from getting a tank to seal.

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Ok, purchasing check valves from mcmaster. The above is an option when choosing an 1/8" nylon check valve w/ barbed adaptors. I'm not sure of the difference. I found this, but that was in refference to o-rings. Can anyone offer some help?

The check valves have an o-ring in them that forms the seat for the ball bearing. (I'm assuming here that you're buying the standard check valve which is the spring-loaded ones).

So uh, reread Slug's post.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#5 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

The check valves have an o-ring in them that forms the seat for the ball bearing. (I'm assuming here that you're buying the standard check valve which is the spring-loaded ones).

Whoops...misread. Still important though, cause I'd like to know which of the two would be more chemically resistant. While Buna N is mentioned, Fluorelastomer is not.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#6 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

Whoops...misread. Still important though, cause I'd like to know which of the two would be more chemically resistant. While Buna N is mentioned, Fluorelastomer is not.

Viton is a brand of fluoroelastomer.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users