Don't get your hopes up...

59 replies to this topic

#26 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Well, this is disappointing. Perfect to stick some nitefinder internals into, though.

EDIT: there is a black bar running from the trigger that must actuate the rotating mechanism. No swappable clips...

Edited by CA13, 16 July 2009 - 05:35 PM.

Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

#27 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

It seems that replacing the maverick parts with something else would be the best thing you could do with this gun. Its kind of odd (but also so typical) that hasbro, has decided to reuse parts from some of its worse guns in some of the new ones.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#28 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Well, it's not going to ever be war viable in it's current state. It's just like the firefly: it's not big enough or powerful enough to be a primary nor is it small enough to be a side arm. Now for indoors it will be fun, just think how fun mavericks and recons are indoors. Get the ar's out of there and give it a better seal and it will be a great gun for indoor playing and cubicle warfare.

Edited by bogboogalars, 16 July 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#29 randomnerfninja

randomnerfninja

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

you could probably add an at2k tank to get respectable ranges.
Nerf brings everyone together until a dart hits somebody in the eye. Then the hospital trip brings everyone together again.

Proud Oklahoman NERFer.

#30 2iko

2iko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Wow, what a letdown, I wonder how the pump was staying halfway down its stroke in the original pics I saw.

Anyhow, I'm still definitely happy it's got a lot more room for integrations.

I have no sig so my posts cut off weird so I'm putting this here. XD

#31 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

No! What were they thinking? This is just terrible. I'm guessing the turret seal is at least better than a maverick, but hopefully it won't be so bad. But damn. A reverse plunger, even with all that space? Shameful...

Edited by Captain, 16 July 2009 - 09:45 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#32 Shwanky

Shwanky

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

I saw someone say it is the size of a maverick. It also holds more darts.

It may still be worth something.

You can reload four darts without turning the turret? That's not bad.

Are there any springs similar in size to that one? It looks rather small. Maybe around the size of a scout spring?

I really wish I had a stock maverick to compare those ranges to it.
I'm new to nerf but feel like I'm good at modding and at playing.

Currently modding every gun I can get my hands on.

Working on my own mod. I can't wait to finish and get the write-up...well written up. =)

#33 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

Mine gets about 20' unmodified using decent or better darts (meaning undamaged, unbent).

#34 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:23 PM

So basically there's absolutely no reason to ever buy this instead of a DTG? Noted.

This is fucking horrible. At least the Raider still looks decent.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#35 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

I'm so sick and tired of the whole "aww it's not a SM1K rerelease". We've known for nearly a month that this thing was going to be a springer, and with the popularity of the Maverick (in terms of overall sales, not just the niche that the NIC/modding community makes up) it's not a surprise that they'd copy the idea for the design for a dart tag blaster.

After months of speculation the fact that it's NOT a rerelease of a SM1K makes it "bad"? Please. Don't judge a blaster until YOU get your hands on one. Meaning you actually have one in YOUR hands. Don't take what someone says to be absolute truth.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#36 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

As far as I am aware the turret doesn't pop out mav style and the front isn't open like on a dtg. How difficult is reloading?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#37 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

Are all you guys seriously ignoring this?
Example.

I mean, come on. Stop complaining about a reverse plunger. You can change the source of power of the blaster fairly easily. Throw in a 2k chamber, something. I mean, it's really not something to get down over. No, it's not a 1k, so make it one. Jeez...
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#38 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

Example.

I mean, come on. Stop complaining about a reverse plunger. You can change the source of power of the blaster fairly easily. Throw in a 2k chamber, something. I mean, it's really not something to get down over. No, it's not a 1k, so make it one. Jeez...

Exactly. Because the rotating mech is turned by the trigger, replacing anything as the power source shouldn't be too hard. However, I don't think many people will want to buy the furyfire just to throw out half the internals.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#39 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

Example.

Exactly. Because the rotating mech is turned by the trigger, replacing anything as the power source shouldn't be too hard. However, I don't think many people will want to buy the furyfire just to throw out half the internals.

If you were to keep the pump action bit and replace the plunger tube, this things could be simply amazing. Also, a pump action 10-shot good looking secondary is great, even if it only shoots 40'-45'. Range is overrated anyway.

#40 nerfdude123

nerfdude123

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

I don't get why everyone is complaining. Yeah it's a maverick, but if you slap a 2K in there and replace the barrels (if possible put some 7 inchers on there) And you have a 65-foot 10-hot secondary.
I liked how you called me big meany head. I'll use that one next time Vacc calls me a faggot.

~ Talio

#41 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

I don't get why everyone is complaining. Yeah it's a maverick, but if you slap a 2K in there and replace the barrels (if possible put some 7 inchers on there) And you have a 65-foot 10-hot secondary.

Are you saying that because you have one and you've tried it? Internal swaps are rarely that simple. Othewise, everyone would be doing them (and using them).

Why haven't we seen similar things done to other turret blaters on a regular basis? Because they're difficult to pull off, require a boatload of patience, and expensive unless you have the parts just lying around.

Stop complaining about this blaster. It's not as bad as people say it is. Shoving an at2k tank in place of the spring internals is not as simple as it sounds (especially if you want it to be removable in the event that the tank fails). If you want to "speculate", wait a couple weeks for it to show up at Toys R Us or Target or wherever you get your blasters at retail.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#42 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

*Snip*

Edited by Galaxy613, 17 July 2009 - 10:13 AM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#43 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

No! What were they thinking? This is just terrible. I'm guessing the turret seal is at least better than a maverick, but hopefully it won't be so bad. But damn. A reverse plunger, even with all that space? Shameful...

The plunger tube to turret seal is better. Unlike the Maverick the spring comes fully extended to the rear of the shell, so it is constantly pushing the plunger tube against the back of the turret. I've removed the AR's already (a super smooth process so far) and I am attempting to use silicone sealant instead of cutting out the bases of the pegs like in a Maverick. I thought there was enough of a difference in that part of the turret to make that a feasible option, but so far it doesn't appear to be working.

As far as I am aware the turret doesn't pop out mav style and the front isn't open like on a dtg. How difficult is reloading?

The front is partially open. It's been said before that you can reload 4 darts at a time.

Longer barrels aren't going to work unless you extend the front of the gun, at which point you might as well use something else as the base.

Stop complaining about this blaster. It's not as bad as people say it is.

If you want to "speculate", wait a couple weeks for it to show up at Toys R Us or Target or wherever you get your blasters at retail.

If you think a Maverick is a good blaster, then the Furyfire is excellent. If you think the Maverick sucks, then the Furyfire sucks slightly less. That's pretty much all there is to it.

On a side note, to avoid confusion with the Firefly (FF) I propose we call the Furyfire the 'FU', since that's pretty much what a Maverick style plunger says to modders.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#44 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

What if you were to "manta" (stupid term, but it gets the message through) and put a PVC handle between the priming grips, so that way you reload them both with one prime, that with a plunger tube replacement and you have a 20-shot 50-foot-or-so plastic diddle machine!

#45 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

What if you were to "manta" (stupid term, but it gets the message through) and put a PVC handle between the priming grips, so that way you reload them both with one prime, that with a plunger tube replacement and you have a 20-shot 50-foot-or-so plastic diddle machine!

Yeah we have to keep positive and think of all the great ways to mod this gun, like the above ^^.

20 shots, 50 feet... That would be good!

Also reverse plungers can still be modded and this particular gun seems that it may be able to get a
spring replacement.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#46 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

I was just reading a write-up on a SM1K and i thought to myself, "Hey, this looks similar to that Furyfire thing thats coming out.. I wonder if it could have similar internals."

And then I find this thread.

That bullshit is getting replaced with a 2K tank and a pump. Really, Nerf?
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#47 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

I was just reading a write-up on a SM1K and i thought to myself, "Hey, this looks similar to that Furyfire thing thats coming out.. I wonder if it could have similar internals."

And then I find this thread.

That bullshit is getting replaced with a 2K tank and a pump. Really, Nerf?

Yeah really. Air Guns don't really make their way into today's Nerf market, as they decrease ROF and increase Priming time, while giving no boost to range when stock. Most of Hasbro's toys are left stock. We are the few people who go all out, and do stuff like this, so their doesn't need to be a ton of stuff catered to "nerfers".

Air guns simply aren't what the larger market wants. They want fast firing guns. You prime, and you fire. No pumping multiple times. We are use to it, and thus, want more of it, but it simply makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

Also, is that really such a bad thing that it wont become and overpowered air gun? I mean, its a pump action DTB. This thing will OWN at indoor or zombie type rounds.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#48 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

I'm not doing any official ranges tonight, but AR removal is way nicer then on a Maverick. No need to keep those little orange rings in, silicone sealant appears to be doing the trick.

If anybody else is opening theirs up, be careful not to stretch the trigger spring. It shouldn't be too hard to put another in, but it messes up the rotation of the turret.

Also, I discovered that holding the trigger down allows you to reload 6 barrels at once, which is a big step up.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#49 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

I gotta disagree with you, bustaninja. My splitfire got excellent range stock, (nerfcenter has excellent reviews of old guns, for those who didn't have the pleasure of playing with them). The air powered guns currently on the market have no advantage stock over springers, but in the days of larami, air guns got better range and accuracy than anything else. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

I do agree with you, however, that these should be excellent for indoors. I really wish I was still an undergraduate now, these would be a ton of fun in Stony Brook's dorms.

#50 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Yeah we have to keep positive and think of all the great ways to mod this gun, like the above ^^.

20 shots, 50 feet... That would be good!

Also reverse plungers can still be modded and this particular gun seems that it may be able to get a
spring replacement.

Also, think of this: take out turret, attach breech to fore grip, make breech accept LS clips, replace plunger tube.
Fixes turret rotation, reload time, and range... except then you could just use a different gun...
Oh no! *whips self* I wasn't thinking positive! Forgive me NIC!
But seriously, don't be a sourpuss. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users