Photo

How To Not Hurt Yourself. Must Read Before Modding A Firely.

How to not kill yourself.

20 replies to this topic

#1 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ok, for those of you who don't know, the Nerf Firefly REV-8 has a capacitor. This is a powerful electronic device that CAN HURT YOU. so if you mod a Firefly, use extreme caution and DO NOT TOUTCH THE ELECTRONICS.

I also ask the admins to pin this.

-Struck by stefan.

Edited by stuck by stefan, 15 July 2009 - 10:03 PM.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#2 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

Doesn't simply taking the batteries out of it solve this completely?

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#3 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have heard that a capacitor still holds a charge after taking the batteries out.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#4 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

That tiny capacitor isn't going to kill you. Maybe hurt you, but not kill you. Taking the batteries out and turning the switch on should get rid of any charge it may have had left. Don't blow this out of proportion. This is like saying that knives can kill you and then using a cloth dagger as an example of a deadly weapon.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#5 thedecimator

thedecimator

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

No because the cqpasiters can still carry charge for years.
But the firefly's batteries can't generate egnough amps to kill you only egnough to hurt you if you discharge it diectly into your pacemaker.
i got a night finder to go 300 ft.
then it smashed when it hit the pavement

#6 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

how about NOT putting batteries in it to begin with?

yes the firefly has a strobe that could possible shock the shit out of you.. so if you just dont fuck with the electronics you will be fine... I think you stand a better chance of getting pinned up than this topic though.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

I've charged the capacitor for the strobe and made the contact using my hands. Sometimes it tingled a little bit, but most of the time nothing happened. I highly doubt you'll kill yourself.

#8 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Actually, I once read a story about a man who electrocuted himself with a small battery. (no link, too tired to Google)

The trick was that while fooling around with connected wiring, he pierced both thumbs with the positive and negative contacts, TURNING HIS OWN BLOODSTREAM INTO A DIRECT LINK TO HIS BRAIN.

Ever see "The Green Mile?" That bit with the wet sponge under the headset of the electric chair? Blood is mostly water, water conducts electricity.

That said, Firefly electronics should be safe enough, unless you plan on wiring it to your veins.

#9 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Um... I've licked it. Yes, licked it. Its not gonna kill you. It tingles, its like licking a 9 volt battery, nothing more. This does not deserve a sticky at all. Thats like wanting to sticky every topic in General Nerf that says

"Caution. Dremels can be dangerous"

Its redundant, and we already know the risks associated with our hobby... I'm pretty sure you stand a better chance of killing yourself with a fracturing cut-off wheel then the electronics of a children's toy.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#10 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

While I agree that its not deadly, I was hot glueing the strobe mech into a tachtical rail and using an ice cube to solidify the glue faster when I got my hands all wet. I continued with the project and ended up shocking my hand really bad. It was numb for like five minutes and hurt like hell for a half hour. Also, I'm curious, if people say that you can seriously shock yourself by touching something why would you lick it?
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#11 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

Um... I've licked it. Yes, licked it. Its not gonna kill you. It tingles, its like licking a 9 volt battery, nothing more. This does not deserve a sticky at all. Thats like wanting to sticky every topic in General Nerf that says

Its redundant, and we already know the risks associated with our hobby... I'm pretty sure you stand a better chance of killing yourself with a fracturing cut-off wheel then the electronics of a children's toy.

I've had cutting wheels break and slash me on the arms.
And burning plastic in my eye.
It hurts.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#12 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

Like everyone keeps saying, the shock will not hurt you. It can scare the shit out of you though. I have gotten shocked several times with the Firefly electronics while integration them. And I'm still here aren't I?

Unless you used a car battery instead of the AA's, it won't hurt you.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#13 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

OR.. or... ooooooooooooor... you can just wear gloves... I mean really your dealing with tools to begin with like dremils and drills! you should be wearing safety equipment to being with :(
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#14 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

I've had cutting wheels break and slash me on the arms.
And burning plastic in my eye.
It hurts.

I've had a cutting wheel hit me in the cheeck, a sanding bit in my fist, and metal shards in my eye.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#15 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

isn't it kinda obvious not to play around with the electronics? Most mods rarely involve electronics, so I just don't bother with them.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#16 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

I don't think that's how a capacitor works. You might be able to make it explode, but it wouldn't hold any more electricity.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#17 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

I don't think that's how a capacitor works. You might be able to make it explode, but it wouldn't hold any more electricity.

This is correct the capacitor can only hold so much charge and thus any more current and it would just explode.

#18 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

This is correct the capacitor can only hold so much charge and thus any more current and it would just explode.

This topic makes me sad. Unless you've taken at least an elementary physics course or actually work with circuits, chances are you don't know how they work. Capacitors are two parallel plates that can hold a maximum charge. Past that, the flow of current, and energy stops. Unless there is enough current to allow the charge to jump the gap between the two plates, in which case, it would simply function as part of the wire, allowing current to flow. No explosions. No magic voodoo.

I wish I could call time of death, but I don't have that power.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#19 Varsity

Varsity

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Do you assholes really think they'd put something that could kill you in a toy gun for children? Me my friend and brother were shocking each other for fun with the FF parts.

#20 Jumping Nacho

Jumping Nacho

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

It hasn't happened to me, but yes, it is a legitimate concern
"At that point I know it wasn't just a quest for survival, It was to catch 'em all. Every freakin' pokEmon out there!" - Ty Pickens

#21 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

What I said about the car battery was just to add emphasis to the fact that it can't hurt you.

And I did not know how a capacitor works until now.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users