Beerce

local brews

18 replies to this topic

#1 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

I’m 27, long been enjoying beers and when I travel I like to have the local stuff.

In Minnesota we have Grain Belt Premium, known as Primo in the home turf. What do you (21+’ers) have where you are?
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#2 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

A friends dad walked into O'gaaras pub in St. Paul, and when we were getting drinks, he told the waitress he wanted a Grain Belt because he hadn't had one in years. Upon drinking it, he looked at all of us, and then said "And I know why..."

True story.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#3 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

True story.

False. Lies and codswalup. Primo is eternal.
The Difference:

I do not play with guns.

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

You want a list of all the beers available in the Philly area? I'm not sure I know them all.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

You want a list of all the beers available in the Philly area? I'm not sure I know them all.

Just the one or two where if someone from out of town came to the bar you’d say “you have to try *insert beer name*, its local and awesome!”

If you don’t dig light beer Primo is not for you, but Surly is also MN brewed and very good.
The Difference:

I do not play with guns.

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

Im trying to remember the local brewery in Duluth, but the name isn't coming to me.

Also, just browse a brewing forum central to your area. There's bound to be people who would brew, and gladly share some with you, just to get their name out there. I know I have several local friends who could provide you with some wine, but I don't know alot of home brewers.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#7 KingBouyah

KingBouyah

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

If you live in a college town, find out who's in the food science program. There you're sure to find someone who brews something at home, or at least knows how.

#8 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Home brews are ass. It's such a precise science and almost no amateur gets it right. Everyone seems to know "this one guy" who does it and makes good stuff, but I've met about a hundred of "this one guy" and they all taste like a barrel of dicks marinaded in coors light.

Honestly, I used to have a big hard on for different kinds of beer, but these days I look for something that actually tastes like beer. Seems like special beers always taste like beer and something else. They have this flavor or that flavor, but at the end of the day, I just want something that tastes like beer that doesn't feel like lit kerosene going down my throat.

But if you're ever in Delaware hit up Stewart's Brewing Co.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Im trying to remember the local brewery in Duluth, but the name isn't coming to me.

Fitger's? I lived there for a few years.

Sprecher in Milwaukee makes some good stuff (Scotch Ale FTW), as well as Lakefront Brewery (Snake Chaser is a decent local stout). Speak not to me of Miller.

Also plenty of New Glarus brews around here, but that's closer to Madison. Their Fat Squirrel is good stuff, as well as Coffee Stout.

I went to school in Stevens Point, and have had my share of Point Special. Worth it on quarter tap night, but I don't much care for it. Point Bock was decent.

Edited by Carbon, 11 July 2009 - 08:02 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

Also plenty of New Glarus brews around here

I knew you'd come through :D
The Naked is great, as is Spotted Cow. I get when I go to Pepin.

Oh, and make that a barrel of dicks marinaded in pennies if they try to make an amber.
The Difference:

I do not play with guns.

#11 ggk

ggk

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

Dortmunder Gold by Great Lakes Brewery is pretty good, Nosferatu is also pretty good from the same people.
17:18 Snake51886 to those who hamp: you do not nerf well, you paintball poorly

#12 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

IF you ever end up in the very very small country in europe called, the Netherlands, order a Wieckse Witte, or if you end up down south, order a Palm, or a Leffe, the last one comes in three types: Leffe Blond, Leffe or Leffe Triple there are more.....

Offcourse try our more common beers to: Dommelsch(<= my home town brewery), Bavaria, Grolsch, Brand, Hoegaarden, Hertog Jan, and many more witch i can't remember...
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#13 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • State:British Columbia

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I know a small brewery in the poconos that make some decent booze, but i go with stella.
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#14 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Do we have to blow you to get the name of this brewery?

#15 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

Do we have to blow you to get the name of this brewery?

Maybe a month ban will loosen his lips......(just joking)
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

I mean, if you're in new york you can get pretty much any type of beer you like if you look hard enough. What you'll find more useful is a recomendation of WHERE you can find said beers. House of Brews is my favorite watering hole in the city (302 West 51st Street between 8th and 9th ave location is the only one I've frequented). I once told one of the many, very knowledgeble, Bartenders that they had the best selection of local and international beers in the city. He told me that there was one bar with better, but I was too inebriated to recall the name afterwards; this is as good as I can do for you. If you're looking for cheap beer and large breasted bar matrons, this is not the place. However, if you want a huge rotating selection of brews, half glass samples of whatever you like, frequent buybacks, and bar tenders that know more about the beer you're drinking than you'll ever know about your own children, give it a chance.

Now you'll probably go there and some new bar tender will suck. Oh well, I tried.

#17 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

In the greater Philadelphia area, you can always go with Lion's Head. Its a pretty decent pilsener, but the key bit is its cheap: about 15 bucks a case. Us college students swear by it, but it is still nice enough that you can bring it to a nicer get together.

For the people going up to the war near Kalamazoo, try out Bell's Brewery and buy an Oberon. Best wheat beer I have ever had, and it ranks up there with all-time favorite beers.

-Muttonchops
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#18 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

A bit off topic: in Minneapolis proper there are countless good places to get good beer. The best one I know of personally is Stub & Herbs on the University of Minnesota campus. Reece already covered the local variety.

Busta, what the hell are you doing in this thread :D

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 15 July 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#19 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

try out Bell's Brewery and buy an Oberon. Best wheat beer I have ever had, and it ranks up there with all-time favorite beers.

I have had the Oberon: not bad at all, I do like wheat.

A bit off topic: in Minneapolis proper there are countless good places to get good beer. The best one I know of personally is Stub & Herbs on the University of Minnesota campus.

St’erbs is a VERY good bar, but if you want a place on Campus that has amazing beer try Town Hall. They have a small brewery on site and you can get world class 9% cask ale for $2.50 (as of 2006).
The Difference:

I do not play with guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users