Industrial Velcro

Just a few questions

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hey guys I'm upgrading my BBB and I want to put a Gemini on the front as the handle. I have both the 3B and the Gemini done and I was thinking about attaching it with industrial strength velcro so that the two guns could detach from each other similar to AssasinNF's Longshot Back From the Dead. The problem is a priming a BBB over and over again takes a lot more force than priming a Spiderman gun. Alright now that I got that shitty introduction over here are my questions.

1) Will Industrial Velcro do the job?

2) If so, what is the best type to get?

3) Where can it be purchased?

Answers like figure it out on your own won't really be appreciated I already did like a half hour of research and couldn't find anything. Thanks.
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

No, it won't be strong enough. You can get industrial strength Velcro at Wal*Mart or Sam's Club.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

"No" being the short answer.
Actually, having used Industrial Grade Velcro, the velcro itself would stick together just fine, but you'd have some problems:
1) The glue side of the strips would not stick to the guns. You could fix this with some epoxy, _maybe_.
2) This velcro is TOUGH, almost permanent. It would take an excessive amount of force to pull both the guns apart.
3) If you did manage to get them apart, it will wear out pretty quickly, and seeing as you epoxied the the velcro to the guns, you wont be able to replace it.
Concept mods in works:
#1) Codename: The Negotiator
#2) Codename: XXXG-00W0
#3) Codename: Punisher

#4 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

I say use a rail system like split's, Velcro, of any kind, won't work.

#5 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Can you give me a link.

Join the Revolution

#6 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

I don't see how velcro wouldn't work. If you used something like McMaster #95005k811 and had about 4 sq. inches, the shear strength would be about 58 lbs., much greater than the applied force, and the peel strength would be about 3.6 lbs., easy enough to remove. The cycle life on that velcro is 3500, which means you could remove and reattach the Gemini 3500 times before you got to half strength. Furthermore, to attach the velcro to the blaster, you could drill small (~1/16") holes in the shells of both blasters and feed thin wire through the holes and the velcro backing.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#7 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the advise. I guess that I was looking in the wrong places before posting and after checking Mcmasters found that that was just what I needed. I already placed an order for some of the #95005k811. Thanks Darth Freyr. Since I already ordered some further posts will just be a waste of time as this topic should fall by the wayside now. Thanks again!

Edited by Bedhed117, 10 July 2009 - 09:56 PM.

Join the Revolution

#8 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

Never mind.

Edited by Banshee, 11 July 2009 - 12:05 AM.

Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#9 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

The velcro I used is "self-lock mushroom-head", like the stuff that can be found on Mcmaster. It has ridiculous sheer strength - I probably could have attached a PAS to the side of my LS and it would've worked fine.

The velcro you ordered should work just fine as long as you use an adequate sufface-area, and secure it well to each gun. With all industrial strength velcroes I've used, the weak link has been the adhesive backing. Darth Freyr's got the right idea.

this topic should fall by the wayside now.

Not just yet :P

I'm very interested in how you went about making your Gemini... (particularly the trigger) did you follow my write-up or did you come up with a more reliable design? There's definitely room for improvement on mine.

Good luck with your guns. I look forward to seeing how this setup turns out.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users