I Call It... The Predator.

Picture heavy

28 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

Before we get started, I am fully aware that there is a Paint Job and Modification picture thread, but being the attention whore that I am, and this begin a cosmetic mod I have never seen done before, I felt it deserved its own thread. If you feel otherwise, there is no need for flaming, just let me know for next time.

Anyways! What is this you might ask yourself???

Posted Image

Well with the lights on, I unveil my latest work of much bloodshed, "The Predator"!

Posted Image

This is in my opinion the sexiest gun I have ever seen. its massive and SCARY. Its a Titan with a CPVC barrel running down the inside of a LSFG attached to the front of the gun upside down. I did it upside down because the barrel lined up that way, it looked more natural, and it put all the screws on the same side due to the fact that the Titan screws seem to be on the opposite side from most guns. It also made it easier to integrate the SM3000 tank to the underside.

Posted Image

I hid it underneath the cocking handle of the LSFG, couplered it, and put the trigger out the back to the second handle making it VERY easy to fire. I have no internal pictures, but what I did becomes very obvious in this picture:

Posted Image

What I did was route the hose out the side where the pressure gauge was. I connected it to the same spot where the pressure gauge was so the pressure in the SM3K tank is virtually the same pressure as the titan itself except for the small hose and the small release valve hindering the air. The SM3K takes no extra pumps and only shoots about 30-40 feet less than the titan which gets normal 150'+ ranges.

In this picture you can also see the epoxy putty used to attach the two gun halves together. It could be cleaner, but I'm happy with it.

Posted Image

This is the view down the sight now and I think it makes the gun VERY easy to aim. I was able to shoot the propane tank on my grill from about 120' away in under 3 shots, all three landed withing 5 feet.

Posted Image

This is it's matching sidearm, a second generation nightfinder with an inline clip on top, gets about 50' with the stock spring and holds 4 darts.

Posted Image

This gun is pretty darn massive, with the pump out I measured it at 40 inches long, however it isn't any harder to wield than any other titan. I love this gun and its absolutely terrifying to look down the barrel of. Trust me, I loaned it out in a war and about pissed my self running.

So, let me know what you think, questions, comments, suggestions?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#2 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

Nice, very aesthetically pleasing. One thing I'm not clear of, though. Is there a check valve between the 2k tank and the titan tank? You didn't mention one. So does shooting the 3k tank also drain the titan tank? What was the purpose of the 3k tank then?

#3 t2heavy

t2heavy

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

NICE
The CS 35 comes kitted out with a rotating drum holding 35 suction darts. Yes, you read that right.I

#4 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

Nice, very aesthetically pleasing. One thing I'm not clear of, though. Is there a check valve between the 2k tank and the titan tank? You didn't mention one. So does shooting the 3k tank also drain the titan tank? What was the purpose of the 3k tank then?

There is no check valve, the idea was to have a second shot firing almost as far as the titan itself but no having to reload seeing as it could take as long as 40 seconds including pumping. A check valve is a good idea though, it would make it more versatile, I'll look into getting one, thanks!

#5 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Very nice cosmetic work, though I kinda wish you had sanded down some of those insignias before painting. The ones on the LSFG especially.

But then again I'm just being a nitpicky bastard. It does look quite ferocious. Major props.

Also I was going to name my next project the Predator, but you beat me to it.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#6 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Also I was going to name my next project the Predator, but you beat me to it.

Well then in that case, you can call it "The Prey". Haha, just kidding! Thanks for the compliment! I did sand the epoxy a little bit, but all I had was 800 grit, so I gave up trying... haha.

#7 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

Well then in that case, you can call it "The Prey".

I might call it "Extinction" just to spite you.

I did sand the epoxy a little bit, but all I had was 800 grit, so I gave up trying... haha.

I wasn't even aware that sandpaper came in 800-grit. The finest I have is 270.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#8 CrackerJak

CrackerJak

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

That is one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. Excellent idea putting the lsfg on the titan like that. It makes it look so much cooler.

#9 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

I did sand the epoxy a little bit, but all I had was 800 grit, so I gave up trying... haha.

I wasn't even aware that sandpaper came in 800-grit. The finest I have is 270.

Yeah, I got 2000 grit sandpaper I use just before polishing. I do a lot of car painting and I enjoy painting my guitars, so in order to get a mirror finish I sand the clear with 2k grit before buffing. Try it sometime!

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

There is no check valve, the idea was to have a second shot firing almost as far as the titan itself but no having to reload seeing as it could take as long as 40 seconds including pumping. A check valve is a good idea though, it would make it more versatile, I'll look into getting one, thanks!

Awesome, that sounds like it works well. You know what would be cool, is getting some sort of check valve that could be disengaged, so you could use it either way at the flip of a switch.

#11 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Awesome, that sounds like it works well. You know what would be cool, is getting some sort of check valve that could be disengaged, so you could use it either way at the flip of a switch.

I could use a 3 way switch with a ball valve style switch and reroute one of the 2 hoses with a check valve and the other without. I had the same idea, but the idea was to put that mechanism between the pump and the tanks, so I could fill the Titan with 20 pumps, and fill the SM3K with 1 or 2 pumps and still get 100' ranges out of it. But I couldn't find a selector valve. Anyone ever seen one before? A valve the goes from one path into two with a knob on top to choose paths?

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

A valve the goes from one path into two with a knob on top to choose paths?

I was recently trying to find the exact same thing for my sm1.5k for a set-up I had planned that I never went through with.

http://www.mcmaster....-valves/=2nwuxe

#13 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

Very cool idea. I wouldn't agree that it's the sexiest gun I've ever seen, but to each his own. It is still very, very nice looking. The only problem I have is with your lack of sanding and lame excuse. Low grit sandpaper is very cheap and easy to get, but, like Dizzy, I am very nitpicky about that stuff.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#14 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

Here's a thought, Call it Alien. You know so you get Alien, Predator, Extinction.
Nah that's a bad idea.

Great work, i didn't think the titan could get more Badass but you did it.
- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

#15 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

Very cool idea. I wouldn't agree that it's the sexiest gun I've ever seen, but to each his own. It is still very, very nice looking. The only problem I have is with your lack of sanding and lame excuse. Low grit sandpaper is very cheap and easy to get, but, like Dizzy, I am very nitpicky about that stuff.

Even if I had the right grit, which I do somewhere, I still probably wouldn't have done it, I think it looks fine, from 4 feet away I honestly can't even tell. I'm not worried about it. If you do a mod involving epoxying 2 guns together, sand the hell out of it, I just didn't feel like doing it. Maybe next time.

#16 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

Even if I had the right grit, which I do somewhere, I still probably wouldn't have done it, I think it looks fine, from 4 feet away I honestly can't even tell. I'm not worried about it. If you do a mod involving epoxying 2 guns together, sand the hell out of it, I just didn't feel like doing it. Maybe next time.

This might just be because I forge and know what it looks like, but generally gloppy glue looks like welded metal. Not this so much because it's been molded by hand, though.

#17 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

A very nice cosmetic job. Sandpaper would have been an improvement on the detail of the gun, but I think it is cool enough they way it is.
nice NF; I haven't seen many with an inline clip.

The glow in the first two pics is coming fromt the gun, right?

Edited by durka durka, 08 July 2009 - 11:45 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#18 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

A very nice cosmetic job. Sandpaper would have been an improvement on the detail of the gun, but I think it is cool enough they way it is.
nice NF; I haven't seen many with an inline clip.

The glow in the first two pics is coming fromt the gun, right?

No, its an LED light strip I set behind it, check the paint job thread, I posted pictures of two other guns using the same light a few hours ago.

#19 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Very, very nice work cosmetically.

You made the longshot look insane, and that's a nice little integration.

Seriously though I didn't notice the excess epoxy until I read the description and scrolled back to the picture.

Also very nice nitefinder.

Edited by white moonlight, 20 July 2009 - 10:48 AM.

On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#20 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

Your titan looks kind of similar to angel's titan. And can a nitefinder handle all the added dead space of the rscb?
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#21 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

A very nice job.
Can you put the name "The Predator" on the gun somewhere?

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

Do darts fired from the 3k clear the forward sight on your upside down LS attachment? It's likely an optical ilusion, but it looks like it would divert their trajectory.

#23 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

Seriously though I didn't notice hte excess epoxy until I read the description and scrolled back to the picture.

Same here. It looked very clean, very smooth. Great paintjob.
Fugly is a feature.

#24 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

It wasn't meant to be an insult or anything. I have done more than a few mods that involve either epoxying two guns (or two toys) together, and I do sand them and polish until it's as smooth as I can get it, but, like I said, that's just me because I am not easy to satisfy when it comes to my own stuff, and from a few feet away even, yours does look very good as is. The first picture looks like it's all one piece.

I must say that I am a bit let down, though, that the LED strip isn't mounted to the gun. It looks very cool with it there. Again, I'm not trying to insult you or your work at all because it's awesome. Just my two cents.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#25 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Do darts fired from the 3k clear the forward sight on your upside down LS attachment? It's likely an optical ilusion, but it looks like it would divert their trajectory.

I was waiting for someone to notice that. Its a optical illusion, but the weird thing is you can see it in person as well. Once you look down the barrel though its obviously not it the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users