Photo

Titan/magstrike Integration

The Black Tri-star (Picture Heavy) (Video)

48 replies to this topic

#1 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

Now you can hit your opponents with a Jet-Stream Attack!

Basically, this is two Magstrikes screwed/glued to the side of a Titan.

On a more advanced level, all three guns share the same air system, via a series of tubes and check valves, all powered by one bike pump in about 5 pumps. Equally, while each gun has its own trigger and air tank, both Magstrikes can be fired at once via the Titan’s secondary trigger.

This means you can hail fire 28 rounds (10 per Magstirke, and 8 in a scattergun Titan attachment) in literally just a few seconds, including priming assuming you have pre-loaded clips. Nifty, eh?

TheFinishedProduct

Video
Firing Demonstration Video

Believe it or not, it’s not even that hard to build and I am surprised that I hadn’t seen anything even remotely like this before (and I did go through every last page of results that came up when I searched for “Magstrike”).

=============
Supplies
=============

Here’s a basic diagram of the air system:

Posted Image

Titan’s tubing = ¼”
Magstrike tubing = 3/16” (of all the stupid sizes)

1) Ace air pump
2) ¼” barb to ¼” barb
3) ¼” tee
4) (Yes, I am missing a #4)
5) 1/4” to 3/16” check valve
6) 3/16” check valve
7) Magstrike airtank
8) 3/16” 3-way barbed tee
9) Magstrike trigger
10) Magstirke barrel
11) Air pressure gauge (what you use to attach this depends on where you put it)
12) Titan airtank
13) Titan trigger
14) 1” female-female threaded PVC adaptor

(In terms of guns, you’ll need 1 Titan and 3 Magstrikes)
(one Magstrike you will only be using the trigger mechanism, and not the shell)

- ~7ish feet of ¼” and 3/16” tubing
- Plastic epoxy or an equivalent
- Proper sized fittings to attach your pump to the tubing
- You’ll run across needing an adaptor here or there depending on where you run the tubing

=============
Start
=============

Note: since we’re cutting two Magstrikes, and one of mine is red and the other is yellow, the color from picture to picture may change, but you have to do the same thing to both Magstrikes anyway so don’t let color throw you off. I also painted all three blasters as I went, as it’s been raining on and off.

Start out by gutting all the guns. Take out everything. The only thing you can leave on the Titan if you want is that little catch thing on the right side that holds on the Scout. It can actually help hold the Magstrike in place while the positioning it.

While you’re at it, go ahead and cut off the pump and the gauge from the Titan, and the pump off the Magstrike. Leave as much tubing on the Magstrike’s bladder side as possible.

While you’re taking apart the Magstrike, you’ll notice the insanely dangerous looking air bladder system. In taking this apart, you’ll have to remove the clamps on the bladder (the little silver/gold screws), meaning there’s nothing holding it to the tubing anymore, so don’t try to “test” this till we get it clamped back down.

Posted Image

You can also take out the trigger guard on the Magstrike if you want.

Or do any of Angel’s mods EXCEPT plugging the overpressure release valve. We’ll need that.

Once you get everything out, screw the Magstrikes back together with just a couple screws. This will help hold them together while you cut the bottom of them off. By this, I mean cut off the tank housing, than cut along that pump housing’s paint line. Screwing them together will help you cut both sides evenly.

We are going to be using the tank housing later, so don’t cut it to ribbons!

This.

Posted Image

Into this

Posted Image

Get the two sides as even as possible. Note how I cut around that one screw at the base of the handle. This screw is pretty crucial to holding the bottom half of the shell together after you cut it, so make sure to leave it in!

On to the Titan. Shave down the old gauge mount so the Magstrike can sit level.

Posted Image

You can mount the bike pump facing however you want on the bottom, but the location isn’t very negotiable giving the tubing to come later. Cut the Hornet mounts off so the bottom is flush. Bear in mind we’ll be pushing down on the pump with a LOT of force, so the bottom of it will HAVE to touch the ground while pumping. We’ll deal with that when we mount it though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that we got most of the external cutting out of the way, let me explain WHY we did all that work.

At the front end of the Titan is a little ridge immediately after the N-Strike logo. This ridge is where the front end of the Magstirke sits. From that ridge, the back of the Magstrike rests between the second and third pair of fake “bolts” along the Titan’s pump housing.

Posted Image

Immediately behind the Magstrike is where the Magstrike’s air bladder will rest inside the original bladder housing, only tilted sideways. The housing will act as an overpressure release valve for the bladder, so you can safely fill your Titan tank to 60psi without blowing the bladders of the Magstrikes.

Posted Image

You can leave the housing hanging over the edge of the Titan, or you can extend the pump out a little bit so it’s flush. That’s more of a cosmetic thing, as the housing will be held firm by plenty of epoxy and a screw.

Alright. Take apart the Magstrikes again. Place in the firing mechanism and tubing, just as it was when you first took it apart.

Posted Image

Now drill a hole in the bladder housing to fit your screw. You’ll want it either at the front or back of the tank, so it doesn’t interfere with the bladder. Place in the screw and assemble the bladder over it. The nut will go on the inside of the Titan, but we’ll need an exact location before we drill a hole, so we’ll set that aside for now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We’re going to cut the tubing between the trigger and the barrel, and between the bladder and the trigger. We then re-join those sections with our 3/16” tees. We’ll then need to cut holes in the shell for these tees to poke through at.

Posted Image

While we’re cutting, drill the hole for the screw in the Magstrike pump housing.

Posted Image

Now is the time to take everything out again and paint the Magstrikes, and put them back together. Screw on the top shell as well to close the gun.

At the bladder, you’ll still have an empty tube that connected to the pump. Connect your 3/16” to ¼” check valve to this, so that the arrow points towards the bladder (in other words, so air can enter the bladder, but not escape).

Posted Image

The Magstrikes themselves are now finished!
Yes, MagstrikeS. You were doing all of this to both of them, right? ... Right?

(dont post yet)
EDIT 1: Video
EDIT 2: Topic title to comply with new forum standards.

Edited by SPV999, 18 July 2009 - 01:03 PM.

Concept mods in works:
#1) Codename: The Negotiator
#2) Codename: XXXG-00W0
#3) Codename: Punisher

#2 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

Now to start on the secondary trigger. First, locate the position of the trigger. I had to build up a little wall of hot glue (followed by epoxy) to raise the firing pin off the plastic to get it in line with the trigger.

Posted Image

The tubing coming out of the top of the pin should go up under the Titan air tank (you’ll need to make a couple cuts behind the trigger, and you may need a barb to connect extra tubing, depending) while the tubing at the bottom should go the inside Hornet clip, like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that we know where the Magstikes sit and where the tubing connectors need to be, we need to make them reach there. On the Titan, cut a hole where the check valve on the bladder is to enter the Titan shell. This will connect with our make-shift 4-way ¼” cross connector (made out of two 3-way ¼” tees as shown in the diagram).

Since we know where that hole is, cut a hole for the three Magstrike bolts as well.

Posted Image

Screw it down.

Posted Image

This is a good time to cut the hole for your pump tubing. The pump tubing will come up through the pump housing on the Titan. Cut out the area where the shoulder strap would click on and continued to cut a path through the web of plastic for the tubing to travel.

Posted Image

Since we wont fit the entire pump housing inside the Titan, measure it against your Magstrike bladder and cut it to size. Also, go ahead and put the ¼” tee on the Magstrike.

Posted Image

Back to the secondary trigger.
Attach a tee to the tubing coming under the Titan tank and cut holes for the tubing to reach the Magstrikes. It doesn’t really matter where the tubing comes out at, so long as it reaches the tee between the trigger and barrel on the Magstrike. I stretched mine to be near the ¼” tee back in the Titan pump housing.

Posted Image

Don’t forget the check valves! The tubing that came off the top of the trigger gets a valve that faces away from the tee, so air can escape the tubing but not get back in. That tubing that came off the bottom get a valve that faces toward the tee, so air can get in the tubing but not back out.

The tube that came off the top of the trigger connects to the tee between the Magstrike’s trigger and barrel. The one that comes off the bottom of the trigger connects to the tee between the Magstrikes bladder and trigger.

Posted Image

The only thing left is the simple task of connecting the Titan’s air tank and gauge. Tubing comes off the ¼” tees and into the Titan. It doesn’t need a check valve, because Titan tanks have built-in check valves. Neat, huh?

Posted Image

The gauge connects to the tank exactly where the original Titan gauge went. Where you place it on the shell is up to you. I linked mine up dead center on the top of the Titan’s shell.

Connect a length of tube to the 3/16” tee and the ¼” tee so they can go through the shell on the right when you put the two halves together. Also, connect some 1/4" tubing to come out the back to link your pump to.

At this point, you should have this:

Posted Image

Now on the right side, feed the tubes through your holes and clamp the two shells together. The ¼” tube to the Magstrike will probably need some kind of elbow to help bend the tube into the Magstrike tank, like so:

Posted Image

(the reason why my bladder is open is I had a leak at this point. I fixed it, but that’s what caused the tubing coming out the bottom of the Titan to be different in the finished product than what’s been shown so far)

Attach on your pump to the Hornet mount and lock down as well.

Posted Image

If your pump is not flush with the back of the Titan, you’ll need to extend it using PVC or something. If you don’t, you either wont be able to pump to max pressure, or you will break something trying.

Finally, couple your pump to the tube coming out the back,

Posted Image

and clamp the Titan pump housing over them. You'll need to epoxy it in place, since there's nothing else holding it in.

Oh, almost forgot, the female-female coupling on the Titan barrel. Cut out the Titan air baffling and screw on the 1” female threaded adaptor if you haven’t yet. Yes, it will actually screw on. Lock the threads on with some epoxy.

With this adaptor, you can build any barrel you want, from a a scatter gun, an arrow, a single shot micro, ballistic ball launcher, rocket launcher,, or even a sabot, and it’s completely interchangeable.

Micro: ½” CPVC
Arrow: ½” PVC
Scattergun: ½” CPVC inside 1 ½” PVC coupler
Ballistic Ball: 1 ¼” PVC coupler
Rocket: ¾” PVC male threaded coupler

And whats a DOM without that signature red camera light?

Posted Image

Ranges are both standard modded Titan and standard stock Magstrike.

I wrote this over about a month as I was making the gun, so I tried to proofread very carefully, but let me know if something doesnt make sense or needs clarification. :D

Now, flame away!
Or just comment. :D

Edited by SPV999, 06 July 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Concept mods in works:

#3 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Can we have a picture of the entire gun? All of these seem to be of parts of it.

EDIT: Oh, duh. Right there at the top. Oops.

Edited by wing'd man, 06 July 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#4 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

There are links in the first post...
But that's fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Concept mods in works:

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Holy fuckin shit. That is one kick ass gun.

#6 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

But that's fine.
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

That looks really awkward to hold, but it only takes 5 pumps?

On a more advanced level, all three guns share the same air system, via a series of tubes and check valves, all powered by one bike pump in about 5 pumps.

How hard is it to pump, and how heavy is it?

#7 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

But that's fine.
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

That looks really awkward to hold, but it only takes 5 pumps?

It actually feels just like a regular Titan. If you run the tubing right, it doesnt get in the way at all.

On a more advanced level, all three guns share the same air system, via a series of tubes and check valves, all powered by one bike pump in about 5 pumps.

How hard is it to pump, and how heavy is it?

It can get pretty hard to pump, which is why the pump end needs to extend past the end of the gun, so all the pressure of pumping is on the pump itself.

Weight, I'd say around that of a 1.5~2ish Vulcans. Heavy, but not over bearing. You're definitely not going anywhere fast though.
Concept mods in works:

#8 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

You're definitely not going anywhere fast though.

but with that much firepower its not like you'd have to retreat... just no rushing.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#9 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I like the gun, the paint and the name. Gundam FTW.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#10 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

When I look at that gun, one word comes to mind...
Insane.
Great job dude. I would never dare take on something as complicated as that, and I give you props for doing it. Also, it's nice that so long as you have a ton of darts, shotgun shells for the Titan, and clips, you'll be fine since you only have to pump it 5 times. I recommend putting some velcro holders for the shells though.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#11 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

That thing has to way a ton!

Very nice mod and it is very cleanly done.

What are the ranges of:

Magstrike 1
Magstrike 2
Titan

Also, those measurements for different projectiles is very helpful.
I will always refer back to this if I need to know what size barrel to use of I need to shoot an arrow, (you-
do mean the nerf kind right)?
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#12 catmods

catmods

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

That is amazing. Is the pump loose?
"Don't worry I'll just close it. Your gun sucks." - Talio

#13 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Judging from the Red Light and the form of the gun, I would have guessed that you were inspired by BSG's Cylon Raider.
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#14 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

That's one bad ass gun, but don't you think it's a little overkill to have 2 magstrikes? Aside from that it is cool and I like the paint job.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#15 SPV999

SPV999

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

When I look at that gun, one word comes to mind...
Insane.
Great job dude. I would never dare take on something as complicated as that, and I give you props for doing it.

It's actually not that hard at all.
The hardest part was figuring out what needed a check valve and what way it needed to face. The rest is simple Dremel finesse.

That thing has to way a ton!

Very nice mod and it is very cleanly done.

What are the ranges of:

Magstrike 1
Magstrike 2
Titan

Also, those measurements for different projectiles is very helpful.
I will always refer back to this if I need to know what size barrel to use of I need to shoot an arrow, (you-
do mean the nerf kind right)?

Yes... "Nerf" arrows... ;)
Anyway, as said, ranges are standard for the mods done.
Magstrikes: 20-30'
Titan (pic).

(picture is of another Titan of mine, but with the exact same modes, minus the Magstrikes, so ranges are identical, as the Magstrikes dont interfere with the Titan at all)

Arrows are actually really fun to shoot, if you've never done it from an air tank before.
As are ballistic balls.

That is amazing. Is the pump loose?

Nope. It's winched down right hard with two hose clamps spliced together (the two screws give added torque when tightening them down, but it loses it's round shape, which in this case doesnt matter)

Judging from the Red Light and the form of the gun, I would have guessed that you were inspired by BSG's Cylon Raider.

Never heard of it.

That's one bad ass gun, but don't you think it's a little overkill to have 2 magstrikes? Aside from that it is cool and I like the paint job.

Nonsense! If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERDOING!
Concept mods in works:

#16 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

That my friend, qualifies as a Beast. By far the most well thought out and unique integration I've ever seen. My money's on this bad boy as the Mod Contest winner. Great work!
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#17 fandango202

fandango202

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Oh my dear sweat buddah, that is fucking godly!!! =) Very intimidating the way you glued the guns together. I would think twice before rushing that thing even with my Angel breeched LS which has a titan integration. Very detailed writeup as well, good job dude!!
When jesus gives you lemons save the recipt.

#18 Zachfrog

Zachfrog

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Very nice. Love the paintjob, although it looks very front heavy. Other than that, great job.

Edited by Zachfrog, 06 July 2009 - 09:29 PM.

QUOTE(Lion @ Jun 11 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 11 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

They didn't have monitors in 1920.

They did, They just called them Windows back then though.

#19 Wisp

Wisp

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

That thing looks like a flying drone from some video game. That looks great, I'd hate to run into that in a way when I wasn't expecting it. Great work.

#20 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

That thing is gonna give me nightmares. I always loved air powered clusterfucks and this one is beautiful. Great work.

Edited by SaucyGanzalez, 06 July 2009 - 10:11 PM.

"Fuck it, ill use a hacksaw" ~ SaucyGanzalez

"Makin darts, eaten'....What ever this is" ~ UberKuhlMan

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

It looks awkward to aim, since the Magstrikes are pretty far from the center of the gun.

Otherwise, this is fucking amazing.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#22 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

It looks awkward to aim, since the Magstrikes are pretty far from the center of the gun.

Otherwise, this is fucking amazing.

With the scattershot and dual Magstrikes, I'm guessing spray'n'prey trumps marksmanship this round. Although if you angled the Magstrikes in a bit I could see this blaster being pretty useful in a "defend the core" round.

It looks pretty sweet as is though. Nice work.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#23 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Wow.

It's heavy, slow, short ranged, complicated, and inaccurate.

However, that gun would be the most fun to nerf with I've ever seen. Good job.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#24 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I don't think this thing was put together with war practicality in mind. It's just seomthing that would be a lot of fun for a defense round of some sort. Would I pour the time, effort, and plastic into such an endeavor...probably not, but that doesn't make this any less worthwhile if he enjoys it.

.....of course, gun hits usually count....

#25 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

Holy fuck, that's a huge chunk of sexy plastic.

I'd like to see a video of it at work.

Man, I thought you were just being a typical concept noob who gave some outlandish name to a clusterfuck of ideas. I guessed that when I saw the diagram. But no, you pulled it off and it looks sweet.

I do like that paintjob...

Nice job.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users