Double Shot Mod

no more shells or shitty ranges

31 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Alright so I dont like the ds when it uses those pesky shells so you know right now go into your garage and throw them all away right now heh thats you too :P . okay now to the mod. Oh and I forgot to tell yu this mod is very simple.

Materials
barrels type of your choice
dremel/copy saw/saw
hands
brain

okay now to the mod first open the ds

next take all the crap out except this stuff
Posted Image
basically trigger, plunger assembly, catch, and string
next take your plunger assembly thingy and cut off all the vinal crap then cut the nub off the plunger tubes.
then just to make sure to get the barrels strait I put hot glue in the indent thingy like so fill it up to the hole.
Posted Image
then just glue the barrels on the length of your dart like so
Posted Image
Posted Image
i hot glued then epoxy glued it on then they weren't strait so I put epoxy putty in bewteen the barrels when they were in a clamp like so
Posted Image
Posted Image
then I put a pvc stock and foregrip
Posted Image
sorry for the camera strap
Posted Image
yeah I use it sideways at waist height
general interanl pics

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
ranges are high 70 low 80 and streamlines hit like 90.
need any more pics or videos just ask.

questions?comments?flames?

#2 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

You're getting 90 with just a barrel replacement? Wow. Nice work!

Could you post a pic of the finished product, all in one pic?
Fugly is a feature.

#3 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:01 AM

Looks pretty good, this is just about exactly what I did to mine. You've convinced me that I need to put better barrels on it though, my Rose-Art ones only get about 50, and a jump to 70 or 80 is well worth it.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#4 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

All these pics confuse the hell outta me.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#5 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

That's because you're stupid.

Nice modification. How akward is it to prime? That's what seems to bug me about mine.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#6 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

You're getting 90 with just a barrel replacement? Wow. Nice work!

Could you post a pic of the finished product, all in one pic?

ask and you shall receive
Posted Image
oh and remeber those are with streamlines they go really far but extremely inaccurate.

That's because you're stupid.

Nice modification. How akward is it to prime? That's what seems to bug me about mine.

Meh its okay to prime not to awkward I like it.

#7 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

70, 80, and 90.

Are you sure you're not arching it or anything?

Also very nice mod, and are the first 2 ranges with like taggers, or sonic micro's.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#8 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

70, 80, and 90.

Are you sure you're not arching it or anything?

Also very nice mod, and are the first 2 ranges with like taggers, or sonic micro's.

well the gun has a nartural arch shot to it so its really hard to to get it flat and in a round I ain't going to hold it awkard to shoot it flat.

#9 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the full pic. What's the PVC on the rear for?

String priming, eh? Does it hurt your finger to prime it, or is the spring not that strong?

On an oddball note, if you see Ice9's BRISC, he's using a 45-degree tee. Maybe you can use one and cap the end. Adds a little deadspace, but allows you to fire flat so you have a better chance of hitting a close-in target? It's not that I mind lobbing foam, but at times it may be better to have a flat(ter) trajectory for close-in work, no?
Fugly is a feature.

#10 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the full pic. What's the PVC on the rear for?

String priming, eh? Does it hurt your finger to prime it, or is the spring not that strong?

On an oddball note, if you see Ice9's BRISC, he's using a 45-degree tee. Maybe you can use one and cap the end. Adds a little deadspace, but allows you to fire flat so you have a better chance of hitting a close-in target? It's not that I mind lobbing foam, but at times it may be better to have a flat(ter) trajectory for close-in work, no?

the pvc in the rear is coupler for the stock and its not to hard to prime. i would do that 45 degree thing but they are epoxy glueed and puttyied and hot glue it in so i cant really do that.

#11 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Sorry, but it's about time someone said this:

Bullshit

Pics of the ranges or it didn't happen.

No way just a barrel replacement can get those ranges.

The DS springs are weaker that an ACE 49 spring, and in a nf they max out about 60-70ft

#12 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have just finished this mod and I am happy with the results. I put 3.5'' CPVC barrels on mine and when I shove my 1.75'' stefans down them I get roughly 40+ feet. Some have landed past 45 feet. The stock plunger parts have a very good seal and the spring isn't that bad, so I guess if you halved all the ranges in the OP, it would make sense.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#13 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have just finished this mod and I am happy with the results. I put 3.5'' CPVC barrels on mine and when I shove my 1.75'' stefans down them I get roughly 40+ feet. Some have landed past 45 feet. The stock plunger parts have a very good seal and the spring isn't that bad, so I guess if you halved all the ranges in the OP, it would make sense.

Hmm. Doesn't quite seem worth it to me when with modded shells the gun can hit 30 feet. Plus you're removing the three coolest things about the gun: priming like a shotgun (break barrel), using shells like a shotgun, and having shell ejection.

#14 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

... you're removing the three coolest things about the gun: priming like a shotgun (break barrel), using shells like a shotgun, and having shell ejection.

Shell + shell ejection = big pain. They'll get lost, or broken. Even if you have a full complement, it doesn't look practical - you get as many shots out of it as you have shells, unless you plan on spending time retrieving them during the round.

I appreciate break open in that it makes the blaster a breech loader, albeit a slow one.

As for this one, I'm surprised at the reported ranges, hence my first repsonse. I'm not calling bullshit, but I'm not rushing out to buy one to replicate the mod, either. If it worked that way for him (and remember, the ranges are all arced, by his own admission) that's great. For me, the fact that it is awkward to fire flat makes it impractical - I'm not a Nerfing ghod that I can hit someone 90' away.
Fugly is a feature.

#15 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

Sorry, but it's about time someone said this:

Bullshit

Pics of the ranges or it didn't happen.

No way just a barrel replacement can get those ranges.

The DS springs are weaker that an ACE 49 spring, and in a nf they max out about 60-70ft

ask and you shalll recieve.
here
here

Hmm. Doesn't quite seem worth it to me when with modded shells the gun can hit 30 feet. Plus you're removing the three coolest things about the gun: priming like a shotgun (break barrel), using shells like a shotgun, and having shell ejection.

yeah well I knew this when i did the mod to my first broken one that wouldnt take shells and i liked it so much i did it better and cleaner to this one.

#16 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

....For me, the fact that it is awkward to fire flat makes it impractical

You could always put a new handle behind the trigger...

Posted Image

*Edit* I like, just put this togeather before I took that photo and I gotta say, boy is it comfy! I used 3/4'' PVC and a 3/4'' PVC Elbow. I can now easily aim with my large hands.

Edited by Galaxy613, 04 July 2009 - 07:23 PM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#17 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Links failed.

Not looking good....

#18 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Links failed.

Not looking good....

Alright let me try uploading this to youtube.

#19 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Links failed.

Not looking good....

Alright let me try uploading this to youtube.

Sorry, that sounded rude anyway.

I'm just still unconvinced that it can get those ranges. Physics should be kicking in by now....

#20 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

alright this better work if its to bad quality I will get a better vid tomorrow

here
here

#21 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Shell + shell ejection = big pain. They'll get lost, or broken. Even if you have a full complement, it doesn't look practical - you get as many shots out of it as you have shells, unless you plan on spending time retrieving them during the round.

Fuck practicality, I nerf with style! :D

Edited by TantumBull, 04 July 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#22 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Nobody actually cares whether firing it with the barrels horizontal in a war is practical. The only reason to do it for range testing is so that yours can be compared to others. Any angle at all negates all comparison. Hold the blaster sideways if you have to. I've modded a bunch of DSs, and twice I installed better tubing at the plunger tube outlet (in the curve which you completely eliminated), and those blasters performed better than any other DoubleShots I've seen. In my opinion, the ranges you will actually get may still be impressive enough without any angle or exaggeration.

Thank you for the idea of fireing it that way I will have to try that.

#23 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

In your video you angle your shots, and your tape measure isn't straight. That is why your ranges are that high.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#24 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

Well it wasn't easy to shoot it flat so the camera could see it and the tape measure wasn't strait beacsue there was a breeze that moved it. side ways a little bit so maybe subtract five feet at the most. and no the wind couln't help the darts.

#25 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

Well it wasn't easy to shoot it flat so the camera could see it and the tape measure wasn't strait beacsue there was a breeze that moved it. side ways a little bit so maybe subtract five feet at the most. and no the wind couln't help the darts.

Angling your blaster 30-45 degrees is going to add a lot more than just 5 feet.

This is why contest submissions shouldn't include ranges, everyone gets hung up on them and some contestants will clearly fudge the numbers to make their blaster seem more impressive, as I believe is the case here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users