american idle??

38 replies to this topic

#26 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:21 AM

Sad, but true.

Edited by Oroku_Saki, 08 March 2004 - 12:21 AM.

"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#27 ShatteredDreams

ShatteredDreams

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:26 AM

Sad, but true.

You said sad! You must be emo!
Anyways...that video was..interesting, but my funny bone wasn't tickled a bit.
"Diplomats are just as esential to starting a war, as soldiers are to finishing it."- Will Rogers.

#28 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:08 PM

Oops, my bad. hehe.

#29 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:57 PM

With all the modern day arguing and hype about emo, I'm starting to think it doesn't exist.

#30 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:12 PM

Alright, what the fuck is Emo already? As with most attempts to categorize music, there seem to be as many definitions of the genre as there are people discussing it.

I read the first dozen or so quasi-definitions that google turned up for me and the only common theme seems to be 'sad'. That and everyone hates Dashboard Confessional - I can't argue after hearing them at a festival last year.

I assume something like this might be Emo but I'm not really sure. Is Morrissey like the Godfather of Emo? Is Downtempo a subset of Emo now or does it require a suicidal lead vocalist to qualify? Can we retroactively apply the category to Miles Davis or would that be a temporal faux pas?

Reasonably serious answers appreciated since I really am curious.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#31 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:42 PM

Alright, what the fuck is Emo already? As with most attempts to categorize music, there seem to be as many definitions of the genre as there are people discussing it.

I read the first dozen or so quasi-definitions that google turned up for me and the only common theme seems to be 'sad'. That and everyone hates Dashboard Confessional - I can't argue after hearing them at a festival last year.

I assume something like this might be Emo but I'm not really sure. Is Morrissey like the Godfather of Emo? Is Downtempo a subset of Emo now or does it require a suicidal lead vocalist to qualify? Can we retroactively apply the category to Miles Davis or would that be a temporal faux pas?

Reasonably serious answers appreciated since I really am curious.

I think it's well known primarily because people use it to categorize bands that they don't like. However, it would be hypocritical of me were I not to admit to doing that myself.

I consider emo to be a guy whining about how his girlfriend dumped him and his mom took away his skateboard.

#32 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:28 PM

Well, I'd have to say that you people don't know much about Emo-core music. The scence is relatively new, as it is yet another subgenre to hardcore rock. Hardcore rock would be a band like Papa Roach or Chevelle, in my opinion. These Emo-core bands you speak of are hard to find. Finch, one is my favourite bands could be considered Emo-core, because it is hard music, chugging bass, guitars, a good vocalist, and some computer effects, with emotional lyrics. The things that Finch sings about and writes about are not always emotional songs, but you have to look at Rock in general... it is an emotional music genre. Finch has a song called Project Mayhem, one of my favourites, and the lyrics suggest an accidental creation a monster; nothing like the mold you throw Emo-core bands into. Bands like Cauterize are almost always writing about how a girl left them, but not all Emo-core bands are like that. Sure, they sing about break-ups, but so does AC/DC, Def Leppard, Metallica, Iron Maiden... they all do. Most Emo-core bands have meaningful lyrics, and a great vocalist who can convey the feelings through singing, and also screaming. Some vocalists can contrast the two perfectly, some can't. Emo music is just like any other music, a generalized category. You can't fit any band into the mold, because every band has a different style/twist that they throw into their music. I don't know, but Emo-core music isn't dead, it's evolving like the rest of music.

I hope that helps Cxwq understand a little better.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#33 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:53 PM

You want to see a quality video, then watch this: http://www.gamecubic...lashd/mario.swf

Wow, you're stupid.

But lets just give it to you that it's actually okay to think that's funny. Why do you?

Not to mention, that's anything but "quality".

#34 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:17 PM

i'm with ironman, i liked the dictionary across the head one.
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#35 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:43 PM

If you want to see something funny go to Homestarrunner.com.
That stuff is funny go to the "Lackey" email.
What would the robit do? Frame someone! -Futurama

I have 7 kids.
7!? Lady I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once and a while!-Groucho Marks(The End of Live TV)

#36 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

That's one of my favorite sites. SB and The Cheat kick ass!

Edited by Oroku_Saki, 16 March 2004 - 11:26 AM.

#37 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 11:41 AM

The Cheat kick ass!

And thinks pencil shavings are legal tender.
What would the robit do? Frame someone! -Futurama

I have 7 kids.
7!? Lady I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once and a while!-Groucho Marks(The End of Live TV)

#38 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

Interesting topic. First and foremost, both of those videos made me run to the washroom and voilently vomit into the toilet. Possibly the two stupidest things I've ever seen. If you want a funny video, check this out. This made me laugh for a good 15 minutes. This was also damned funny, but probably inappropriate for children under 13 and mormons alike.

As for emo, it's exactly what BW said. People often mistake emo for guys singing soft rock. This is not the case. More often than not, it's usually hardcore rock, dubbed down a tad, and given a great lyricist and vocalist. A great example of emo? Billy Talent. Unique style of emo, but emo nonetheless. Go to their site and listen to a couple tunes.
Spectre of the CFM

#39 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:22 PM

If you want to see something funny go to Homestarrunner.com.
That stuff is funny go to the "Lackey" email.

I have heard of that site and heard it was a funny site.
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users