Recon M4 Mod

Now with writeup!

16 replies to this topic

#1 wasdf

wasdf

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

Last week I noticed the amazing resemblance between the Recon and the M4. Also, I was tired of having a broken LS front gun lying around. I decided to mod it and post a writeup.

Materials

Nerf Recon CS-6 (All parts)
Front attachment of the Nerf Longshot CS-6
1 tube of Liquid Nails
3/4" ID regular PVC
Nerf Recon flip-up sight
1 can of black Krylon Camouflage Ultra Flat paint
Screwdriver
Ozark Trail Backpacking Strap (found in the camping isle of Walmart)
1" Forsner Bit
Drill or Dremel
Electrical Tape
1/2" PVC end cap

Step 1. Take apart and disassemble the Recon. Take all the parts out and unscrew the cocking mechanism.

Step 2. Take out the bolt and boltsled. Remove the AR with a drill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 3. Tape the little hole on bolt with electrical tape.

Posted Image

Step 4. Stretch the stock spring.

Posted Image

Step 5. Glue the PVC end cap onto the cocking mechanism.

Posted Image

Step 6 (optional). Drill out the center of the flip-up sight with the 1" Forsner bit or dremel.

Posted Image

Step 7. Here you can do 1 or both of these things.
You can either do step 6 and then glue a 6" piece of 3/4" PVC to the inside of the sight making a foregrip
or
Ignore step 6 and glue a flashlight to the body of the sight and make a removable flashlight.

Posted Image

Step 8. Dismantle front attachment of the Recon and remove the tube on the inside. Then glue the tube from the LS front attachment in place of the other tube.

Posted Image

Step 9. Glue the flip-up thing on the front attachment of the Recon to the up-right position.

Posted Image

Step 10. Remove the middle section of the Recon stock.

Posted Image

Step 11. Paint all of the outside parts (shell, foregrip, barrel attachment, stock, clips, trigger, cocking mechanism, clip releases.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 12. Reassemble the inner workings of the gun and screw everything back together.

Step 13 (optional) Tie the backpacking strap to the barrel and the back of the stock.

There you have it. Your own M4A1 look-alike. See the resemblance?

Posted Image

Posted Image
For a battle cry you gotta scream out "Feel the awesome power of my balls!"
~Chadpuff

#2 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Nice cosmetic work.

Why did you put the handle on the front though, because it doesn't have that in the picture.?

Also what are the ranges?

-100th post!
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

Great work. I could see this being an awesome mod for those who love getting shot by police!

#4 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

Please, for the love of God, put some orange on that gun!
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#5 wasdf

wasdf

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Nice cosmetic work.

Why did you put the handle on the front though, because it doesn't have that in the picture.?

Also what are the ranges?

-100th post!

Some M4/M16s have the handle on the rail

Posted Image
~Chadpuff

#6 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Nope, don't see it.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#7 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

Nice cosmetics. Now all you need is the carry grip thingy.

Whitemoonlight, He means the body of the gun, he just got a random picture of an m4 that didn't have a grip.

You have a bit of orange on the tip of the barrel, but maybe a bit on the trigger and the PVC end cap would help.

Posted Image
Now it looks like your gun, a bit of editing to the image was all you needed, so it does kinda resemble your mod.

Edited by Disturbed, 02 July 2009 - 01:44 PM.

If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#8 LNL plus LS equals WIN

LNL plus LS equals WIN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Why does every body make there recon look like a m4 carbine?
Jun 24 2009, 02:57 PM
MY ASS IS GLORIOUS!
VACC

QUOTE(CA13 @ Aug 15 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post

Ryan- Could you weigh the balls for extra oomph? Maybe cut one ball open (like a slit) and spread it so you could get some weights in there?

#9 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

I guess everyone has a favourite gun they want to emulate, and Nerf allows them to create their facsimile. Personally, I don't see a strong similarity, but that's me.

The evident purpose of this mod is to make the Recon look paramilitary, and it succeeds. It's also something I would not want to see in the street, park, schoolyard or other venue for fear of not just the wielder being put down by police, but also giving the rest of Nerf a bad name.

One final thought - I've found stretching a spring doesn't gain me much in the long run. Would like to hear your thoughts on same.
Fugly is a feature.

#10 wasdf

wasdf

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

I guess everyone has a favourite gun they want to emulate, and Nerf allows them to create their facsimile. Personally, I don't see a strong similarity, but that's me.

The evident purpose of this mod is to make the Recon look paramilitary, and it succeeds. It's also something I would not want to see in the street, park, schoolyard or other venue for fear of not just the wielder being put down by police, but also giving the rest of Nerf a bad name.

One final thought - I've found stretching a spring doesn't gain me much in the long run. Would like to hear your thoughts on same.

As the maker of the gun I have to agree. This gun should only be used in backyard nerf wars and never, ever be brought into public.
~Chadpuff

#11 ZACHARIAH

ZACHARIAH

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Awesome cosmetics! I think you should of left the trigger orange and made the barrel have a little more orange.
"When the pin is pulled Mr. grenade is not your friend." -US army training manual

#12 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Congratulations. You have just made a blaster that is unsafe to take outside.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#13 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

It depends on where he lives. In my hometown, nobody would give a second glance if I walked down the street with that gun.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#14 navyseal849

navyseal849

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

The recon is supposed to look like an M4, it even has the bottom tactical rail like on a real M4 and the light and a ladder sight thing. Nice mod, you should try and make all the other attachments for it! I normally don't like cosmetic mods but thats something. Did you see the "grenade launcher" attachment Darken posted? Its on the first page in modifications. I think its strange that in the past week there have been like five posts about M4 recons.
To stop yourself from having mood swings take a cyanide pill! Guaranteed to permanently prevent changes in your mood!
QUOTE(Hi Yah! @ Jun 28 2009, 07:45 AM) View Post

That thing is huge! You should get a leash for it.

#15 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

3 things

1. This is nothing original. It has been done before
Posted Image

2. Black blasters make baby jesus cry

3. This doesn't derserve a thread of its own. This is why we have a a mods and PJ's thread

#16 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Black blasters make baby jesus cry

So added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#17 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

You kids can't do anything right.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users