Nerf Land Mine

9 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:18 PM

So I've been bouncing this idea around in my head for a few days, and it seems to me to be a fairly practical. The idea is to create a close proximity land mine that can be operated by either a trip wire or remotly by an electric switch.

What it boils down to on paper is a modification to Cxwq's BAMF or similar large air tank solenoid home made design.

The principle difference is that instead of one long range barrel the mine would have a cluster of barrels set in a pattern that spreads their fire in either a wide angle or a circular pattern. I can see this modification being achived either by use of T's and elbows connecting cpvc or vinal tubing shunted out to the pattern of barrels which should probably be brass. I think the vinal tubing would be easier due to it's flexability.

Now for holding the barrels in the spread pattern desired I imagine using a large stiff styrofoam ball that you can find craft stores. Cut it in half or quarter, then drill out holes for the barrels and tubing through the styrofoam and connect them together with T connectors until you get one central tube that attaches to the solenoid valve and air tank. The Foam ball half or quarter can be painted to help disguise it.

You then add a trip wire to a manual valve like on BAMF or attach acouple ont wires to the electronic firing mechanism of the solenoid valve for a remote fireing.

I think this idea has merit, but I really don't know if I'll ever get around to trying to build it. Comments are welcome.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:56 PM

Sounds kinda cool. Let us know if you make one.
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#3 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:30 AM

Im just wondering how you will make a big enough airtank for all these barrels without the landmine being seen. Or you would have to get it to extremly high pressure...I doubt PVC would handle it very well. But if you buried the land mine it may hide it a bit.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

Theres been alot of dicussion about this sort of thing, but not recently. If you search the site you'll be sure to find some info about it.

I recall seeing a mine on someone's homade paintball site, and it involved an air tank, a solenoid valve, a tube full of vegetble die, and a sprinkler head. He had a motion sensor installed on it, and I think he canabalized an RC car for a remote switch.

I think the real challenge with this is getting enough air to all of the barrels evenly. You have to be working with pretty high pressures to get it to work.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

I doubt PVC would handle it very well

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

First off, this is a very unpractical idea, a landmine wont do you much good, and since your using so many barrels, even if your using a small air tank(and you wont), it would still be huge. My advice to you is hide in a corner with a blastfire and pretend to be important.

Landmines have no use in a nerf war, and what are the chances they are not going to see it, know about it, or se you trying to operate it. Cmon guys, this is nerf, not the real army.

THRST
ko

#6 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:22 PM

Now, however, you could make an anutomatic ambush sort of thing via hooking up a meotion sensore or light sensor in very light ares between the batty/batteries and the solenoid.
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#7 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

Someone did that with an airsoft mini. Thatey hooked up a mtion censor to a airsoft mini, hooked up a motion censor, and boom! i forget the site, lemme look for it.

EDIT: ok heres the link. But for some reason it doesnt work, theyre site probobally went down, sorry guys.
THIRST

Edited by THIRST, 05 March 2004 - 03:49 PM.

ko

#8 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:56 PM

A landmine could have a use! Just so long as foam rain also counts for hits. It's not very easy to evenly distribute air to multiple barrels, and I'd just feel bad for sacking my friends 7 out of every 10 hits with one of these things.

Yeah, a low-range motion sensor, laser pointer/photovoltaic tripwire circuit, or just old fashioned pressure/tension trips would work for something so easy as a contact-switch activation. Remote would just be... Well, dishonorable. The ultimate in camping. May as well just hide in a tree and shoot your foe in the back of the leg.
But hey, I'm probably just deprecated. I have no problem with automatic trip; Silly kids should watch where they're going.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#9 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:40 AM

I doubt PVC would handle it very well

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

I meant that if he had a small airtank, he would have to have his pressure very high, and PVC isn't rated that high, especially the glue.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#10 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

As I see it the tank has to be fairly large in order to get enough air to the barrels. Which means yes hiding it will be an issue. That's why it should be painted. I think it would be most effective if used up in a corner or along a wall, where people will not be looking for it. I.E you get someone to chase you around a corner and have a team mate ready to set off the mine when the pass it.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users