Let’s do something fun

41 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Ugh… I’m so hopped up on meds right now that I can barely think. But people have been poking and prodding me into planning something, SO IT SHALL BE.

July will be a busy time for Minnesota Nerfing. The Season of Foam crew will not be coming to down, but that won’t stop us from having a SoF Nerf Out at the end of July. The leaves this last week of June open, as well as the rest of July. The weekend of the 4th, the 11th and the 18th are still open for a Nerf war.

There was some discussion of holding a night war. The curfew laws in Minneapolis suck, so this is a dicey proposal (technically, no minors should be out after 10pm). Also, Minneapolis parks close after 10pm. If we wanted to have a night war, we would have to do it on private property somewhere.

A second thought would be an indoor war. We saw this done at Hamline University with Koree’s war. The location I have in mind is the Civil Engineering building on the University of Minnesota. Pictures are below in another post.

A third option would be to have just a regular old outdoor war. I have found a new location that I think will work very well for a Nerf war. It is a park on the riverside north of downtown. I went on a Saturday afternoon, and the park was nearly empty (compared to other locations we have used). Pictures are below in another post.

Standard Minnesota rules will apply to any wars we host. That means:

-No plugged Big Blasts, Blast Bazookas, Signal Launchers or Titans

-No singled Rotorockets

-We may ask you to stop using any other guns that we deem to be unsafe.

-Eye protection is required, especially if we do an indoor war.

We can play any gametypes you want.

#2 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

The Civil Engineering Building

I’ve been eyeing this location for awhile now. It is mostly deserted on the weekends and in the evenings. We may get kicked out after awhile of playing, but whatever – there is another outdoor location I have in mind at the University which is well lit at night, and would work as a backup location. Parking is non-existent, unfortunately. If we had a smaller war (6 people or less), this location should work very well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 24 June 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

West River Parkway Park (Near Broadway Pizza)

This is an expansive park, suitable for any sized outdoor war we would host. Pictures speak louder than words.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

Good work, Beaver. I wouldn't mind having wars all of the last three weekends in July. I don't think there are enough people who can go to CHANO, nor does CHANO yeild large enough attendance to make the trip worth while. So, what I think we should try is having the outdoor warm-up at West River Parkway Park on July 11th. It's a pretty typical outdoor war, just at a new location. So, my main question is whether we could play in the Civil Engineering building all night. I'd imagine it would be fairly deserted if we were playing in the middle of the night. If we can, I think we should just have the whole "night war" inside. Otherwise I was thinking we would have part of the night war outside, and then moving inside. If the indoor venue is avaible, I don't see why not to use it.

#5 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Drugs are bad, Beaver. Get help...
New Locations look awesome, and West River may finally provide a replacement for Highland that isn't busy.
The only day in July we're free is the 25th, the day we were planing to move the SOF war to, and that day is also potentially filled. Hopefully we can make something.
We have no sig.

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Drugs are bad, Beaver. Get help...

You misunderstand. Prescription drugs. They ARE the help, unfortunately...

I'm unavailable on the weekend of the 4th or the 11th, but you guys should try to plan something anyways. We could try an indoor war on the 18th if you wanted. I think the building should be clear even during the day on Saturday, so we don't have to stay up all night to use it.

#7 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Can we please play at this new park for the "SOF" war?

I'm getting tired of Highland.

Also, Beaver....When did you take those pictures? There's nobody there.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

I will be out this weekend, and the weekend of the fourth due to a vacation on my birthday (yay fun fun right?) so... yeah. I would be all for ANY new venue. Highland is fun, and the new area of it we played in was fun, but its so boring now, as Ryan stated.

Oh, and Ryan. Hopefully the next war you are at I will be making a purchase of the +bow kind from you. I noticed you had nothing in stock, but you restock often I will keep my eyes open in your thread. This is assuming I have the money of course.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#9 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Oh, and Ryan. Hopefully the next war you are at I will be making a purchase of the +bow kind from you. I noticed you had nothing in stock, but you restock often I will keep my eyes open in your thread. This is assuming I have the money of course.

I'll be at the war at the end of the month of course. I can have a +bow for you.

But anyway, back on topic....

#10 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'll be at the war at the end of the month of course. I can have a +bow for you.

But anyway, back on topic....

Gracias Ryan. I will hopefully have money by then. I will let you know ahead of time however.

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

I took these pictures of the park about 10 days ago. It's in the warehouse district, which would probably explain the lack of people. I could check in again this weekend to see if it is busy.

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

How many of those areas have paths right by them? That was one of the best features of the Highland area, was that we barely ever had to stop for pedestrians. While paths and benches look like a lot of fun, I'd be worried about charging around a corner into some family going for a walk.

Edited by Carbon, 24 June 2009 - 09:39 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#13 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

There was some discussion of holding a night war. The curfew laws in Minneapolis suck, so this is a dicey proposal (technically, no minors should be out after 10pm). Also, Minneapolis parks close after 10pm. If we wanted to have a night war, we would have to do it on private property somewhere.

Okay, time out. While it won't be pitch dark before 10 I would still call anything from 8-10 a "night war." The fireworks for the 4th of July start at 10. If it's dark enough to have fireworks, it's dark enough to have a night war.

Plus, I think it's alright for Night War to mean "hard to see," not just "impossible to see."

And yes, I think the minors will be alright going up to 10. I have never heard of anybody getting a curfew ticket in the car on their way home (provided they don't do something stupid to get pulled over anyways), not before 3 AM anyways.

That's my take on things.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#14 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

I could do one this weekend or any weekend except the 25th (canoe trip in the BWCA), a night war would be cool but I think that it would be a little weird to have one for only two hours... How about a war that starts at 4PM or something and runs until 10.
I am interested in trying out that new outdoor location as well as the indoor one.

I'll get pictures up of my local park later.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#15 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

A 2 - 10 war would be great for SoF; we can do the afternoon war at a park, go out for dinner, and then do the night war. Since it looks like you guys aren't coming down for the Chicago war, and most of us are still going up for SoF, we should use both our wars in the interim as a place to test out location (well, we can't really do that) and gametypes.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#16 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

A 2 - 10 war would be great for SoF; we can do the afternoon war at a park, go out for dinner, and then do the night war. Since it looks like you guys aren't coming down for the Chicago war, and most of us are still going up for SoF, we should use both our wars in the interim as a place to test out location (well, we can't really do that) and gametypes.

I was thinking about that, but a little different.

We should have two fucking wars on the weekend of the 25th. That Friday (24th when SOF was originally supposed to happen), we should have a war sometime starting in late afternoon or early evening and ending around 10. Then do it all over again the next day, the 25th. The second war would be like any regular war starting at 10 and going until 4-5.

This way it would make people from out of town make more of an effort to come up and nerf. As long as you make enough darts and get decent sleep both nights, it should be fun. Multi-day wars should start happening in MN. We have enough people and enough people coming from out of town.

In my theory, Friday night could be good to have a war at another location. Then the next day we can play somewhere else.

Let me know what you guys think about that. Let's make wars in MN as Effeminate as possible.

EDIT: I'd like anyone's input who is going to the SOF war, or even if you aren't. I'm not trying to derail this thread. This just seems like an appropriate place to discuss this.

Edited by Ryan201821, 25 June 2009 - 05:07 PM.

#17 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

All I have to say is Hell Yeah. I honestly can't wait. The idea of a multi day war sounds great. It means two different play styles for me though, which can't be a bad thing.

#18 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

How many of those areas have paths right by them? That was one of the best features of the Highland area, was that we barely ever had to stop for pedestrians. While paths and benches look like a lot of fun, I'd be worried about charging around a corner into some family going for a walk.

There is a large central area of the park which is far away from the bike and pedestrian paths, so we should be clear from them.

#19 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Wait, the SOF war isn't happening any more?

#20 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

The war is happening but they can't make the trip, there was a whole thread about it a week ago.

In other news; I am up for a two day war.

Rainbow Clan

#21 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

I think a multi-day war sounds awesome. If we go to the park near the warehouse district we could get Broadway Pizza which is AMAZING.
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#22 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

I vote that we call the wars on the 11th and 18th "The Clone wars".

Shouldn't there be a thread for these and the SOF two day thing by now?

Rainbow Clan

#23 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

I won't be able to make it the 11th or 18th. The West River Parkway park isn't in a very good neighborhood to have a night war. I think some parents might get concerned.
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#24 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

In case we weren't clear enough, this is the war schedule.

SOF warm-up
Date: July 11th
Time: 10-4 or 5
Address: 499 West James L. Rice River Pkwy N, Minneapolis, MN 55401

Indoor Skirmish
Date: July 18th
Time:10-4 or 5
Address: 500 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN

SOF day one
Date: July 24th
Time: 2 or 3 until 9 or 10

SOF day two
Date: July 25th
Time: 9-4 or 5
Address: 499 West James L. Rice River Pkwy N, Minneapolis, MN 55401

So, what wars can you guys make it to?

Edited by venom213, 30 June 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#25 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't be able to make the first two, but I'll be able to make the second two plus another person.

It would be nice for you to make a separate thread for SOF.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users