A New Splitfire Modification.

No Hacksaws!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

After I acquired my Splitfire, I knew I wanted to modify it, but I really didn't want to take a hacksaw to it either.
I came up with a simple fix for that problem. This modification requires no sawing, dremeling, or any other destructive tools besides your needle-nosed pliers.

Materials:

-Two 6'' segments of the barrel material of your choice (I chose brass)
-Hot glue gun
-Duct Tape
-Electrical Tape
-Needle-nosed pliers
-Silicone Grease
-Screwdriver

Step 1:

Remove the barrel posts in the stock barrels by twisting them out. It is important that you twist them because if you attempt to dremel them out, you risk destroying the entire barrel assembly.

Step 2:

Open up your Splitfire and remove the trigger spring. Place this spring somewhere safe and remember where it goes. After you do that, take out the rest of the gun and pull out the pump. See that hole on the back of the pump? That's bad. Fix that up with some hot glue.

Posted Image

Then put a tiny dab of your silicone grease on the o-ring to keep it happy.

Step 3:

Plug any and all holes that you find on the stock barrels with your duct tape and hot glue.

Posted Image

Step 4:

Take your barrel material of choice and wrap electrical tape around it until it fits very tight into your stock barrel.

Posted Image

If it doesn't fit right away, don't force it. Just simply cut off some E-tape until it fits:

Posted Image

Keep in mind that it needs to be as tight as possible without forcing it in.

Step 5:

Shove the barrel down into the stock barrel so that the end of the barrel material is resting on the yellow circle that used to attach to the AR peg:

Posted Image

Step 6:

Hot glue completely around the new barrels to keep them stable and durable.

Posted Image

Finished internals:

Posted Image

One cool part of this modification is that if you ever need to switch barrel materials or need to straighten your barrels, the hot glue is completely removable and you can pull the barrel back out.

Posted Image

You're done! Now go blast someone!

Posted Image

Ranges with 6 1/2 pumps:

With 2 stefans: 51' flat , 61' angled
With 4 stefans: 41' flat , 50' angled
With 6 stefans: 32' flat.

Ranges with 10 pumps:

With 2 stefans: 69' flat, 79' angled

This isn't bad for a secondary gun. Even though the ranges are lower, the modification has the advantage of not being permanent and not destroying your gun. It is a very satisfying weapon to use, especially when you shotgun load it with 4-6 stefans.

Edited by Mehku, 25 June 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#2 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

This mod takes a lot of range out of the splitfire.

Do you think the major decrease in range was worth removing the small chance of ruining
the gun?

Edited by white moonlight, 23 June 2009 - 06:47 PM.

On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#3 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Do you think the major decrease in range was worth having the small chance of ruining
the gun?

Actually, most splitfires have ranges that are about 60'-70'. This modification only takes about maybe 9' out of the range. Cxwq pumped his up to 10 times and got 100' in his mod, but I really don't want to test my splitfire's tank. That is why I'm only pumping it up to 6 1/2 times.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

Do you think the major decrease in range was worth having the small chance of ruining
the gun?

Actually, most splitfires have ranges that are about 60'-70'. This modification only takes about maybe 9' out of the range. Cxwq pumped his up to 10 times and got 100' in his mod, but I really don't want to test my splitfire's tank. That is why I'm only pumping it up to 6 1/2 times.

If you're only pumping to six, then why bother plugging the pump? You're ranges seem fine considering how few pumps it has. And what's the money thing?

#5 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

the gun?

If you're only pumping to six, then why bother plugging the pump? You're ranges seem fine considering how few pumps it has. And what's the money thing?

The money "thing" is my bill collection. Just bills that I find interesting or that are rare. Anyways, I plugged the pump because the overpressure valve kicked in at around 5 pumps.

EDIT: On second thought, I tried pumping it 10 times. I shot my door with it and it destroyed my stefans. I'll post updated ranges later.

Edited by Mehku, 23 June 2009 - 06:57 PM.

#6 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

This is a great entry in the Mod Contest (aside from the difficulty in finding a Splitfire, which the contest specifically says is not a consideration.) It's simple, straightforward, and looks almost stock. Maybe nesting the brass in some cpvc and painting it day-glow orange will make it look at least "straight from Hasbro" for those who aren't familiar with what a stock Splitfire looks like.
Fugly is a feature.

#7 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Do you think the major decrease in range was worth removing the small chance of ruining
the gun?

That's because he put 3 darts in each fucking barrel.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#8 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

If it there is more then just a bit of resistance when putting in the barrel, in means your barrels are being bent. This is why you should use just a bit of e-tape to keep it centered and then goop in the barrels. If you use plumbers goop, the mod will still be reversible (although the brass might not survive the removal). If you don't believe me slide a piece of the next size smaller brass into one of your barrels. Then slide it into the end of a piece of brass that is the same size as your barrel material, making sure that the end you put it in is not a cut end (don't want the brass to be flanged in which would change your results).

Anyway, I do like the mod. 70 feet is more then enough at 10 pumps, and now you have perfectly straight barrels. By the way, 10 pumps is in no way overkill. I'm gonna put a guess at that putting the pressure somewhere between 50 and 60 PSI, which the gun can handle.

#10 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

If it there is more then just a bit of resistance when putting in the barrel, in means your barrels are being bent. This is why you should use just a bit of e-tape to keep it centered and then goop in the barrels. If you use plumbers goop, the mod will still be reversible (although the brass might not survive the removal). If you don't believe me slide a piece of the next size smaller brass into one of your barrels. Then slide it into the end of a piece of brass that is the same size as your barrel material, making sure that the end you put it in is not a cut end (don't want the brass to be flanged in which would change your results).

Anyway, I do like the mod. 70 feet is more then enough at 10 pumps, and now you have perfectly straight barrels. By the way, 10 pumps is in no way overkill. I'm gonna put a guess at that putting the pressure somewhere between 50 and 60 PSI, which the gun can handle.

Just a little bit of resistance bends brass? I didn't notice it bending, but I could be wrong. My stefans fly nice and straight through it, so even if it did bend, it wasn't enough to take away from performance. Next time I take a barrel out, I'll check to see if I really did bend it. Nice find.

If 10 pumps isn't the full tank, then I am happy because I don't want to spring a leak from over pressurizing the tank. Thank you for clarifying that.

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Just a little bit of resistance bends brass? I didn't notice it bending, but I could be wrong. My stefans fly nice and straight through it, so even if it did bend, it wasn't enough to take away from performance. Next time I take a barrel out, I'll check to see if I really did bend it. Nice find.

If 10 pumps isn't the full tank, then I am happy because I don't want to spring a leak from over pressurizing the tank. Thank you for clarifying that.

If it's just a little bit you should be fine. And even if it is getting bent, it won't effect performance much. It would be of greater concern if it was being bent at the end of the barrel.

And I would say 10 to 11 is max, meaning what the tank could handle from repeated use. The one I modded for my friend he doesn't use much, though, so it may not be too good for it. A good idea would be to contact Groove about it. The SF on his second Guru must of lasted a while. He may have had it replaced at some point, though. I'm just not certain.

Edited by TantumBull, 24 June 2009 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users