Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

10 replies to this topic

#1 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:33 PM

Holy Crap. Has anyone seen this? I just saw it. I'm in awe (If you don't want any spoilers don't read on)...

The whole movie climaxes towards the final battle in the end. I literally stopped breathing, covered my mouth and just stared at the screen. I'd just like to reaffirm the fact that Legolas does indeed, kick some serious Orcish ass in this movie. My new lifetime goal is to grow a set of pointy ears and learn the ways of the bow I mean, Jesus.

The Ents! They were one of the best parts! When they assault Sarumon's castle, they utterly decimate it! It was amazing. Gollum turned out to be a very funny and enlightening character. He brought some much needed comic relief to the movie.

What did you guys think about it, if you've seen it?

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#2 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 10:58 PM

I think if you hadn't read the book, it'd be nearly a perfect film. Having read it, it's still "pimp-fresh," but there are some things that piss me off. The whole "lack of the book's ending" was the glaring fault. Jackson spent so much time with his addditional Aragorn cliff scene, the movie would have been too long for the awesome cliffhanger with Shelob. There must have been some series lack of filmage of the 3rd movie to steal such a massive chunk from the 2nd movie.

Otherwise, the movie is awesome. The massive army left me literally sitting there with pie-eyes and my mouth agape. :) I'm ready to see it again.
-=JiF=-

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people."

#3 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 11:26 AM

I love the movie. It was so good. My favorite scene had to have been the battle for Helm's Deep. The character that I have found to be my favorite, is probably Gimley, the dwarf warrior. Especially in the scene where Sriker throws him. I thought that was hysterical. As long as the movies keep their wit and humor, and their fantastic story intact, then we're set for "Return of the King". I can't wait.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 02:23 PM

$100m projected by the fifth day. People seem to like it.

The ents at Orthanc. Dayam.

Could Legolas possibly kick any more ass?

But Smegol stole the show.

#5 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 07:57 PM

Smeagol managed to win me over, and then scare the crap out of me. That's definitely an accmplishment. He can be friggin' creepy.
-=JiF=-

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people."

#6 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 08:37 PM

$100m projected by the fifth day. People seem to like it.

The ents at Orthanc. Dayam.

Could Legolas possibly kick any more ass?

But Smegol stole the show.

I think...you summed it up, C, in under 30 words!

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 12:44 AM

Good film, but a needlessly loose adaptation of the book. I understand Jackson has to calculate for pacing and must cut certain things out, but in this film he changed fundamental things for no aparant reason. In the text Faromir never desires the ring. He is given the choice and denies the ring....so jackson thinks, "Hey, wouldn't it be great if he fucked with Frodo instead?" I mean it doesn't alter a thing in the end but to completely rewrite the character of this guy who is supposed to be the only other worthy man of gondor. And Elves at Helm's deep? Why? The cliff scene gets us no where either, except to add hesitation to characters that tolken never gave it to. Jackson has done a massive and amazing job, but he seems to desire desperately to insert conflict into characters that are fundamentally good and without temptation. Jackson agrandizes certain characters (aragorn and legolas (primarlily legolas)) at the expense of other characters. The first film was shot as closely to the book as was humanly possible to maintain arc and pace, while the two towers seemed to be more of a reimagining of the book in many ways.

VACC

#8 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 10:33 AM

I must say, I am in total agreement with Vacc on this one. Don't get me wrong: I liked the movie, immensely. The movie, of itself, had very little which upset me (the single most poignant thing I can think of is the fact that Treebeard yells and within ten seconds, every notoriously-slow Ent in Middle-Earth answers his cry). However, as an adaptation of the book, it was sorely lacking. Forgive me if I am being naive, but I was under the assumption that if one had decided to adapt a work from one medium to another, the decision was forged upon admiration for the genius of the original work. So, why then would one alter any bit of that pure genius which need not be altered? It vexes me.

In summary, I liked the movie. But to quote Tycho from Penny Arcade, "...Peter Jackson is a filthy heretic."

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#9 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 07:39 PM

Well, I don't share Death's view that jackson is a "dirty heretic" in the least, I just think that he put too much of his own spin on what is arguably the biggest fan-boy zone in the universe. Over all the movie came out right in the end, tying things up nicely, and I completely understand that JAckson had need for paceing and intercutting changes. I also understand that he had to draw more linear connections than Tolkien did and to combine certain aspects (Arwen is pretty much everybody). I also understand that Tolkien was by far his own biggest critic and that he knew that the books were flawed in many respects. However, these are not the things that bother me. Tolkien invisioned this trilogy as England's own mythology. He also, at first unwarily and later very knowingly, inserted a lot of his strong christian views into his work. With this in mind you must understand that Tolkien did NOT write a black and white book by any means, but that where there is no doubt or trace of evil it was very much intentional, and I feel has strong bearing on the story. I think Jackson did some things that he simply didn't need to in altering the few pure characters that there were, and that is where I have a problem. That said, I think it was a great flick and will see it at least once more.

VACC

#10 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 03:06 PM

cool im back but to comment on this i would always say the book is better but it is still a damm good movie
Die you super-monkey fuck!

#11 Iceman17

Iceman17

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:20 PM

A very fine movie. But the book was much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users