The best of both worlds

17 replies to this topic

#1 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

UPDATE

A member was contacting me asking how my gun fired exactly, so I thought I should add a video of the action.

Video

Also here are some more pics of the updated version of the gun. I changed the grip so its now a PVC handle with a nice foam grip. The Springs have not changed, although there have been minor adjustments using duct tape to improve seal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If your like me who put the stock LS and BBB spring inside your LS before any reinforcements, chances are you had to single your longshot. Problem here is that singled longshots make the clips obselete and greatly reduce the ROF. There have been many solutions before, such as ice's string mod and hereticorps foregrip, and if your boltsled has not broken then this mod probably doesn't apply to you, but my solution is easier.

The Completed Gun
Posted Image

Posted Image

I am very sorry for not have made this earlier, it really helps clarify everything I did in this mod and make it easier to understand. I didn't realize how easy it was to do, but now that I have this pic up i hope it helps everyone understand how my mod works.

What happens is the bolt cpvc part pushes the dart into a coupler, and at the end of that coupler is PETG. PETG is looser than cpvc so darts slip in easier (of course PETG doesnt stay in the cpvc coupler really well so you need some e-tape to keep it steady).
So what you have is essentialy a PETG barrel in a cpvc coupler, and a cpvc bolt that pushes the dart into the PETG at the other then of the coupler.

What I did is I took a pipe of cpvc and glued that to the part where the plunger head meets the black plastic inside the plunger body. The length of this pipe is very important, too long, and a stefan won't pop up when the magazine is present; too short and it won't reach seal properly. At the other end of the shell, I put a coupler at the end of that for the cpvc to stick into (See pictures).

Posted Image

At the coupler, I stuck some petg into the coupler which is used as the actual barrel (e-tape around it to ensure a tight seal around the coupler). Also, I put some popsicle sticks and washers to allow the stefans to be smoothly guided into the petg nested in the coupler.

To make the handle, I drilled 2 holes into the cpvc attached to the plunger head. Then I drilled holes into the cpvc tee and nailed the two together at an angle. I cut a little into the shell and to the sides of the tee for the bolt to fit snugly, then I simply attached some cpvc to the tee which is used for the bolt handle. I also glued between the tee and the shell to ensure no air is leaked into those holes. The reason for this complicated attachment, is because any other method will be blocked by the wings of the magazine and will be unable to slide back.

Posted Image

Here is an image of the breech open

Posted Image

When the bolt is pulled back, the cpvc primes the gun as well as allowing a stefan to pop up from the magazine, then you simply push forward and the stefan will be moved into the coupler where it will then be inserted into the petg.

Ranges: 80-100 ft -probably cause my barrel material is too loose.

Also, because there is no stopper of any sort above the magazine, sometimes multiple bullets will pop out when priming, so I need to keep my thumb there for that purpose. However, this allows me to easily breech load multiple stefans into the clip at any time. I can still get off a shot about every 4 seconds.

Overall, I'm happy with this mod because it gives almost the rate of fire of a regular LS with the power of as many springs as you want. I will be happy to clarify anything that didn't sound too clear.

Edited by Phibonnachee, 09 June 2010 - 10:27 PM.

De-single your longshot Longshot --- 4B magazine breech BBBB

#2 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

Cool idea. It's been turned into a CPVC breech instead of simply singling it. I bet with a little work (or some carbon fiber or fiberglass) you can make a CPVC breech that uses the existing priming system.

Need to go shopping tomorrow to try that...
Gimme back my bullets....

#3 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

If you get your singled longshot to accept the longshot clips then it is no longer singled. Nice Job.

I assume the rest of the barrel is cpvc right?

In your first pic there is this black thing on the end of the barrel. What is its purpose?
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#4 ChaosRaisin

ChaosRaisin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

Nice mod and i like how you kept the use of the clip. Just one question, why didn't you use the cpvc tee as the coupler instead of gluing, nailing, screwing it onto the coupler?
Zorn- "Or, if you play the socal/"real" way, you have some pokeballs, some energy cards, and two dudes in caps who yell at each other."

#5 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

From what I see it is just simply having the CPVC with the handle going into the coupler like assasinNF's and just using the clip rather than assuming it won't work. Because I'm going to assume that the CPVC with the handle on it pushes the dart into the other CPVC, wouldn't that leave a small gap between the two pieces of CPVC? (Which would decrease ranges).

#6 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

durka -The rest of a barrel is petg nested in a cpvc coupler

chaosraisin -Clips fit around cpvc nicely, but anything larger and it won't fit, what is required is a handle that attaches to the small surface area at the top of the cpvc

wing'd -I actually had this made before his mod (although he posted it first), the cpvc pushes the dart into petg that has been nested into the coupler

ps: if anyone can tell me how to quote multiple people that would be really helpful

#7 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

ps: if anyone can tell me how to quote multiple people that would be really helpful

Under each post there are two buttons. Reply and Quote. Click the quote on each one you want to quote then hit add reply at the bottom of the page.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

From what I see it is just simply having the CPVC with the handle going into the coupler like assasinNF's and just using the clip rather than assuming it won't work.

My thoughts exactly. The clip still fits into my ZLS, but the head of the bolt going through the CPVC prevents the bolt from moving back (it hits the clip). If I could get rid of that, my breech would work just like this. I might just try it.

Great work, Phibonnachee. Maybe I can get my breech to work like this...

EDIT: Damnit! Now that I've thought about it it's too perfect to ignore. I'm redesigning my breech. Thanks for the idea, Phibonnachee.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it's not going to work with my setup. I'm going to stop before I fuck up my gun.

Edited by AssassinNF, 22 June 2009 - 12:33 AM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#9 navyseal849

navyseal849

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Is performance better then an angel breeched longshot do you think? Is it easier then an angel breeched longshot?
To stop yourself from having mood swings take a cyanide pill! Guaranteed to permanently prevent changes in your mood!
QUOTE(Hi Yah! @ Jun 28 2009, 07:45 AM) View Post

That thing is huge! You should get a leash for it.

#10 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

Is performance better then an angel breeched longshot do you think? Is it easier then an angel breeched longshot?

The angel breech shoots faster because there is a dart stop and the bolt is closer. It also has a piece above the magazine to prevent multiple bullets from flying out. It probably doesn't have as much power as my mod simply because it can't handle as many springs as this. Ease of modding however, I would say this is alot easier because you don't need to mess around with different sizes of brass. However, personnally I would go with an Angel Breech if your boltsled is broken. This is just a good alternative to broken boltsleds thats easy.

#11 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

I don't like singed LS's at all, It takes away one key factor in the clipped ones, the dart tooth.
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#12 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

This will be useful if my LS ever breaks...

I mean, it'll only break if my Big Bad Sexy can't be fixed and I feel like salvage.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#13 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

I don't like singed LS's at all, It takes away one key factor in the clipped ones, the dart tooth.

The dart tooth is really only used to reduce deadspace by pushing the bullet further into the original chamber, but because its a different barrel, it is no longer necessary. I suppose you could always straw mod your breech to reduce deadspace...

This will be useful if my LS ever breaks...

I mean, it'll only break if my Big Bad Sexy can't be fixed and I feel like salvage.

Ya I was annoyed when LS broke and I had to resort to singling it. It took away its great ROF, but I guess it added some power. But now that it can still use clips and still have the power of singled LS's, it doesnt really bug me anymore.

#14 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

Nice mod. Too bad I just bought a new bolt for my failed Angel Breech, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted to do this. However, I'm not sure I can replicate this given what you've posted. If you could post pics of the Longshot opened up with a close-up of the bolt, I'd be most grateful. Also, you said the length of the CPVC was important - can you place a ruler alongside the bolt so we can take measurements?

Much thanks.
Fugly is a feature.

#15 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

When I tried this on my singled LS, I found that the CPVC is simply too big to load one dart at a time. It always tried to push 2 darts into the barrel, which obviously didn't work. How are you getting yours to load properly?

The dart tooth is really only used to reduce deadspace by pushing the bullet further into the original chamber, but because its a different barrel, it is no longer necessary. I suppose you could always straw mod your breech to reduce deadspace...

What? The dart tooth's purpose isn't to reduce dead space, it's to load the dart into the longshot's "real" barrel. The crap in front of the breech is just a pitiful "fake" barrel. Without a dart tooth, a stock Longshot won't even fire the dart. Of course, custom breeches completely remove the need for a dart tooth, since they involve an actual barrel in front of the breech.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#16 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

UPDATE

A member was contacting me asking how my gun fired exactly, so I thought I should add a video of the action.

Video

Also here are some more pics of the updated version of the gun. I changed the grip so its now a PVC handle with a nice foam grip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Phibonnachee, 09 June 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#17 Foam Ninja

Foam Ninja

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Ok my question is how in the hell did you make it so silent?
QUOTE(Soothsayer @ Jul 18 2010, 03:51 PM) View Post

Still haven't beat Foam Ninja in a sword fight

1.The baby would blow up do to being made of pure fail.
2.I GIVE UP! I AM GETTING MY GAS ELSEWHERE!!
-Nerf Mafia

#18 nerf22

nerf22

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Oh my god! :o I just finished almost the same exact thing. Anyway, amazing job. I love it.
It's Nerf or Nothin'

Oh and Three Days Grace rocks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users