Spiderman Gun Thing

Not an SMDTG, a springer.

9 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:16 AM

I found this neat like spiderman gun at my local RiteAid.
Posted Image

On first glance, the gun flat out sucks. The plunger stroke seems to be less than 2 inches, it will never fit on the wrist of anyone over the age of 5, and it suffers from crossbow syndrome - the barrel and the plunger are in different places. Plus, the air restrictor must be pretty fucking badass because NO air comes out without a dart in it. Oh, and the ranges are 10 feet max.

It has a weirdass cocking mechanism, too. You pull it, and release it, and it returns to it's original position, minus a few millimeters. Then you push the plunger rod like a button, and it fires. The video at the end of this mod shows what I'm talking about.

Let's open 'er up!
First remove the 6 screws at the bottom:
Posted Image
Then, before it will open, you must pry off/slide over this cap:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Mine came off with a little prying. It wasn't too hard.

Now the gun should open up fine:
Posted Image
Here's the internals:
Posted Image

Time to get out the dremel.
Cut this extra shit off:
Posted Image
This part is optional, but it makes the gun smaller. It's never going to fit on your wrist anyway.

Now, cut off the crappy barrel:
Posted Image
Your plunger tube should now look like this:
Posted Image

Before I went further, I disected the barrel out of curiosity:
Posted Image
You remember when I mentioned the freakish air restrictor? It has a fucking o-ring on it!
Posted Image

Now glue on a barrel of your choosing. I used the original barrel, because it looks cool and it fits my darts pretty good:
Posted Image
Make sure you cover up that open place in the plunger with glue:
Posted Image

And now your done!
Posted Image

Size comparison with a Longshot Scope:
Posted Image

Now this gun performs similarly to an eliminator, with ranges of about 30-40 feet. It's pretty small, so it could be good for integrations. It's awkward as hell to fire, though. Here's a video showing the weird priming/firing method:
vid-ness
My camera's brightness settings are getting worse and worse, so this video's ridiculously dark, but you can see the weird priming mech at the beginning.

It's a neat little gun, but it's not going to see any use unless I slap it onto something else. It's just too awkward to aim/fire on it's own.

Q's/C's/F's?

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

Yeah this is the original spiderman blaster. There's another that's built the same that has Venoms color scheme. I'm not sure if that ones always been around but they popped up after Spiderman 3 movie came out.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#3 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

Pretty cool. If nothing else, looks to be good for mounting on a primary for defense while reloading. Pull one of these and glue twelve of them to a longshot.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#4 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Very nice. I was expecting something like this from you. Your one of the most creative modders on the haven and I love all your work. Very nice again, now I need to go and do this to mine.
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#5 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

This would definitely be something worth putting in something like a Longshot or Big Bad Bow scope for an "emergency" shot. Nice work.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

I love these things to death and they have a great deal of potential right out of the package.
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=13322

When stock they're completely unusable in the way intended by the manufacturer. And the darts that are included with it are handicapped by little rubber inserts in the back of the dart.

But attach it to any blaster and use it to shoot stock dart tag darts or stefans and it gets modified nightfinder ranges without you really having to do much to it. I no longer have to holster a sidearm because of these.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by CaptainSlug, 19 June 2009 - 10:19 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I was pretty sure I'd seen these around here somewhere...

I'm currently trying to revive a Longshot from the dead, and this gun might make a good secondary to strap onto it once I finish it.

And those integrations look awesome, CS.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#8 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

Alright, that's it. It's about time I got a few of these. Seems like an awesome thing to have in a time of need. I will most definitely be getting one of these in the near future.

Slug, I've been meaning to ask you though, I like your use of it on your shotgun, and I'd do the same on mine, but is that not awkward to prime with that mounted there? It looks like it'd be tough to get a good grip without fear of ripping the spiderman thing off.

Are they still as easy to find on clearance as you mentioned in that thread?

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 19 June 2009 - 11:03 AM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

Slug, I've been meaning to ask you though, I like your use of it on your shotgun, and I'd do the same on mine, but is that not awkward to prime with that mounted there? It looks like it'd be tough to get a good grip without fear of ripping the spiderman thing off.

Are they still as easy to find on clearance as you mentioned in that thread?

It's attached to the forestock of the shotgun using 2 long bolts. It couldn't be more solidly mounted.
It's just as easy to prime the shotgun as it was before. And I have the secondary ready to fire whenever I'm reloading the shotgun.

I've seen them at a few stores locally, almost always on clearance. Otherwise they're only $10 from hasbrotoyshop.com

Edited by CaptainSlug, 19 June 2009 - 02:31 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 Gym

Gym

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

I considered this gun for my Nintendo Zapper Integration, but I couldn't get my hands on one. I think it's too big to fit in the Zapper's shell though. I don't have a Rite Aid around here, but if they're stocking it I think I may check around at other stores and maybe get one to see if it would work. Good mod.

Edited by Gym, 19 June 2009 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users