Photo

Question About Fixing Vulcans

15 replies to this topic

#1 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

I was thinking about buying this gun, but I keep seeing negative reviews on websites that people have had problems with the gun jamming due to the loading mechanism failing to advance the belt. What causes this and how can you fix it without damaging the gun?

Also, are there any other problems that people have had with the gun?

#2 Wisp

Wisp

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

Ok... Let's start this off. The vulcan sucks. That's the problem most people have with it.
If you want a decent automatic get a magstrike or a rapid fire 20.
Also, in my experience, if you load the gun right, you usually don't have to worry about jamming.

#3 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Get a tommy 20 hook it up to a 9.6 volt battery and you have the ultimate vulcan.

#4 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

My vulcan had one giant flaw: it suck donkey balls. Don't get it. The worst $45 i've ever spent.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#5 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

So... if I load the darts in ALL the way into the slots in the belt it won't jam? Or is the jamming caused by something else?

#6 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Heh, I got mine at goodwill for ~$10, it was broken, so I fixed it (replaced the spring on the cocking pawl) and bought a chain. It's still a piece of junk even after AR and Peg removal stefans go less than 30' (only 5' better than stock).

Your better off buying a NF/BBB/LS/AT2K/AT3K/BBBB/LBB/DTB/Magstrike/Recon/Mav/etc...

Though if you are dead set on a Vulcan just use the ammo box to hold the chain, I've had no problems with mine to date.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#7 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

Okay so if I,

1. Use the ammo box to hold the belt
2. Put the darts in all the way in their slots

then the gun won't jam?

edit: also, can someone answer my question as to why the gun jams >.>

Edited by Legault, 18 June 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#8 one shot one kill

one shot one kill

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:44 PM

I bought 2 vulcans and never had a problem. Depending on what you are doing with the gun you shouldn't have a problem.

#9 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

I bought 2 vulcans and never had a problem. Depending on what you are doing with the gun you shouldn't have a problem.

I haven't bought the gun, but I did some research on websites like Amazon and a lot of the negative feedback say that the mechanism that advances the belt keeps jamming.

#10 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

Ok here we go:

1. Vulcans usually only jam if you have too much weight pulling on the belt. Using a belt without a box, using a 50-round belt or higher without sufficient support on both sides, etc. causes jamming.

then the gun won't jam?

Yes, the gun won't jam if you do all that. Correct use of the belt prevents jams.

2. The Vulcan isn't the best gun to buy, but it's certainly not the worst either. It's ROF is decent, it's stock range is ok for an automatic, it has a decent amount of ammo to work with, and you don't have to prime/pump it ever. The Vulcan is the king of indoor nerf - unfortunately it's useless outdoors. It's heavy, it takes forever to reload, it's inaccurate, and no amount of modding will increase the ranges significantly.

It really depends on what kind of nerfing you do. Vulcans are great for indoor nerf and Humans vs. Zombies, but they are terrible and useless outdoors.

Get a tommy 20 hook it up to a 9.6 volt battery and you have the ultimate vulcan.

Tommy 20's SUCK. All flywheel guns SUCK. That is the only automatic weapon that is worse than the vulcan in every way.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#11 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:39 PM

Okay so if I,

then the gun won't jam?

edit: also, can someone answer my question as to why the gun jams >.>

The ones that I leave stock don't jam - period. Opening up the chains is all I do. For certain defensible fixed positions in office wars, it's almost untouchable. Trying to run around with it - not so effective. It is what it is, and that's pretty much just what it says on the box. If that works for you - terrific, but if you want much more - the Vulcan might not be the right place to start.

What do you mean by "The ones that I leave stock"?

Edited by Legault, 18 June 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#12 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

What do you mean by "The ones that I leave stock"?

I'm pretty sure he means he has A LOT of Vulcans...
My Vulcan's rotation mech died when I wasn't using the ammo box.

EDIT- Amazon reviews are shit. Out of the thousands of people with Vulcans, the only 20 who post negative reviews (Which is most of them) are the ones that got lemons.

Edited by Echnalaid, 18 June 2009 - 11:45 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#13 Specops

Specops

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:28 AM

And how do you do this, I really want my tommy 20 to be useful.
Call Me Nerf Spec Ops

#14 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

From what I've seen, Vulcans only break/jam when loaded incorrectly or when they don't use the box. You only need the box if you're running around with it, if you've mounted it on a fort then it's fine without it. I've had mine since the beginning of August, totally stock, and it hasn't jammed since I first got it (I just had to master the technique). I haven't even had to replace the batteries, but then I only use it once in a while.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#15 Legault

Legault

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Two more thing, does the weight of the belt on the right side of the gun cause the advancing mechanism to stop? Or is it just the left side if you don't use the box?

Second, how does the gun fire its darts? Is it a spring loaded piston that sends the darts through the barrel?

Edited by Legault, 20 June 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#16 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • State:Delaware

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

Two more thing, does the weight of the belt on the right side of the gun cause the advancing mechanism to stop? Or is it just the left side if you don't use the box?

I think the weight on the right side doesn't really matter. Its possible to use the vulcan without the box, but then you make it more prone to jams. I had to open mine up to fix the rotating mech, and after that, it has never been the same
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users