Photo

Better-than-commercial-quality Crossbow

25 replies to this topic

#1 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

I have a dream... A dream of a better world, where we do not fear of our guns breaking because of the I-don't-give-a-shit-about-your-crying-children CEO who wants more money in his pocket, where we can kill someone by striking them in the frontal lobe and yet continue to play with our guns which remain intact, a gun to enjoy. So, ending the dramatic speech, my idea is to build a crossbow, out of materials such as polypropylene (strong) and steel, which is more durable than the excuses for guns that are out on the market. It shall cock like a shotgun, have a 5-round magazine (drum magazines will be made, too), use shells, and can be powered by crossbow string or internal spring. The goal is to establish a durable platform which others can then make upgrades for. So the things I need to know are:
1. Any features I didn't list you want included (hot tubs or plasma screen TV's shall not be used, no matter how many requests)?
2. Color scheme? (list all that you would like to see, I'll put up the most popular)
3.What kind of darts? I will only use stefans, so either recommend someone or suggest yourself, because I understand that they are different sizes, So I can only use one type. If I make it to the dimensions of your stefans, you will get a free crossbow, and it will attract more people to buy yours.
4. How much would you pay for it? Would you rather bid for it or buy it at a set price?
5. anything else I didn't mention?

No pictures so that none of you plagiarizing bastards take the idea.

#2 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

I have a dream... A dream of a better world, where we do not fear of our guns breaking because of the I-don't-give-a-shit-about-your-crying-children CEO who wants more money in his pocket, where we can kill someone by striking them in the frontal lobe and yet continue to play with our guns which remain intact, a gun to enjoy. So, ending the dramatic speech, my idea is to build a crossbow, out of materials such as polypropylene (strong) and steel, which is more durable than the excuses for guns that are out on the market. It shall cock like a shotgun, have a 5-round magazine (drum magazines will be made, too), use shells, and can be powered by crossbow string or internal spring. The goal is to establish a durable platform which others can then make upgrades for. So the things I need to know are:
1. Any features I didn't list you want included (hot tubs or plasma screen TV's shall not be used, no matter how many requests)?
2. Color scheme? (list all that you would like to see, I'll put up the most popular)
3.What kind of darts? I will only use stefans, so either recommend someone or suggest yourself, because I understand that they are different sizes, So I can only use one type. If I make it to the dimensions of your stefans, you will get a free crossbow, and it will attract more people to buy yours.
4. How much would you pay for it? Would you rather bid for it or buy it at a set price?
5. anything else I didn't mention?

If you make it show it. Please don't post your dreams here, people will just crush them. Concept's don't go so well here.
You will get flamed.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#3 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Wow, never mind then.

Edited by ice, 15 June 2009 - 07:34 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

I got so lost reading this. What are you trying to say?

Super high-quality, homemade crossbow in the making.

#5 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

where we can kill someone by striking them in the frontal lobe

I for one have no interest in killing someone while playing nerf.

I already did this years ago, but I didn't post it because I didn't want a plagiarizing bastard like you to take the idea.

Edited by Crankymonky, 15 June 2009 - 07:35 PM.

Tyranny Response Team

#6 troy2421

troy2421

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

I already did this years ago, but I didn't post it because I didn't want a plagiarizing bastard like you to take the idea.

I did this decades ago, but I didn't post it because I didn't want a plagiarizing baron like bastard to take the idea.
QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Jun 9 2009, 12:10 AM) View Post

I ended up with a reactor with some balls for 25 cents. I mainly wanted the balls...

#7 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

If you didn't post it, is it really plagiarizing? I thought that it is only classified as that when it is readily available, not when it's in someone's house, where I most likely won't find it, unless you WANT me to use binoculars to stare into your house at night. Also, maybe there are people who do like hitting people in the frontal lobe. They would have an interest. So, why the hell not?

#8 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

The NIC is based on sharing of mods and homemades so that everyone can enjoy the hobby. Otherwise how would people get to enjoy things like, Doomsayers, +bow, L+L, K-9 special, etc...?

I'm sure you will get some interest, but it won't be worth your time. Besides, I like my little plastic guns. They are toys and their fragile nature reminds me of that.

Good luck, but I don't see this going far... not once a mod see's it anyways.

#9 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

If you didn't post it, is it really plagiarizing? I thought that it is only classified as that when it is readily available, not when it's in someone's house, where I most likely won't find it, unless you WANT me to use binoculars to stare into your house at night. Also, maybe there are people who do like hitting people in the frontal lobe. They would have an interest. So, why the hell not?

Someone doesn't understand virtual sarcasm.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#10 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

The NIC is based on sharing of mods and homemades so that everyone can enjoy the hobby. Otherwise how would people get to enjoy things like, Doomsayers, +bow, L+L, K-9 special, etc...?

I'm sure you will get some interest, but it won't be worth your time. Besides, I like my little plastic guns. They are toys and their fragile nature reminds me of that.

Good luck, but I don't see this going far... not once a mod see's it anyways.

So you think I should open up another post with a prototype? I remember how once, someone thought of making boltsniper's guns and selling them, people were interested in them, but he got banned for something which I don't know of. So isn't there a certain level were people want to have stronger or more durable guns, like boltsniper's?

#11 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

So you think I should open up another post with a prototype? I remember how once, someone thought of making boltsniper's guns and selling them, people were interested in them, but he got banned for something which I don't know of. So isn't there a certain level were people want to have stronger or more durable guns, like boltsniper's?

I think you should edit your first post and put the prototype there. No need in opening another thread. You got several people to look at your thread right off the bat with your title, but of course you didn't put any proof in the thread and that is why you are being mocked.

Put up some pics, you don't have to put up design templates or anything like CS does. Just let us know you are serious and that you have the craftmanship to back up your claims.

#12 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

I will interject that it can't be entirely plagiarizing CONSIDERING the would-be-plagiarizer wouldn't have all the materials/dimensions/ OR the photographic evidence and a background object to base it all upon. Logic can sometimes be a real b**ch can't it?

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#13 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

I think you should edit your first post and put the prototype there. No need in opening another thread. You got several people to look at your thread right off the bat with your title, but of course you didn't put any proof in the thread and that is why you are being mocked.

Put up some pics, you don't have to put up design templates or anything like CS does. Just let us know you are serious and that you have the craftmanship to back up your claims.

Being that I'm going to be having a company make the actual parts (If people want something better than PVC and duct tape, You're going to need custom parts, and I'm $3000 away from my own machine that makes those parts), I'll have to put up the CAD pictures, but those are the same exact things that the gun will be made off of, so big difference.

#14 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

I will interject that it can't be entirely plagiarizing CONSIDERING the would-be-plagiarizer wouldn't have all the materials/dimensions/ OR the photographic evidence and a background object to base it all upon. Logic can sometimes be a real b**ch can't it?

Out, Out! I shall not have this "logic" ,as you call it, terrorizing my topic!

#15 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

So your asking use to give OUR opinion, but you won't even share yours?
To me, this seems POINTLESS, STUPID and RETARDED to make a "new" crossbow. We have a newer modular one called the + Bow. Mayby you should look at that.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#16 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

So your asking use to give OUR opinion, but you won't even share yours?
To me, this seems POINTLESS, STUPID and RETARDED to make a "new" crossbow. We have a newer modular one called the + Bow. Mayby you should look at that.

First, let's start off with this: Jewelers, when designing a custom piece, Don't just say "Okay, here's an ordinary design, now, do you want it yellow or white?", they start from scratch, using the opinion of the customer, and that's the way I want to make this a reality. Not just putting something in your face and asking, "blue or red?", but letting it be something which is meant to go with you. Now, with the +bow, let's look at that. I don't think that it is a bad design, it's just a bit dry, in terms of features. It doesn't have the actual crossbow string, which is better than a spring because it can easily be replaced. It doesn't have a magazine (correct me if I'm wrong and there is a mod with one), and it seems kinda fragile to me. Besides, variety is the spice of life. just 1 is no variety.

#17 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

So what your saying is, is that you want to use this nerf gun to kill people?
The cops will breathe down all of our throats and you will ruin nerf forever (If you actually make it)
Thanks

industrial designer

#18 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

it seems kinda fragile to me.

Haha...seriously, check one of these things out. It is not fragile. That is for certain.

Do it and come back. Until then, this thread sucks.

#19 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Do you understand how an actual crossbow works?

Because it seems to me that you think that the string holds the energy while in fact it is the bow arms.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#20 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Your posts make me lose faith in humanity. I hope you're never allowed to breed.

A crossbow string? Better than a spring? Springs won't wear out as fast, and keep the gun nice and compact. Also since the plunger rod on a +bow goes all the way back to the butt of the stock, you couldn't easily aim properly with a string in the way.

Magazines tend to be unreliable, at least in my experience. That, and who needs one when you have a breech loader capable of 140 feet?

And durable? My friend made a +bow. There didn't seem to be any real way to break it.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#21 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

Your posts make me lose faith in humanity. I hope you're never allowed to breed.

A crossbow string? Better than a spring? Springs won't wear out as fast, and keep the gun nice and compact. Also since the plunger rod on a +bow goes all the way back to the butt of the stock, you couldn't easily aim properly with a string in the way.

Magazines tend to be unreliable, at least in my experience. That, and who needs one when you have a breech loader capable of 140 feet?

And durable? My friend made a +bow. There didn't seem to be any real way to break it.

Okay fine, +bows aren't fragile, fine fine, I get it, pardon me for not investing hundreds in those. Now, how do you know what kind of string I'm using? And it will be possible to interchange the string with a spring. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I think you are talking about magazine's without shells. Yes, those suck. But the gun will use shells, so you won't get any squished darts! Isn't breech-loading cumbersome when you have to reach into your pocket, get a dart, open the breech, put it in, close the breech, cock the gun, and shoot, when a single pump stroke will do the same? Also, is there any faith left to lose for humanity?

#22 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

Do you understand how an actual crossbow works?

Because it seems to me that you think that the string holds the energy while in fact it is the bow arms.

I do, and the bow arms are going to be steel for that very purpose.

#23 baron

baron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

it seems kinda fragile to me.

Haha...seriously, check one of these things out. It is not fragile. That is for certain.

Do it and come back. Until then, this thread sucks.

No, you. :D

#24 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

You sound just like the "Great Ideas" Jewstein (UberGoober) comes up with. Enough making homemade guns out of Polycarb and stuff and just buy a NiteFinder and have fun. Who's tired of hearing noobs go on about making homemades? It is too much work to make one from scratch, work that you can't even imagine. It is not worth it in any way. Plus, the money you spend to make this could've just bought you a shiny, expertly crafted +Bow from Hereticorp or Ryan McNumbers.

Edited by Echnalaid, 15 June 2009 - 08:52 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#25 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

Okay fine, +bows aren't fragile, fine fine, I get it, pardon me for not investing hundreds in those. Now, how do you know what kind of string I'm using? And it will be possible to interchange the string with a spring. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I think you are talking about magazine's without shells. Yes, those suck. But the gun will use shells, so you won't get any squished darts! Isn't breech-loading cumbersome when you have to reach into your pocket, get a dart, open the breech, put it in, close the breech, cock the gun, and shoot, when a single pump stroke will do the same? Also, is there any faith left to lose for humanity?

Shells suck. When you go to reload you have to reach into your pockets x times, pull x darts out of your pockets, put x darts in shells, put x shells in the magazine, then prime the blaster, and fire. So for that, the equation is graphed as y=4x+2. With a breach, y=7. X is the number of darts in the magazine and y is the number of steps it will take to reload your gun. Unless x is less than one, breeches are faster than shelled magazines. Shelled magazines may have a higher burst rate of fire, but overall, simplicity is key.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users