Suck It Spielberg!

ROTK tied for Most Oscars Ever.

32 replies to this topic

#1 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:13 AM

Return of the King just walked away with 11 Oscars. Booya!
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#2 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:17 AM

11 out of 11, damn strait. God I love that movie. I'm one of those creepy people who dress up to go see the movies. You should see my legolas costume. It took me months. VERY detailed. I work at a tailoring shop so I know my stuff.

Edited by TheHaze, 01 March 2004 - 12:22 AM.

When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#3 Jappo

Jappo

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:45 AM

Wow, 100% success rate. That's what you call dominating. The film is amazing and it is definatley getting the credit it deserves.
"When life gives you lemons, you squish those lemons into the eyes of your enemies." - Jappo

#4 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, ROTK dominated everything. Nobody had a chance. Not even Master and Commander, and that was supposedly a pretty good movie.
Spectre of the CFM

#5 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:41 PM

11 out of 11, damn strait. God I love that movie. I'm one of those creepy people who dress up to go see the movies. You should see my legolas costume. It took me months. VERY detailed. I work at a tailoring shop so I know my stuff.

Please tell me you read the books....

And PLEASE tell me you read the books FIRST.

#6 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, ROTK dominated everything. Nobody had a chance. Not even Master and Commander, and that was supposedly a pretty good movie.

Master and commander was a very cool movie. I think its one of those movies that are only good in the theaters though, it was so loud it sounded like you were there.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:11 PM

11 out of 11, damn strait.  God I love that movie.  I'm one of those creepy people who dress up to go see the movies.  You should see my legolas costume.  It took me months.  VERY detailed.  I work at a tailoring shop so I know my stuff.

Please tell me you read the books....

And PLEASE tell me you read the books FIRST.

Yeah well sorry if we don't like reading ten pages about grass. Books were dull as hell. I don't know, some people dig boring.

Edited by Talio, 01 March 2004 - 04:12 PM.

New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

Which LOTR movie do you guys think was the best? Personally, I think the first was the best for plot, the second was best for battle scenes, and the third was best for visuals. Overall I think I like the second a little more than the third.

*sorry for going a little off topic

Edited by Formerly Sane, 01 March 2004 - 04:23 PM.

NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#9 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

Umm... why is the title "Suck it Spielberg"? It's not like they broke one of his records, Titanic was directed by James Cameron.

#10 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:24 PM

Ten pages about grass? Hmm.

I thought it was an outstanding movie. Everyone at my school said that it was good, but not good enough to win eleven Oscars.

Not only did I think that they did deserve the Oscars, but not all of them determined that it was a good movie. I mean any award is good, but if you have a good supporting actor or something the movie could still suck.

The one award that did mean that it was a good movie was Best Picture.

Thumbs up to Peter Jackson!

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

Master and commander was a very cool movie. I think its one of those movies that are only good in the theaters though, it was so loud it sounded like you were there.

Fool, that's because your system is weak like a little girl with polio! I WAIT to see big budget movies on dvd. That is all.

VACC

#12 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

I didn't think ROTK was that good compared to the first two. I agree with formerly sane about how each movie has it's moments. The only thing I really didn't like about the last one was all of the ghosts coming out and dominating. But if its in the book, its in the movie. I thought mystic river was gonna take best picture, from the things I heard.

#13 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

I really loved the books...

10 pages about grass is exagerating a little there, but yeah... I mean, reading the Odyssey was boring as hell... Stupid descriptions and stuff.

~Mystic~

#14 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:56 PM

Books were dull as hell.  I don't know, some people dig boring.

Blasphemer. They did have slow parts though. I have read better books, but very few come close to touching the story.

#15 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

I really enjoyed the books, too. I thought it would've been cool if in The Return of the King: The Movie they had the hobbits save the Shire. Like they did in the book.

If you've read it.

#16 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:38 PM

I really enjoyed the books, too. I thought it would've been cool if in The Return of the King: The Movie they had the hobbits save the Shire. Like they did in the book.

If you've read it.

I don't think they even filmed it, :nugget:

Which sucks. But I don't remember what I heard about it. I did hear it's supposed to be like 4 hours and 10 minutes long. I also heard certain scenes were completely refilmed. So not only will there be extra scenes, but completely different scenes. Like at the black gate. Mouth of Sauron, baby.

If I heard correctly.

#17 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

I want to take pride (?) in being about the only human being who has yet to fully see any Lord of the Rings film. I saw about half of The Fellowship of the Ring, and that was it. I never have, and I doubt will have the incentive to see any, outside of The Hobbit, if they release it.

Never mind why about any of the above...just sharing my opinion, as I am allowed to. And will.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#18 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:52 PM

I want to take pride (?) in being about the only human being who has yet to fully see any Lord of the Rings film. I saw about half of The Fellowship of the Ring, and that was it. I never have, and I doubt will have the incentive to see any, outside of The Hobbit, if they release it.

Never mind why about any of the above...just sharing my opinion, as I am allowed to. And will.

You aren't the only one. My books are collecting dust, as they have for the last 5 years. I never was captivated by The Lord Of The Rings... it never really interested me in the least bit. I find it to be a little overplayed and I find it a little annoying that everyone rants that it is the greatest movie series ever. I've seen much better stories, plots, characters, visuals, fight scenes... and it was all done before this movie. I just don't care for this movie... and it's sad that it won 11 oscars, when in a few years, it'll get dwarfed by another big movie, and we will forget about it.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#19 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:34 PM

Umm... why is the title "Suck it Spielberg"? It's not like they broke one of his records, Titanic was directed by James Cameron.

Yeah I know, the title was partially influenced by the fact that Spielberg presented the award which I found ironic because he's only won 3 Oscars in his career while Peter Jackson won about 3 last night.

I was going to title it "Suck it Cameron" but I dunno... he's been kinda low key lately.
~Famine
of Mag-7

#20 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:18 PM

Cam, how can you say that stuff about the movie when you haven't even seen it before? If you watched the trilogy, and not just watched the second one because Ryan took you, you'd see how good the story is. And the visuals. And the music. And the ...yeah everything else in the movie. Those awards were well deserved in my opinion.

Jesus, Famine, is that guy even alive anymore?

Edited by Spectre2689, 01 March 2004 - 10:19 PM.

Spectre of the CFM

#21 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:29 PM

Well according to IMDB it would appear that he's just been whoring himself out, making Titanic Documentaries and helping to produce new special features and documentaries for the plethora of Terminator DVD's coming out. He does still get writing credits for T3 but I strongly doubt the finished product reflects his writings.

Just wanted to throw out a disclaimer that I don't believe either Spielberg or Cameron to be bad Directors/Producers, they're both excellent. It's just that, well, Jackson respected the material, he respected the fans, and they made an amazing 12 hour fantasy Effeminate that deserves to be recognized as one of the greats.
~Famine
of Mag-7

#22 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:00 PM

Yeah don't worry. I read the books years before I even head of the movies coming out. It bugs me when people say they love LOTR and then when I ask what book they're favorite was, they have never even started to read one.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#23 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:22 PM

You aren't the only one. My books are collecting dust, as they have for the last 5 years. I never was captivated by The Lord Of The Rings... it never really interested me in the least bit. I find it to be a little overplayed and I find it a little annoying that everyone rants that it is the greatest movie series ever. I've seen much better stories, plots, characters, visuals, fight scenes... and it was all done before this movie. I just don't care for this movie... and it's sad that it won 11 oscars, when in a few years, it'll get dwarfed by another big movie, and we will forget about it.

Why is it sad that it won 11 oscars if it will eventually get dwarfed? That's happened to pretty much every Oscar-winning movie in history with the exception of a few classics like Casablanca and Citizen Kane.

Also, I challenge you to name 1 movie with better visuals than the LOTR. I mean, they developed brand new technology just for the fight scenes. Each individual character in the scene, of whom there were more than 50,000, made independent decisions. The fight scenes weren't even scripted, they gave the individual characters AI and let them battle it out while filming it, all in a virtual world. Pretty damn neat IMO.

#24 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:18 AM

I never was captivated by The Lord Of The Rings... it never really interested me in the least bit.
I find it a little annoying that everyone rants that it is the greatest movie series ever.
I've seen much better stories, plots, characters, visuals, fight scenes... and it was all done before this movie.
I just don't care for this movie
... and it's sad that it won 11 oscars, when in a few years we will forget about it.

Now I can understand that some people might not be in to LOTR. Especially if you're not a big fantasy fan (however if you are a fantasy fan and don't like LOTR then you're just egotistical hypocrite). But that's cool, fantasy's not everyone's cup o' tea. It's a clearly defined genre that does require a certain suspension of belief that some genre's like Suspense, Westerns, or even Sci Fi DON'T ask of you.

Also, if everyone loves a movie and you don't, it can be a bit annoying to listen to everyone prattle on and on about it but everyone's allowed to voice their opinion just as you are yours.

I too have seen better stories, plots, characters, visuals, and fight scenes (not so much scale wise but maybe choreography) HOWEVER I have never seen or heard of ANY movie that has surpassed LOTR in all of those categories and that is why it deserves all 11 of those little gold trophies.

And saying that in a few years everyone will forget about it, well, that's just plain fucking retarded. Sure the frenzy will die down, you won't see movie posters all over the place or Frodo book covers or whatever, but I can't concieve of any fantasy or fictional Effeminate that will eclipse LOTR. The fact that all fantasy and most modern fictional Effeminates are derived from LOTR almost makes that a fact by default (and if any of you say that Harry Potter is unique and original I will gladly spell out why it is not).

Edited by Famine, 02 March 2004 - 12:20 AM.

~Famine
of Mag-7

#25 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:49 AM

And saying that in a few years everyone will forget about it, well, that's just plain fucking retarded.  Sure the frenzy will die down, you won't see movie posters all over the place or Frodo book covers or whatever, but I can't concieve of any fantasy or fictional Effeminate that will eclipse LOTR.  The fact that all fantasy and most modern fictional Effeminates are derived from LOTR almost makes that a fact by default (and if any of you say that Harry Potter is unique and original I will gladly spell out why it is not).

I used the wrong word, I sort of meant that the frenzy would die out. Thank you for pointing that out. I just don't particularly like the fantasy genre, I am all for comedies, thrillers, horrors, action (Lethal Weapon, Maverick, The Matrix, Badboys), and sometimes a more mature Disney movie, such as Pirates of the Carribean. So inconclusion, you got most of what I meant the right way... something hard for some people to do.

I agree that this year, no movie must've came close to earning all of those trophies... but there's gonna be another.

Oh and about Merlinski... I won't even bother with you... it's 7:49 am, and I'm getting ready for school.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users