Bolt Action Bbbb Breeched To Accept Mags

Clips attach from the side

24 replies to this topic

#1 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Here is my breeched BBBB that I made to accept LS clips. I had this idea a while back but it was not until the modding contest did I actually want to create it.

I did not plug the pump for legality reasons, only internals mods performed were reinforcing the trigger and putting a cut SCH40 Conduit on the air tank. I put an ls scope on the gun for looks.

You will need:

BBBB
Dremel
Petg
5/8" brass (depending on barrel material used this may change)
Hot Glue
SCH40
CPVC
E-Tape

Posted Image

I took the 5/8" brass and cut a slot into it for taking in stefans from an LS clip. Etape was also put on the innter lip of the breech in order to retain a better seal. I used 12" of Petg as the barrel because of it's looser fit which is ideal for air guns.

To attach the brass to the conduit on the airtank, I stuck the brass into to a piece of SCH40 (The insides were dremeled to fit) and glued it in. The SCH40 then fits into the conduit allowing for me to remove it if necessary.

Posted Image

The bolt is made by nailing a piece cpvc pipe to the tee. At the end of the cpvc I took a large screw I had lying around and placed it on the end of the pipe. This acts as the handle of the bolt. However, the bolt was still rather flimsy at this point. I took random pieces of cpvc and glued them in on the inside to help guide the bolt smoothly.

Bolt
Posted Image

Bolt Detached
Posted Image

Using a dremel, I cut holes on both sides of the shell, one for the clip to fit in, and one for the bolt to slide from. The clip simply snaps around the brass and a stefan is loaded when the Petg moves forward and back. Ignore the hole in the shell.

Posted Image

Clip attached
Posted Image

To prime, push bolt forward and pull back. Then pump the gun and fire. Ranges have not been measured but I was able to shoot through cardboard from 50 feet away.

Posted Image

Edit: Pictures have been updated and an image of the full assembly has been added.

Edited by Phibonnachee, 10 June 2009 - 09:23 PM.

De-single your longshot Longshot --- 4B magazine breech BBBB

#2 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Nice idea. Is the clip stable when it's connected?

Photobucket allows you to select multiple pictures. When choosing them from your computer, hold CTR and you can select multiple pictures.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#3 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

I love it. Reloading BBBBs usually takes so long. Any estimate for if this saves some time?
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#4 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

If this is your submission to the modification contest, I recommend detailing a lot more in your write up than just saying stuff like:

using a cpvc rod cut down to fit in the shell and then screwing on a large screw I had lying around. I took random bits of cpvc and glued them in on the inside to help guide the bolt.

A clear write up will not only help your chances of winning, it will also help out people trying to duplicate your modification.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#5 2iko

2iko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

Wow, very clean, I love it, planning on doing this with my new BBBB I just got today.

Tips:
Turn camera light off.
Try a little more distance from the weapon for the pics as well.

I have no sig so my posts cut off weird so I'm putting this here. XD

#6 fandango202

fandango202

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:15 AM

Nice idea, I like how you load the mag into the side. Just one question, making an RCBS clip (is that what it is) is so much easier so what exactly is the point? I'm not saying that it was a bad idea, I'm just asking. :-)
When jesus gives you lemons save the recipt.

#7 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

I like this but I do not think it is clear enough to replicate. The mod seems very clean and professional but the write up leaves something to be desired.

I am confused as to how the clip goes in. Do you leave the breech open and then snap the clip into place over the brass? Is there anything that is required of the clip for it to do this or will a stock clip work? How stable is the clip in the side?

Questions aside, I think that the gun is pretty cool looking and I like how the bolt comes out on one side and the clip on the other, great job.

And to answer fandango's question, with RSCB clips the "cool" factor diminishes, it is also highly effective to carry around multiple LS clips and then just snap on a new one when the ammo well runs dry. I would say that an RSCB and this mod are about equal in efficiency.
QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#8 happybiscuit

happybiscuit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

I would say that an RSCB and this mod are about equal in efficiency.

In an RSCB clip doesn't the dead space increase as you shoot it? With an LS mag the dead space stays th same.

Edited by happybiscuit, 09 June 2009 - 11:00 AM.

#9 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

In an RSCB clip doesn't the dead space increase as you shoot it? With an LS mag the dead space stays th same.

Yes, but with the air output of the BBBB it doesn't really make that much of a difference: ~10' between first and last shot (depending on the size of the clip).
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#10 Possemhunter

Possemhunter

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Nice work, but yes, be more detailed in your write up. An easy way to have nice pictures is to make a freewebs website to host them on. You can upload pics to an album on that website from your computer then put the url of the picture in in your post over here. It's what I do for all my posts.

#11 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

I tried mapping this out in my mind some time ago, but gave up.

This is just... AWESOME.

If I can replicate this, I'll definatly be doing this to my BBBB.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#12 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

COOP -yes the clip is stable, just be sure to cut the hole right

Wes -yes it saves time over a speed loader or manual ramrodding

fandango -RSCB clips tend to have jamming problems and creates lots of deadspace, but for a BBBB it really doesn't matter. I RSCB clipped one of my other BBBBs and had troubles with consistency.

Timmy -the clip simply snaps on around the 5/8" brass, it doesn't move. The Petg is the part that does, you can put in a clip whether or not the breech is closed.

#13 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

I did something similar about a year ago, but never finished. Mine was in a different position.

Posted Image

#14 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I don't want to rain on your parade because it's nice looking and you did a fine job, but it's completely pointless putting a clip on something that takes like 6 pumps already. You're not saving any time having it clip loaded.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#15 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

I don't want to rain on your parade because it's nice looking and you did a fine job, but it's completely pointless putting a clip on something that takes like 6 pumps already. You're not saving any time having it clip loaded.

You actually could be, depending on how your darts were loaded before, whether it be ramrodding them down a barrel, pulling them out of your pocket and shoving them into a breech, or putting them into the back of a couplered barrel. All you have to do is open the breech, shut it, pump 6 times, and pull the trigger.

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#16 Zaxbys

Zaxbys

Groove's Protégé

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

You actually could be, depending on how your darts were loaded before, whether it be ramrodding them down a barrel, pulling them out of your pocket and shoving them into a breech, or putting them into the back of a couplered barrel. All you have to do is open the breech, shut it, pump 6 times, and pull the trigger.

No Talio is right. I rocked a BBBB for a couple years and tried a clip for a while but it is not faster or even as fast as just a good ol' turn-around barrel.

Furthermore, with clips there is always the possibility that the dart will jam in the breech or something stupid like that and in the event that happens...consider yourself fucked.

So the lesson to learn here is simple is better.
"Bitces be crazy"

"Hey girl... you like water sports?"

~Groove 6/26/09

#17 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

This is a lifesaver for people like me who seem to suck with speedloaders. I always drop them, forget they are dropped, and move on. I can never seem to get them in the coupler easily. Clips are the same, but I have 6 shots instead of two. I will do this as soon as I can find the materials.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#18 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Your point is valid, Zax.

But just from seeing, I'd do better with clips.

But when they jam... both you and Talio show a major fault.

#19 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

This is a lifesaver for people like me who seem to suck with speedloaders. I always drop them, forget they are dropped, and move on. I can never seem to get them in the coupler easily. Clips are the same, but I have 6 shots instead of two. I will do this as soon as I can find the materials.

How do you not notice your lack of a barrel? I think using clips is usefull only when priming the gun also loads the dart from the clip.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#20 2iko

2iko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Well, I'm thinking with a little modding you could set up a system where you'd pump a handle and it would load your next dart and pump the chamber enough to shoot 60-80ft. This is what I'm looking at doing with this.

I have no sig so my posts cut off weird so I'm putting this here. XD

#21 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

Although the amount of time saved might not be that great (2-3 seconds longer for a speedloader and a little slower vs. an RCSB clip), the convenience is pretty useful. Having to load a round into a speedloader can be troublesome, as it could always fall out, and you have to dig into your pocket. RCSB clips are a pain to fully reload and are somewhat inconsistent. With the clip, you have 6 reliable shots with a fairly easy time to reload (about 5 seconds including the pump). So although the reloads may not be optimal for rushing, the convenience makes it worth it.

#22 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

With the clip, you have 6 reliable shots

Does the clip ever jam?

#23 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

I think that doing something along the lines of two RSCB clips would be more useful. Because the BBBB has a large air output the dead space wouldn't matter. But between speedloaders and clips it's all a matter of preference. Although props on cleanliness. That thing looks like it could be stock.

#24 Rec0n Industries

Rec0n Industries

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

This gun reminds me of the FG-42 from call of duty world at war. :P
If the write up becomes more of a write up, not a here is how I did it post, I'll go get a BBBB and do this, it's definetly worth it.
WIP: Flak Z-35 Heavy assault rifle

#25 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

With the clip, you have 6 reliable shots

Does the clip ever jam?

Every 3 clips or so, 1 bullet for me jams. This is no more often than the frequency of Longshot jams. Fixing jams are also not a problem, since the clips are easily removable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users