Repairs, Any Suggestions?

Crossbow, Splitfire, Secret Shot 2

8 replies to this topic

#1 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

So I went to a flea market today, I struck gold; a Crossbow, a Splitfire, and a Secret Shot 2. I bought them all for a dollar each. But all of them are in disrepair. I have a pretty good idea of what do do to fix them, but I'd like some suggestions from the NIC's collective intelligence.

-The Splitfire appears to be leaking out of the barrel, as well as a crack in the yellow part of the internal assembly. I'll try to lube the valves, and I'll have to find some epoxy to seal the crack.

-The Secret Shot 2 looks to be leaking out of just the barrel, but also the AR/barrel peg piece is loose and wiggles around for some reason. I'm going to just pull out the peg if I can, and lube the valve to see if I can stop the leak.

For the air guns, I am not sure if it will be possible to get to the valves without removing the barrels. Can anyone help me there?

-The Crossbow appears to have been left cocked for a very long time, and it looks like at some point the plunger rod just gave out and the plunger head broke off. There is also a crack in the plunger rod by the catch. I've superglued the plunger head back on, but now I need some reinforcement for that and the crack.

If any of you have suggestions to help me, please share. If you need them, I can post pictures/videos. Thanks.

Edited by Captain, 07 June 2009 - 01:53 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Here's The Exhaustive Guide to Crossbows, by Splitlip.

#3 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

I have seen that before. Unfortunately, the plunger head snapped off at the very tip, so if I try to put pieces of metal there will not be a whole lot there for it to grip onto and the repair will be ineffective.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

I have seen that before. Unfortunately, the plunger head snapped off at the very tip, so if I try to put pieces of metal there will not be a whole lot there for it to grip onto and the repair will be ineffective.

You'll have to make a new one or find a replacement. Yours is broken in ways that are not possible to permanently repair if you intend to modify it further.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 June 2009 - 02:43 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

You'll have to make a new one or find a replacement. Yours is broken in ways that are not possible to permanently repair if you intend to modify it further.

I was thinking that. But I don't want to modify it. I only want to get it working to use in stock form. So you're saying that means it can be repaired?

Edited by Captain, 07 June 2009 - 02:59 PM.

#6 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Not really. You will need to modify the plunger head to get it to work. CS was wrong, it can be done.

A huge, recently common problem is if the entire plunger head stem breaks off. This is more prone to occur if you store the gun while it’s primed, as the constant force on the stem weakens it over time, until it shoots off. The best way to repair this, is to pilot an 1/8″ hole about 1/2″ down into the center of the end of the plunger rod. Take a nice fat 3/4 - 7/8″ mounting or wood screw, run a 3/4″ fender washer, then your plunger head neoprene washer, then another 3/4″ fender washer (both uncut), and screw it into your piloted hole slowly until it can’t go any further. If you’re using the replaced plunger tube, a 1 1/4″ neoprene washer will do the job, but a 1 1/8″ one will be the perfect seal. They’re just significantly harder to find.

Taken from Split's guide.
Yeah, it will work, no it will not be completely stock, either.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: I use a 1 1/4 with my stock PT, it works great

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 07 June 2009 - 03:00 PM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Captain, the problem with your SS2 is that the front sealing surface for the piston is actually that air restrictor and peg unit. Seems to be a rather common problem, but there is not an easy fix. You need to readhere the peg to the front of the tank. The only way I could think of to do it was to actually cut the tank in half, fix the peg, and solvent weld the tank back together. I would be happy to take it off your hands, or to fix it for you. Let me know.

As for the crossbow, I would be happy to build a replacement plunger rod for you, but I would need a template. You would need to send me the old rod to work from.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

Can you please post a few pics of the plunger rod and plunger head? I have an idea but first I would like to see if it will work.

#9 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Its not much but its something... http://nerfhaven.com...tadartinyourass

I hope it helps, or at least spawns a idea.

Edited by BustaDartInYOurAss, 07 June 2009 - 08:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users