Photo

Longshot Replacement Springs?

Which is better?

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is better? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

combined with existing spring:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

total replacement:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

I just scored my second blue Longshot as part of an Ebay lot. I already stuck an industrial NF spring in my existing Longshot (air restrictors out? but of course.) and was wondering what to go with for this one.

I've still got plenty of Home Depot NF springs, and the original springs from my red BBB and my Scorpion Bow (replaced them with NF springs and a PVC coupler, FYI).

Suggestions?

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

Suggestions?

Figure it out on your own.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Suggestions?

Figure it out on your own.

I personaly used a recon spring, because It is stil easily cocked, and and is not powerful enough to be unuseable in an indoor war.

Edited by carlough, 09 June 2009 - 08:13 PM.

RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#4 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

You have springs. You have the Longshot. I assume you have a screwdriver - most people do.

Novel idea. Maybe you could try different combinations and see what works for YOU.

#5 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

You have springs. You have the Longshot. I assume you have a screwdriver - most people do.

Novel idea. Maybe you could try different combinations and see what works for YOU.

Couldn't agree more.

But not to be an ass and post a 3 word response, I'd say a BBB spring for an addition. It's been a traditional addition that seems to have worked well with many other Longshots. For a total replacement, I'd say the AR-15. Just because.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#6 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the tips and the commentary, everyone.

I'm just trying to take advantage of the greater experience of my Nerfhaven peers.

I've always seen this forum as an idea-mine, both good AND bad.

Putting a Big Bad Bow spring in a Longshot = GOOD idea.
Putting a Big Bad Bow spring in an ELIMINATOR = BAD idea.

Holding your thumb on the back of a nearly-cocked Arrowstorm = GOOD idea.
Holding your cheek on the orange tube of a pre-recall Recon = BAD idea.

Gluing a Crayola marker into a gun's barrel = GOOD idea.
Gluing a Crayola in, without taking the wick out first = BAD idea.

Get the idea?

I just want to hear some ideas BEFORE cracking open my new-ish gun, both for my benefit and for my fellow noobs.

This way, we can all avoid repeating each other's MISTAKES, and avoid seeing the ever-popular "Exploding Plastic Gun" trick up close and personal.

I'm STILL growing my eyebrows back after the LAST time.

P.S. just for a laugh, try sticking a marker wick in the barrel of a pump gun. Modern art, anyone?

#7 hikaru

hikaru

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

I understand where you're coming from re: exploding guns, so I'll add my contribution and hope it helps you in your research.

With no easy access to AR-15 parts or BBBs in Australia, I've had success with extra O-rings and a gen 3 NF spring (I've also been using a sharpshooter 1 spring in another longshot, harder to cock than the NF though). I haven't needed to reinforce the bolt sled, and from what I can see there are no visible signs of stress.
You may have already found that the NF spring isn't long enough and does rattle a bit.
The sharpshooter 1 spring however is just the right length, and sits neatly underneath the stock LS spring.

I've been using the sharpshooter one for about 2 years now, no explosions yet.
All of my shooting has been indoors.

#8 Rec0n Industries

Rec0n Industries

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:38 AM

I'd say to go with the silver Ls+BBB spring combo. With AR's removed, I get 90'. :P
I've had mine for about a year now, and there are no signs of stress/cracks on the gun.
WIP: Flak Z-35 Heavy assault rifle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users